P&O LATERAL FLOW -BEFORE YOU GO

kalos

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I can see this becoming a major issue when cruise lines stop issuing fcc's, especially when people have so called covid insurance that doesn't cover the preceding 14 days of the cruise. Lots are booking knowing that they have the security of fcc albeit we knew it wouldn't last forever. 

Hopefully most of the insurance policies are now updated since April to cover the 14 days or whatever period is set.  Celebrity have always for instance said 10 days. Declaring pre April covid as a medical condition is for an individual.  The problem is these insurance policies are updating and changing all the time and those with annual or multi policies often forget to check for the insurers latest terms and updates.  With covid we are being conditioned that it's now minor but we still have to remember its a get out for an insurer like any other thing we get checked out medically or take medication for - mild chest infections we discuss over the telephone with nurses at the surgery are one of the most common causes for rejection of major travel claims according to Which research.

The real problem is the multinational cruise lines who are blindly following US requirements and as we know these cruises are booked under totally different terms and conditions.  Assumedly P&O, Fred, Marella and Saga having very British markets will have to adapt to the UK lack of testing, reporting medical procedures outlined by the government and NHS.  

Of course we don't actually know FCC and movement of cruises free of charge will cease either and surely the cruise lines will be very careful to not just end things without advance notice of their winding down.  However the realist must see this will be a natural next step, I would have thought.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

Just spoke to our insurers Staysure about declaring covid on our annual policy this is their response

"you only need to add covid in if you have long covid, you had any over night stays in hospital due to it, were prescribe medicine due to it, have/had a medical condition due to it"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

If testing is required but FCC full amount not offered anymore if boarding denied then that would be the end for me - and perhaps a lot of us.

I think p&o will probably still offer this or perhaps a slightly reduced FCC until all testing is stopped.

It would be madness to book and pay for a holiday that you may not be allowed to go on due to a test and then have to go to insurance.

🤞

If P&O continue to deny you boarding if you fail their health protocols, then surely they need to compensate you in some way?

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If P&O continue to deny you boarding if you fail their health protocols, then surely they need to compensate you in some way?

I don’t think they are obliged to - but I still think p&o will be  good enough to help if their policy changes.

just looked again at ambassador cruise - if you test positive on the home test you can arrange yourself a pcr test to double check -  however if you cannot board due to being positive you get nothing from them - you have to claim on your insurance. Same goes if you are offloaded.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

They probably should legally I bet there is a t&c that says they dont have to. Interesting times ahead me thinks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

They probably should legally I bet there is a t&c that says they dont have to. Interesting times ahead me thinks.

I’d be very surprised if p&o left customers in the lurch on this one. 
I think they have been very good so far.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

I’d be very surprised if p&o left customers in the lurch on this one. 
I think they have been very good so far.

To be fair I agree that they have for most things covid. Lets hope they continue in the coming months as things are changing. They need to give us confidence to continue booking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Billish said:

As a matter of interest, assuming you did not require medical treatment,  how would an insurance company know if you had had covid or not  ? 

They could see it on your medical records if you posted the results on the Gov web site, which we had to do as we needed the text/email to state we were negative to visit MiL in a home. This prompted me to contact Staysure to check whether I needed to inform them we had covid. This is their reply

Hi Phil As with any medical condition, if you sought medical assistance or suffered complications customer services would need to be notified. We only had mild symptoms and no long covid so don't need to inform them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

I don’t think they are obliged to - but I still think p&o will be  good enough to help if their policy changes.

just looked again at ambassador cruise - if you test positive on the home test you can arrange yourself a pcr test to double check -  however if you cannot board due to being positive you get nothing from them - you have to claim on your insurance. Same goes if you are offloaded.

Do the insurance companies then claim the money back you have paid to the cruise company?

1 hour ago, Neil_c said:

Just spoke to our insurers Staysure about declaring covid on our annual policy this is their response

"you only need to add covid in if you have long covid, you had any over night stays in hospital due to it, were prescribe medicine due to it, have/had a medical condition due to it"

Yes, I'm aware of that.  It's some of the others, M&S, LV etc which have the requirement. Always best to check, just to be safe.

Wouldn't want anyone looking at tens of thousands to pay like my family just for overlooking a test or something so simple.

18 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Do the insurance companies then claim the money back you have paid to the cruise company?

Don’t know - they should do ! It Ain’t right.

Edited by paulatsea

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

To be fair I agree that they have for most things covid. Lets hope they continue in the coming months as things are changing. They need to give us confidence to continue booking.

They needed a nudge on quarantine for contacts though.  Apart from that they've been very good.

