Thinking of jumping from Solstice to Diamond Princess

craig01020

I'm currently booked on Celebrity Solstice for a Mexican Riviera cruise in October. I'm thinking of switching to Diamond Princess because I like the itinerary better, and it's from San Diego instead of L.A. We've never cruised on Princess before. We are a couple ages 59 & 63.

Talk me into (or out of) switching from Solstice to Diamond Princess.  Thanks.

• Like 1

We were on the Solstice for an Alaskan cruise in 2019. Very nice ship.  I can't speak to the Diamond since we've never been on that one.  That being said...Princess is our "go to" cruise line.  It is very similar to Celebrity in many respects but we just gravitate toward Princess.  I'm not saying we would not cruise Celebrity again...we may very well; it would be the itinerary that would sway us.

It sounds as if both the port and itinerary are pluses for you...give it a shot!  We are in our mid 60s.

13 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

Talk me into (or out of) switching from Solstice to Diamond Princess.  Thanks.

As a long time Celebrity guest, who just sailed (again) with Princess, you will be sorely disappointed if you switch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We’ve sailed on both Solstice and Diamond. I would definitely prefer Solstice.  So many reasons, but they are strictly my opinion.  We’re sailing next on Emerald Princess, but only because they embark in Southampton for British Isles cruises and Celebrity uses Amsterdam.  I’m sure others will chime in with very different opinions and you’ll get a better idea of which to choose.

I'd check out the Konigsdam also, which does weekly Mexico trips out of San Diego. There are also some other Princess ships doing 10-day trips out of LA that include Loreto and La Paz, for those like me who are sick of the Cabo/PV/Mazatlan itinerary. I believe the Solstice is only planning to be in Mexico this winter, so it might be a good opportunity to experience it, whereas Princess ships don't differ a lot and they have extensive Mexico coverage. I even love the Norwegian Bliss, which has some great spaces, including an outdoor deck with bars and restaurants, and fun things like a Beatles act, and immense forward viewing lounge under the buffet with huge front windows. 

• Like 1

We have cruised on the Diamond Princess 3 times and the Solstice once and much prefer the Solstice. Better ship (given the Diamond is much older than the Solstice), better cabins (balcony v balcony) and better service. Better room service menu too. Celebrity offer scrambled eggs on the room service breakfast menu where as there are no eggs offered on the Princess room service menu (apart from egg and bacon muffin). Not that important I know, but was nice to have a full breakfast in bed!

These opinions are all based on our experiences pre covid.  

As a previous posted highlighted.....itinerary is an important factor as well.  

• Like 1

Diamond is my co-favorite ship in the fleet because there’s more space per passenger than almost any ship afloat, and certainly any at the popular price points.  

I can’t compare a modern Celebrity experience to Princess, but I would absolutely not hesitate to book the Princess sailings due to anything about Diamond vs any other ship in the Princess fleet.