Cunard updated vaccination requirements 13th April

3rdGenCunarder

11 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I don´t see what the change is from my own sailing out of New York 5 weeks ago. I needed to be boostered and I needed to be tested negativ. Both have been checked prio check in. So I don´t see the change in their new version as of April.

The change is that prior to this update, those requirements expired as of 17 April (for QM2). They've extended the requirements for full vax (which is a good thing, in my books.) 

• Like 2

Regarding testing at the Vancouver Airport:  Per the airport website, CVM is located Pre-Security at the Main Terminal - Departures Level 3 [at the end of the USA check-in area].  Hours are 05:00-20:30.

Good news - while checking CVM's website, I discovered that they will be opening a site at the Vancouver Convention Centre [at Canada Place].  Close to the cruise terminal.  Hours are to be 09:00-17:00 every day.  Price not yet posted. For more info re booking tests, I would e-mail CVM.  I've found them to be responsive.

Have no idea re clearing customs on a Sunday.  There is a Canadian Cruisers thread on CruiseCritic. I'm sure someone on that thread will know the answer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ukulele girl said:

In another post someone mentioned using Walgreens Vancouver for rapid testing (no idea what this is, chemist?, shop?).

You may have discovered this already....

Walgreens are a chain of chemists/pharmacies.

It's owned by same holding company as Boots UK.

We are booked on the 15 December 2020 westbound TA. After booking we made an impromptu decision to add the 5-day 10 December 2020 Dutch Christmas Markets. My reading of the policy is that if we stay on board during the turnaround day in Southampton, we are not required to have a test to continue on the TA (policy mentions test results are required to enter the terminal). However, if we get off and walk about Southampton, we will need to show a test result to re-board. 

I understand that this is eight months away (roughly) and the policy will likely change at least twice in the interim. Just found this to be curious. 

Interesting question, @ExArkie. The policy talks about needing to have a test taken "prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal." Since you will be an in-transit passenger rather than an embarking passenger (not having to check in at the terminal for your onward voyage), I would think all you should need to show to get back on the ship is your keycard for your onward journey. But of course what I "think" the procedure ought to be might not square with reality.

I spoke to a Cunard rep. this morning, and he said that for a b2b Cunard will provide any testing that is needed for the ports.  We are going on a 21 day NYC-Southampton-Norway-Southampton-NYC in May.  We  need to have our initial tests done to board in NYC, but any other tests needed on this itinerary will be Cunard's responsibility.   I hope that's true.

Edited by FritzG
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FritzG said:

I spoke to a Cunard rep. this morning, and he said that for a b2b Cunard will provide any testing that is needed for the ports.  We are going on a 21 day NYC-Southampton-Norway-Southampton-NYC in May.  We  need to have our initial tests done to board in NYC, but any other tests needed on this itinerary will be Cunard's responsibility.   I hope that's true.

We are also sailing B2B on the QE from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver including Alaska. Yes, Cunard also told me that they have testing capabilities.  However, it was unclear as to who is paying for these tests.  A US-based customer rep implied that the passenger would be responsible with a test costing USD25-USD30.

1 hour ago, Desert Cruisers said:

We are also sailing B2B on the QE from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver including Alaska. Yes, Cunard also told me that they have testing capabilities.  However, it was unclear as to who is paying for these tests.  A US-based customer rep implied that the passenger would be responsible with a test costing USD25-USD30.

Yes,I was told that the test would be charged to our account. However, he did say that the test would be given at cost; no profit to Cunard. . 

Here is the BC CDC list of testing facilities in Vancouver and surrounding areas

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/testing/where-to-get-a-covid-19-test-in-bc#private

Rapid antigen seems to be between C$60 - C$90+, PCR C$150 -C$200.  I will be doing my 1st antigen test next weekend prior to my return to the cruising community... fingers crossed!
Another option for testing while travelling is an online proctored test - I know people who have used these and they say they work out well.

I have read that a testing for travellers centre is opening at Canada Place (near where the usual check-in area is) but do not believe it is open yet - still very early in our season, and I think requirements and processes are still being worked out.

I would point out we do not have the Walgreens chain here in Vancouver ... the equivalent is London Drugs stores - they are included on the CDC list, but only certain branches.  ( And, yes, same sort of thing as UK Boots ... I’m an ex-Brit!!)