24 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

No. Their underwriters pay the bill. It becomes the insurers responsibility or rather their claims people. Ambassador walks Scot free. You and the insurance company have a discussion. If you've done everything right, dotted every I and crossed every t you get your money back minus your excess. If you have a policy with an excess you lose that.  That's why I'm warning everyone check, check and check again and declare even if you've sneezed in the five, four or three years before you bought your policy.  Best advice, get access to you medical records online and check verbatim any tests, telephone calls or notes in there and declare even if nothing was diagnosed. Then it's the underwriting teams problem, not yours.

• Thanks 1

An example. This is from Zurich one of the leading UK providers:

I have had COVID -19.  Am I able to quote for travel insurance?

Yes. You should treat COVID-19 just as any other pre-existing medical condition when you quote and buy your travel insurance. Please enter Coronavirus or COVID-19 when prompted for pre-existing medical conditions and complete your quote in the usual way.

Edited by Megabear2

33 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

An example. This is from Zurich one of the leading UK providers:

I have had COVID -19.  Am I able to quote for travel insurance?

Yes. You should treat COVID-19 just as any other pre-existing medical condition when you quote and buy your travel insurance. Please enter Coronavirus or COVID-19 when prompted for pre-existing medical conditions and complete your quote in the usual way.

Does pre-existing not mean you HAVE a health condition before taking at the policy, rather than HAD. I had measles and chicken pox as a kid, but I haven't declared it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

I am a solo traveller. Disappointed, to say the least, that my Arcadia cruise in two weeks time which I paid £4500 for with obc of 230 is now on offer for £2745 with 405 obc! That is a massive discount.  Just the chance you take no matter what time you book I guess. 

'Fortunately' my cruise is not listed as one of these solo deals.

1 hour ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Does pre-existing not mean you HAVE a health condition before taking at the policy, rather than HAD. I had measles and chicken pox as a kid, but I haven't declared it.

So if you have Covid, you tested at home and were positive and isolated for 5 days.  Nobody knows you have had it.  How does that work?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

So if you have Covid, you tested at home and were positive and isolated for 5 days.  Nobody knows you have had it.  How does that work?

Exactly. So if those of us who reported it to a doctor have to declare it, then surely that is discriminatory, as thousands will have had it without even knowing in some cases. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Exactly. So if those of us who reported it to a doctor have to declare it, then surely that is discriminatory, as thousands will have had it without even knowing in some cases. 

Covid isn't really a condition, it is an infection that normally clears up and does not leave you with any disabilities. What the insurers are interested in are any chronic illnesses or injuries that require ongoing medication or could cause you to need treatment at some point in the future.

Whether you had german measles or mumps as a child is not going to suddenly require treatment whilst you are on holiday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

I assume you are playing devils advocate?  A pre existing condition is defined by the company you are choosing to buy your policy from. Some conditions related to breathing, cancer, blood pressure, heart disease etc as defined have to be declared if you have ever had them.  Asthma, diabetes etc are included in these must always be declared conditions.

Your insurer will then ask for conditions treated, diagnosed or discussed in a medical environment in any number of years as selected by their underwriter. This can be as little asc2 years and as much as six again depending on your choice of insurer.

I'm not going to argue the detail of declarations, that's for you to individually decide.  Regarding covid not all insurers want it declared, others do. If for instance you complete a Staysure quote it does not accept covid as a condition as they are treating it like a cold. However Zurich for instance, as I set out do require you to declare it and they are not alone.

Everyone has an individual opinion on what they wish/think to declare. It's for you all alone to decide but the option is there. Personally I'd rather take an extra 10 minutes to read my doctor's notes and jot down dates and tests to declare them. For instance I'm pre diabetic and have blood tests every three months. I'm not I'll, don't have diabetes but am monitored. If you declare pre diabetes it is on the list, one question to answer do you have diabetes, no.  Then the issue is fully covered no questions asked. As I say my choice, my time.

Regarding 

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Covid isn't really a condition, it is an infection that normally clears up and does not leave you with any disabilities. What the insurers are interested in are any chronic illnesses or injuries that require ongoing medication or could cause you to need treatment at some point in the future.

I'm afraid the insurers are not just interested in chronic illnesses or injuries. They want chapter and verse on any illness no matter how minor you have consulted a doctor or medical establishment on in a set number of years they define. This includes minor conditions which have been cleared up and will not return. Basically if you've talked about it to someone at the surgery or been prescribed medication for it, that's a pre existing condition. Silly things like ear infections if you are prescribed ear drops or antibiotics are declarable. Try thinking of a something like that and fo a mock quote. These conditions are there. You don't get charged for declaration of them as the premium won't alter but they are declarable, hence some companies wanting covid declared.

Edited by Megabear2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

You will note I said pre April covid needs declaring on some policies. That's because it's in your medical records, now it's not although if you know you've had it and tested if there's a question on your insurance application why not declare it and just answer the questions? Surely better safe than sorry down the line.

