For those who wondered about what fully vaccinated means…

Got an email from Carnival about my upcoming cruise. It defined what fully vaccinated means to them. From the email (the holding is mine):

VACCINATION/BOOSTER REQUIREMENTS

As a reminder, you will be sailing on a vaccinated voyage which requires you to be up to date on your vaccines.  This is defined as having your final dose of an initial COVID-19 vaccine series at least 14 days before your sailing date (not including embarkation day).

Additionally, all guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated and are more than 6 months past the date of the last dose of their initial vaccine series, will need to show proof of having received a booster in order to sail.  This means getting an mRNA booster dose (Pfizer or Moderna) no later than 6 months from the last dose in your primary series

A booster dose is considered:

• a third mRNA dose in an mRNA series or a mixed vaccine series or;
  • a J&J booster, or an mRNA booster dose if your primary series was a J&J vaccine. 

If you are eligible, this notice gives you ample time to get boosted.  You will be considered boosted the day you receive the vaccine with no waiting period required. 

Proof of vaccination and booster (if eligible) will be required at check-in.
 Guests who do not meet all requirements will be denied boarding and no refund will be provided.

It appears you are doing the Panama Canal sailing which has different requirements than shorter sailings. 

Some of the longer cruises require the booster when the 8 day and shorter don’t. 

Edited by 1kaper

And what’s the nonsense about the booster needed within 6 months of the initial series! There were many (health care workers for example) who received their second dose more than 6 months before a booster was even approved.

By their reckoning you could have gotten a booster a year before your cruise and be good to go (as long as it was within 6 months of the initial). But if you completed the initial series eight months before the cruise and just got the booster a month ago (7 months after completing the initial) you are not in compliance. 

12 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Fully vaccinated (including booster) also affects when you can take your Covid test - 2 days prior without a booster (for most), 3 days prior with a booster (if eligible). 

It does. But some sailings require you to have it. Not all. 

What's the nonsense about having to have had your booster within 6 months of your last primary vaccine shot? I got my last primary vaccine shot in early May 2021 and got the booster in later November 2021. that's more than six months. Does that mean I would be denied boarding if I were going on this cruise?

12 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Yes. I would expect all will require it by the end of the year or sooner.

Only if the CDC changes their definition and even then, I’m not sure Carnival would pull the trigger. That would be a huge deal to a lot of people. Maybe there would be enough cruisers willing to chase boosters, but a lot fewer than have had the vaccine, IMO.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

What's the nonsense about having to have had your booster within 6 months of your last primary vaccine shot? I got my last primary vaccine shot in early May 2021 and got the booster in later November 2021. that's more than six months. Does that mean I would be denied boarding if I were going on this cruise?

The wording of that letter is strange. If that’s true, they are morons. It can’t be true.

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

And what’s the nonsense about the booster needed within 6 months of the initial series! There were many (health care workers for example) who received their second dose more than 6 months before a booster was even approved.

By their reckoning you could have gotten a booster a year before your cruise and be good to go (as long as it was within 6 months of the initial). But if you completed the initial series eight months before the cruise and just got the booster a month ago (7 months after completing the initial) you are not in compliance. 

Haven't you learned that you don't make the rules, you just play the game.

4 hours ago, FruitStandaficionado said:

Got an email from Carnival about my upcoming cruise. It defined what fully vaccinated means to them. From the email (the holding is mine):

VACCINATION/BOOSTER REQUIREMENTS

As a reminder, you will be sailing on a vaccinated voyage which requires you to be up to date on your vaccines.  This is defined as having your final dose of an initial COVID-19 vaccine series at least 14 days before your sailing date (not including embarkation day).

Additionally, all guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated and are more than 6 months past the date of the last dose of their initial vaccine series, will need to show proof of having received a booster in order to sail.  This means getting an mRNA booster dose (Pfizer or Moderna) no later than 6 months from the last dose in your primary series

A booster dose is considered:

• a third mRNA dose in an mRNA series or a mixed vaccine series or;
  • a J&J booster, or an mRNA booster dose if your primary series was a J&J vaccine. 

If you are eligible, this notice gives you ample time to get boosted.  You will be considered boosted the day you receive the vaccine with no waiting period required. 

Proof of vaccination and booster (if eligible) will be required at check-in.
 Guests who do not meet all requirements will be denied boarding and no refund will be provided.

Your thread title is misleading and incorrect.  Fully vaccinated and up-to-date are two different things, and no nowhere in the excerpt you posted does Carnival define fully vaccinated as having had a booster.

To those who asked, this is for the 16 day Panama Canal Cruise. According to the responses here, it seems the rules may vary by which cruise you are taking, which I find very strange. At any rate, it appears that the email is telling me that if I’m eligible for a booster, I must get it. Considering the fact that I’ve now had the two original series of shots plus 2 booster shots, I’m good to go. As mentioned in these responses, I don’t make the rules, I just play the game! Lol. I’m very pro vaccinations. Made sure my kid got everything available and have had everything available for myself as well.😇

• Like 4