Insurance Question

chicopaige

On 4/15/2022 at 9:34 AM, Babr said:

It is not automatic. You’ll have to cancel with insurance first. It will be denied because you are not cancelling for a covered reason. Then you’ll have to contact Princess for the FCC under Cancel for Any Reason. That part is provided by Princess and is not insurance.

Cancel for any reason goes thru AON . I've used it a couple of times . in both cases submitted the documentation to AON. Cancel for Any reason is provided thru insurance bought thru Princess.

4 minutes ago, Kamloops50 said:

Cancel for any reason goes thru AON . I've used it a couple of times . in both cases submitted the documentation to AON. Cancel for Any reason is provided thru insurance bought thru Princess.

I thought that is what I said. To cancel through insurance first means to file a claim with AON who administers the Princess plan. Once that claim is denied because it is not a covered reason, then it reverts to FCC which is actually not part of the insurance but a service provided by Princess as an incentive to buy the policy. That is why it is in the form of a credit instead of cash reimbursement.

It costs Princess little except some administrative fees to offer the credit. They get to keep your money until you use the FCC. In the meantime, they are getting a profit from selling Princess-branded insurance which is really underwritten by Nationwide and administered by AON.

I think I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  Received a phone call while I was away from my desks (notes).  Agent was delightful and sent an email with numbers to "explain".  I won't go into financial details but this is the response I am sending back to her.

Hello DH,

Thank you for understanding my situation this morning.  I was out and about with my grandson (date day).  It was a full day with lunch, beach, and shopping.  We had a good day, but I am exhausted.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to lay out the numbers for me.  I am trying to work with my (older) sisters who do not understand how Princess works.  I am also trying to erase the negative feelings toward Princess (for taking so long in getting the refunds back).  I really do want them to try another cruise with me under more favorable conditions.

Again, you helping assist me through this process is the best thing that happened with the claim.  I do hope you will share this positive review with your supervisor.  I also hope this finds its way back to you.  

I am a loyal Princess cruiser and am wishing Princess a speedy recovery to getting all ships back on line and crew to staff each ship.

Mahalo Nui Loa,
R....

On Jun 7, 2022, at 10:48 AM, Department, Customer Relations (PCL) <customerrelations@princesscruises.com> wrote:

Dear Ms. X

Thank you for your correspondence addressed to Jan Swartz.  Your letter has been forwarded to the Customer Solutions Department, and we appreciate the opportunity to respond to your question at this time.

Per our conversation, please find below the breakdown of payments and refunds for your sisters
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Babr said:

I thought that is what I said. To cancel through insurance first means to file a claim with AON who administers the Princess plan. Once that claim is denied because it is not a covered reason, then it reverts to FCC which is actually not part of the insurance but a service provided by Princess as an incentive to buy the policy. That is why it is in the form of a credit instead of cash reimbursement.

It costs Princess little except some administrative fees to offer the credit. They get to keep your money until you use the FCC. In the meantime, they are getting a profit from selling Princess-branded insurance which is really underwritten by Nationwide and administered by AON.

I went directly to Cancel for Any Reason. Had my credits in 30 days. I didn’t bother submitting a claim. 

• Like 1

I have a general question about travel insurance and apologize in advance if i should be posting this question in a different topic.

I typically have been purchasing my insurance through Princess but was wondering if "outside" companies would provide better coverage and rates. If yes, any recommendations on which company to use.

Another reason for my purchasing the insurance through Princess was that i thought it would be less of a hassle if I would ever had to use that insurance and file a claim.  My upcoming cruises will all be international (Europe, Japan, South America) and so I am paying more attention to this especially with COVID.  Would like to know what has been everyone's experience who has been unfortunate enough to have to actually use their travel insurance.  Thanks.

The thread topic is Insurance Question (s).  Welcome to Cruise Critic.  and yes, your questions fits right in with this thread (I hijacked it for my concerns).  

First and foremost, I am a believer in buying insurance for any large investment in travel.  What you buy depends on several factors.

I purchase Princess Vacation Protection because it is convenient.  I do not get charged more for my age.  My cost is for the basic but because I am an Elite Captain Circle member, I am upgraded to Premium.  