12 hours ago, ShelaghL said:

Copied just now from the P&O website:

We’re unable to accept guests who, within 10 days prior to the cruise, have been unwell with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 or have been in close contact with someone with confirmed or suspected COVID-19.

I believe that has changed from 14 days.

With Megabear's Aunt's situation in mind and a lady from Consett with similar issues, I wrote to Staysure.

Good evening,

can you please tell me what we need to declare re our health insurance. 

Does every visit to a doctor or blood test taken need to be declared? 
The NHS offer various routine scans or tests at certain ages. If taking part in one do they need to be declared. For example but not limited to mammograms; bowel cancer test, aortic aneurism scans?
If you are told a test or scan is normal no action does this need to be reported? 
Do you have to report if you have had and recovered from COVID?
Any vaccinations that you are given?
Does visits to the dentist or optician need to be reported?
Is there any other situation where you would need to be informed?

I would appreciate a response to each question.

Their reply

Thankyou for your email

If you’ve ever had either of the following, you’ll always need to declare it on your travel insurance:
  • A cardiovascular condition – including high blood pressure or cholesterol
  • Any heart condition
You’ll also need to let us know about a medical condition if you’ve had any of the following in the past two years, relating to your medical condition:
  • Symptoms
  • Treatment/ medication
  • Investigation
  • Medical appointments
  • Follow-ups
  • Check-ups
  • Surgery

Any routine scans/tests would not need to be declared however we would need to discuss any tests results you have recieved. Please do let us know if that is the case.

Whilst we would not screen Covid19 as a medical condition onto the policy, other medical conditions which have been diagnosed subsequently to contracting COVID-19 would still need to be screened.
Please note that we do not cover anything related to previous COVID-19, Long COVID or ongoing symptoms of either condition, however cover may still apply through the normal claims process as per the COVID-19 section in the policy wording for newly contracted cases of COVID-19.

I then wrote back

thank you for your reply. Can I clarify something please. if you have been informed of a condition and it has been accepted, are you saying that every appointment/telephone appointment and prescription for these accepted conditions has to be reported.

On the intial declaration, you would need to screen the medical condition where you have had any of the above in the last 2 years, The medical screening questions will then determine the current medical circumstances for each condition.
If the those medical circumstances were to change, the medical declaration would need to be updated accordingly.

6 hours ago, emam said:

With Megabear's Aunt's situation in mind and a lady from Consett with similar issues, I wrote to Staysure.

Good evening,

can you please tell me what we need to declare re our health insurance. 

Does every visit to a doctor or blood test taken need to be declared? 
The NHS offer various routine scans or tests at certain ages. If taking part in one do they need to be declared. For example but not limited to mammograms; bowel cancer test, aortic aneurism scans?
If you are told a test or scan is normal no action does this need to be reported? 
Do you have to report if you have had and recovered from COVID?
Any vaccinations that you are given?
Does visits to the dentist or optician need to be reported?
Is there any other situation where you would need to be informed?

I would appreciate a response to each question.

Their reply

Thankyou for your email

If you’ve ever had either of the following, you’ll always need to declare it on your travel insurance:
  • A cardiovascular condition – including high blood pressure or cholesterol
  • Any heart condition
You’ll also need to let us know about a medical condition if you’ve had any of the following in the past two years, relating to your medical condition:
  • Symptoms
  • Treatment/ medication
  • Investigation
  • Medical appointments
  • Follow-ups
  • Check-ups
  • Surgery

Any routine scans/tests would not need to be declared however we would need to discuss any tests results you have recieved. Please do let us know if that is the case.

Whilst we would not screen Covid19 as a medical condition onto the policy, other medical conditions which have been diagnosed subsequently to contracting COVID-19 would still need to be screened.
Please note that we do not cover anything related to previous COVID-19, Long COVID or ongoing symptoms of either condition, however cover may still apply through the normal claims process as per the COVID-19 section in the policy wording for newly contracted cases of COVID-19.

I then wrote back

thank you for your reply. Can I clarify something please. if you have been informed of a condition and it has been accepted, are you saying that every appointment/telephone appointment and prescription for these accepted conditions has to be reported.

On the intial declaration, you would need to screen the medical condition where you have had any of the above in the last 2 years, The medical screening questions will then determine the current medical circumstances for each condition.
If the those medical circumstances were to change, the medical declaration would need to be updated accordingly.

A very sensible action by yourself.  The last two paragraphs are very important as often doctors change, add or amend your medicine and a lot of companies such as Staysure require you to notify them of this.  It is this sort of thing insurers use to say conditions are not declared correctly.

To anyone reading this please note all insurers have different rules so best to check if in doubt as Emam has done.