Cunard updated vaccination requirements 13th April

3rdGenCunarder

HURRAH! This just hit my inbox:

we cannot wait to welcome you on board for your voyage. The well‑being of everyone on board and in the destinations we visit is of paramount importance to us. As such, we need to inform you that we have updated our vaccination and testing policy, which will apply for your voyage, M230A, departing on 09/23/2022.

For all Queen Mary 2 departures from April 24, 2022 onwards, all Queen Elizabeth departures from May 30, 2022 onwards and all Queen Victoria departures from June 5, 2022 onwards, until further notice, all guests aged 12 years and over will need to be fully vaccinated* in order to travel with us. Children aged five to 11 years old must be fully vaccinated* or provide a valid negative Covid‑19 test certificate at the ship's terminal. Children aged four years and under are currently exempt from pre‑travel vaccination and testing policies.

Guests will need to present a valid negative Covid‑19 test certificate at the ship's terminal. All fully vaccinated* guests will also be required to show proof of their vaccination status at the terminal prior to boarding. For more information on acceptable proof of Covid-19 test results and vaccination status, please visit our website

• Like 2

*The definition of “fully vaccinated” is having completed an approved (by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), or the World Health Organization’s Emergency Use Listing (WHO EUL)) two-dose Covid-19 vaccination course, or the approved single-dose Janssen Covid 19 vaccine, at least 14 days prior to travel. Also, if more than 270 days (calculated from the day of disembarkation from the voyage) have passed since the full completion of a vaccination course, then a booster vaccine will also be required and must be administered a minimum of seven days prior to embarkation. Regardless of the date, if you have already had a booster vaccination then you are eligible to travel.

I got a few emails  and there is a subtle difference between P&O wording and Cunard on timescale for antigen testing when boarding in Southampton.

Cunard

All guests aged five years and over will need to organise and purchase a private antigen test to be taken within one day prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal.

P&O

From 29 April 2022, guests need to organise and pay for a private antigen test within 24 hours prior to embarkation. 

Semantics, maybe but ''one day'' is easier to factor into travel arrangements, than ''24hrs''.

Edited by Victoria2
boarding in Southampton

I am delighted that we will all be fully vaxxed (we both just had our second boosters), but I hope someone here can help with logistics. 

If we have a PCR done at home, could we have results emailed for printing at our hotel?  (We are flying into Vancouver two days before embarkation.)

I don’t know how to arrange for an observed antigen test in Vancouver the day before embarkation. Anyone with experience doing that?

We will call our hotel, but it really isn’t their problem, so I’m hoping for advice from someone who has done each of these.

5 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

I don’t know how to arrange for an observed antigen test in Vancouver the day before embarkation. Anyone with experience doing that?

If you check the Canadian Cruisers forum, there are a number of threads about testing in Vancouver - there is a testing facility at the airport that seems to be popular. (The big drug store chains in Vancouver don't seem to be doing testing.) 

We are flying into Vancouver from Toronto several days pre cruise.  Presently, testing facilities in Vancouver for the public are few.  We are hoping the availability of testing will expand as I suspect as more passengers descend on Vancouver to embark, the limited testing facilities will be unable to cope.  

We're glad to see the update.  However, now that they require an antigen test I'm worried about getting the results on time.  We sail on Sunday, May 15th so we'll get our tests as early as possible on Friday, but i hope that the labs are working full time on Saturday.

Here's a copy of my email:

Important update to our vaccination and testing policy.

Dear Mr rafinmd, we cannot wait to welcome you on board for your voyage. The well‑being of everyone on board and in the destinations we visit is of paramount importance to us. As such, we need to inform you that we have updated our vaccination and testing policy, which will apply for your voyage, M330A, departing on 09/29/2023.

For all Queen Mary 2 departures from April 24, 2022 onwards, all Queen Elizabeth departures from May 30, 2022 onwards and all Queen Victoria departures from June 5, 2022 onwards, until further notice, all guests aged 12 years and over will need to be fully vaccinated* in order to travel with us. Children aged five to 11 years old must be fully vaccinated* or provide a valid negative Covid‑19 test certificate at the ship's terminal. Children aged four years and under are currently exempt from pre‑travel vaccination and testing policies.

Guests will need to present a valid negative Covid‑19 test certificate at the ship's terminal. All fully vaccinated* guests will also be required to show proof of their vaccination status at the terminal prior to boarding. For more information on acceptable proof of Covid-19 test results and vaccination status, please visit our website

*The definition of “fully vaccinated” is having completed an approved (by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), European Medicines Agency (EMA) or the World Health Organization’s Emergency Use Listing (WHO EUL)) two-dose Covid19 vaccination course, or the approved single-dose Janssen Covid19 vaccine, at least 14 days prior to travel. If more than 270 days (calculated from the day of disembarkation from the voyage) have passed since the full completion of a vaccination course, then a booster vaccine will also be required and must be administered a minimum of seven days prior to embarkation. Regardless of the date, if you have already had a booster vaccination then you are eligible to travel.  
We strongly recommend all guests to have booster vaccinations, at the earliest opportunity should they be available to them, in order to comply with evolving vaccine policies from the countries we visit. 