If I purchase EZ Air, my PVP will include my air travel.  If you do your own air arrangements, then you would need to look into another company for coverage.  I do not have a recommendation.  Many may chime in to assist you.

My insurance issue with Princess via AON has come to a satisfactory resolution.  I am just waiting for funds to arrive.  When that happens, I will update those that have been following me.

Glad someone else is carrying on this thread.  It is an important addition to Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

I purchase Princess Vacation Protection instead of third-party insurance for the following reasons:

• Cancel for any reason is included at no extra charge (with FCC instead of cash but I will be cruising with Princess and use the FCC).
  • Upgrade to platinum at no charge means 100% coverage.
  • Cost is not age rated. Good deal for some of us who are a little older. Maybe not such a good deal for younger people.
  • Medical coverage is adequate for me because Tricare for Life provides coverage outside the US (except for copayments and deductibles). May not be sufficient for someone who has only Medicare and/or Medicare supplement without foreign coverage.
  • Usually book EZAir, so air is covered. In any case, air refundable up to 45 days prior to flight.

If I am spending extra time before the cruise (outside US) or purchasing nonrefundable air tickets, I will often book Princess Vacation Protection and also third-party insurance. I do not include the cost of the cruise or anything else covered by Princess Vacation Protection in the amount insured by third-party insurance, since (as far as the other insurance is concerned) that cost is refundable by Princess. I have found that the combination of the two is often less expensive than purchasing only the third-party insurance and including the cruise fare - and I wouldn't have the FCC for cancel for any reason.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

May not be sufficient for someone who has only Medicare and/or Medicare supplement without foreign coverage.

I "should" know next week - 30 days from when claim was received - from my medicare advantage supplemental insurance (United Healthcare thru AARP) will pay my claim for $1,200 medical services incurred on REGAL - non-Covid related.  We will see - I've also submitted to AON and have heard nothing from them, but they may be waiting to see what UHC pays first.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, Kamloops50 said:

If you don't have insurance, and cancel....are the taxes refunded by Princess?  

16 hours ago, Hankxlee said:

I have a general question about travel insurance and apologize in advance if i should be posting this question in a different topic.

I typically have been purchasing my insurance through Princess but was wondering if "outside" companies would provide better coverage and rates. If yes, any recommendations on which company to use.

Another reason for my purchasing the insurance through Princess was that i thought it would be less of a hassle if I would ever had to use that insurance and file a claim.  My upcoming cruises will all be international (Europe, Japan, South America) and so I am paying more attention to this especially with COVID.  Would like to know what has been everyone's experience who has been unfortunate enough to have to actually use their travel insurance.  Thanks.

You have received some good information.  I would go to the cruise critic forum for travel insurance.  It is under cruise discussion topics and then cruise/travel insurance.  

Also, I would call the tripinsurancestore.com and talk with them.  They are highly recommended on here and can answer all your questions and figure out what you need.  No additional charge to you other than the insurance and that price is the same if you purchased on your own or through them.

Thank everyone who took the time to respond to my inquiry.  I greatly appreciate it and feel much more comfortable moving forward.  Per NavyVeteran's feedback, I am inclined to continue purchasing insurance thru Princess as I also get upgraded to Platinum coverage and will go thru a 3rd party company for the additional coverage for the extra pre-cruise time.  Thank you everyone.

Claim Cased Closed:  June 13, 2022

Recap: 

Final Payment early December

Cruised cancelled for 2 out of 3 passengers early March

Claim submitted online to AON on March 16.

****** Multiple emails to Princess and calls to Princess/AON (hours) *******

April 25 AON completed review and sent information over to Princess for final approval (Princess denied that this was necessary).

Princess had claim for over a month before I escalated claim by sending emails to Jan and a bunch of other people.  WOW...immediately heard from Princess.

Bottom Line:

Princess returned 2 credits to credit cards for cancellation fees

AON sent a check for remaining balance minus insurance.

Satisfied with funds received.  I will admit that this was a complicated booking because three passengers were involved, 2 cancelled, one went solo without single supplement applied.  Different amounts were paid.  

What I was dissatisfied with was the amount of time it took to process this claim, the lack of communication, and that Princess had this money for so long without returning any interest.  

• Like 1