Roy

14 minutes ago, FritzG said:

We're glad to see the update.  However, now that they require an antigen test I'm worried about getting the results on time.  We sail on Sunday, May 15th so we'll get our tests as early as possible on Friday, but i hope that the labs are working full time on Saturday.

They're requiring Antigen tests which can be self administered under supervision and do not require anything more than an internet connection.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 1

I just noticed I copied the wrong thing to the previous post.  Here's the new testing policy from my July 1, 2022 cruise:

Our updated testing policy.  

Voyages departing from the United States of America.

All fully vaccinated guests will need to organise and purchase a medically observed antigen test to be taken within two days prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal. You can order your antigen test kit through any government approved testing provider. Guests will need to present their negative antigen test certificate at the ship's terminal. 

If you’re travelling with children aged between five and 11 years who aren’t fully vaccinated, you will need to organise and purchase a medically observed PCR test, to be taken within two days prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal. You will need to present their negative test certificate at the ship's terminal.

All unvaccinated guests aged between five and 11 years will also be required to take a complimentary antigen test (in addition to their pre-cruise PCR test) once they arrive at the terminal. 

Voyages departing from Canada.

All fully vaccinated guests will need to organise and purchase a medically observed PCR test to be taken within 72 hours, or a medically observed antigen test to be taken within one day, prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal. You can order your test kit through any government approved testing provider. Guests will need to present their negative test certificate at the ship's terminal. 

If you’re travelling with children aged between five and 11 years who aren’t fully vaccinated, you will need to organise and purchase a medically observed PCR test to be taken within 72 hours prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal. You will need to present their negative test certificate at the ship's terminal.  

All unvaccinated guests aged between five and 11 years will also be required to take a complimentary antigen test (in addition to their pre-cruise PCR test) once they arrive at the terminal. 

Roy

we also got this for our voyage on 11th July from Vancouver. 

Can anyone tell me exactly what is a "medically observed antigen test"? We fly out on 10th July so in theory could get a PCR test done in the UK and take the results with us. Is it 72 hours before boarding Canada time? so could we get them done on Saturday morning in the UK (9th July) for boarding 11th July (Canada)? That would less than 72 hours.  Or wait till we get to Vancouver an do a LFT (antigen?) on landing? 

Edited by elmsliebev

32 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

They're requiring Antigen tests which can be self administered under supervision and do not require anything more than an internet connection.

Roy

is that classed as "medically observed"? We are flying in to Vancouver so the Canadian rules apply in our case. 

Just tried calling and a 1 hour wait is being stated to answer the phone! We are not sure what kind of test they are asking for is it the lateral flow test then all you get is a NHS reply email no certificate as such. Antigen tests take much longer? We are UK 

6 minutes ago, cook68 said:

Just tried calling and a 1 hour wait is being stated to answer the phone! We are not sure what kind of test they are asking for is it the lateral flow test then all you get is a NHS reply email no certificate as such. Antigen tests take much longer? We are UK 

Lateral flow and antigen tests are the same, results within the hour - presumably like have been used at Southampton. PCR tests are different of course. The key thing is the "medically observed" bit - the home kits I use for testing before work can't be used. Of course, things may change again by the time we go! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cook68 said:

LFT is an antigen test which takes c. 25 mins to show a result

PCR takes longer as it lab. analysed.

• Like 1

First, sorry I hadn't noticed that @3rdGenCunarder had started a new thread with current information before posting my information,   Medically observed antigen test is basically a home test but it is packaged with a telemed session where a qualified person starts a video call with you and observes you going through the entire process.  At least in the US the test is usually sold as a package and not a home test plus a separate telemed session.  Unfortunately, the one I normally use is only sold in the US.

Roy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

Lateral flow and antigen tests are the same, results within the hour - presumably like have been used at Southampton. PCR tests are different of course. The key thing is the "medically observed" bit - the home kits I use for testing before work can't be used. Of course, things may change again by the time we go! 

Thank you it is a bit confusing. I don't see it stated anywhere your test needs to be medically observed? I'm UK are you saying Canadian rules differ from Cunard?
Edit to add I should read properly yes Canada are asking for something else. 
So to be clear, us in UK can use the normal lateral flow tests the day before. I shall assume certificate will be me just showing the NHS email showing results with my personal info. 

Edited by cook68
adding info

27 minutes ago, cook68 said:

Thank you it is a bit confusing. I don't see it stated anywhere your test needs to be medically observed? I'm UK are you saying Canadian rules differ from Cunard?
Edit to add I should read properly yes Canada are asking for something else. 
So to be clear, us in UK can use the normal lateral flow tests the day before. I shall assume certificate will be me just showing the NHS email showing results with my personal info. 

No, we can't use the normal NHS LFTs for Canada (annoyingly!) - they have to be "private observed antigen test to be taken within one day, prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal."

I depart Southampton 2 May on QE - not had email at all other than Monday to say check in open.

Looks like I’ve escaped as for me I think starts 30 May - does that sound right ? 

Edited by watsonbeau