Covid testing problem in for us here in UK

ace2542

We need assistance with doing the Covid test for upcoming cruise next month fly/sail USA 1 night so test 1 day before fly 2 days before sail. The problem I have is that we CANNOT in big letters as written we CANNOT do the test on ourselves recording it on a iphone or whatever. The technical know how and wifi needed to do this is beyond us. Everything here in on a hard line cable no iphone no wifi or anything like that. The test has to be done to us at a centre like a randox or a boots or superdrug or somewhere in Liverpool that will assist us.

Opnions please. Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

We need assistance with doing the Covid test for upcoming cruise next month fly/sail USA 1 night so test 1 day before fly 2 days before sail. The problem I have is that we CANNOT in big letters as written we CANNOT do the test on ourselves recording it on a iphone or whatever. The technical know how and wifi needed to do this is beyond us. Everything here in on a hard line cable no iphone no wifi or anything like that. The test has to be done to us at a centre like a randox or a boots or superdrug or somewhere in Liverpool that will assist us.

I assume this is with a US cruise line, in which case I would ask this question of them direct, or through your TA, they will be better able to give you the correct information.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume this is with a US cruise line, in which case I would ask this question of them direct, or through your TA, they will be better able to give you the correct information.

The TA in question refuses to assist in this matter. We need to be able to have the test done to us. As in we walk in off the street and get tested and return for the results. Not make a video of ourselves doing them - which we cannot make - which is what you do when you test at home don't you?

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

The TA in question refuses to assist in this matter. We need to be able to have the test done to us. As in we walk in off the street and get tested and return for the results. Not make a video of ourselves doing them - which we cannot make - which is what you do when you test at home don't you?

In which case checkout Boots or Lloyd's Pharmacy for the nearest one to you, they apparently do observed tests in store.

• Thanks 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

In which case checkout Boots or Lloyd's Pharmacy for the nearest one to you, they apparently do observed tests in store.

Observed test. That is the phrase I was looking forward. Thanks mate. I was actually thinking Randox in Liverpool one near my work place.

23 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Randox have 2 testing centres in Liverpool where I'm sure you will be able to book a walk-in test. Antigen/LFT results are usually available within a few hours and PCR tests can also be booked with varying results reporting times depending on how much you want to pay.

https://covid.randox.com/travel-centre-locations/

16 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Observed test. That is the phrase I was looking forward. Thanks mate. I was actually thinking Randox in Liverpool one near my work place.

Remember to take your passport along. If Randox can not fit you in then Try Lloyds Pharmacy. 

Edited by LifeonMars

4 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Remember to take your passport along.

We will. We will test on the day before we fly so we will do. Providing we don't have to film ourselves doing the tests and send video off that will never work.

Edited by ace2542

We will test on the day before we fly so we will do. Providing we don't have to film ourselves doing the tests and send video off that will never work.

Lloyds Pharmacy do observed LFT tests with certificate (fit to fly observed) ,  Lloyds require booking a date and time prior to attending for test.

Edited by LifeonMars
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Lloyds Pharmacy do observed LFT tests with certificate (fit to fly observed) ,  I know NY  require observed LFT Tests which presently may be taken 2 days prior to boarding your ship. So Test Friday, fly out Saturday, Board Sunday.

We are flying on BA/American airlines.

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

My quote above is wrong should read 1 day prior to Flying

The test must be taken a maximum of 1 day before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary (if a flight is at 1 pm on a Friday, travelers could board with a COVID-19 negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday). Test results must include the traveler's full name and at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number. The test must also clearly state that the results are "negative," SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected," SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected," or "COVID-19 not detected." A test marked "invalid" is not acceptable. This requirement applies to all travelers, including US citizens, residents, and transit travelers. Travelers may use a self-testing (sometimes referred to as a home test) procedure that must include a telehealth service that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. The test must meet the requirements of the CDC. For more details, please see the source. Some US states might have more strict rules regarding COVID-19 test types and where they must be administered. Please carefully review the rules before traveling to each state.

see

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/entry-requirements

Edited by LifeonMars

5 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Travelers may use a self-testing (sometimes referred to as a home test) procedure that must include a telehealth service that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection

That is not possible for us to do. So we have to have it done to us so to speak by another person which should not be a problem.

Edited by ace2542

That is not possible for us to do. So we have to have it done to us so to speak by another person which should not be a problem.

You  should be fine with an observed test done at the selected venue by an employee  with a certificate issued. 

Edited by LifeonMars
  • Thanks 1

I answered a similar question about Covid testing at Lloyd's on another thread.

The answer repeated below was specific to Southampton, you need to check whether the same applies at a convenient branch near your home, but it's a simple one-visit test carried out in-store.

You book an appointment on line, then at the appointment you pay (£29.99), they do a lateral-flow antigen test, you get the results and a fit-to-fly certificate

"For whatever reason, I overlooked Lloyds - they are probably the second-biggest pharmacy chain after Boots.

https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/covid-test-for-travel

They have several branches in Southampton, their most convenient one is at 76 St Mary's Street, a 10 - 15 minute walk from The Bargate which is the very centre of the city. (You won't see it on Google streetview - it's in a market square behind the Kingsland Tavern)

Their website says they carry out in-person lateral-flow Antigen tests, with a fit-to-fly certificate at a cost of £30, you pay for it and get results & certification all in one pre-booked visit.

I phoned the St Mary's Road branch, they confirmed that they carry out those tests at that branch in-store.

The sort of simplicity that a visitor needs.🙂

They are not booking tests for saturdays or sundays, because they do not have a pharmacist on duty.

And they advise not to book fridays if possible, because they don't have their regular pharmacist on duty.

I read elsewhere on Cruise Critic that a lateral flow antigen test is sufficient for entry into the US, but that's something you need to check.

Some countries require a PCR test - that branch of Lloyd's does PCR tests, cost £79, but results take two days."

JB 🙂

On 4/19/2022 at 3:05 PM, ace2542 said:

This isn’t exactly what you asked for, but this is how we managed our testing without doing them online.

We have just returned from flying to USA, and taking a Princess Cruise to the Caribbean. Our travel agency was most helpful.

We booked a LFT with the local Express Test in Cardiff. Cost £100 for two. Very gentle person did tests and results were emailed to us within 30 minutes. (Tuesday) Drove to London and stayed overnight. Hotel printed out paper copies of negative results for us. Flew to Fort Lauderdale (Weds). Went to a walk in centre..(Thurs)Lab Doctor on 17th St Causeway and took another LFT test ($100). Paper copy of negative result given to us within 15 mins . Boarded ship Saturday. No tests needed for return to UK

On 4/19/2022 at 10:48 AM, ace2542 said:

We just got home from Europe but not the UK. We returned from Amsterdam and had the same concerns as you mentioned. We also needed to be tested for my return to the USA. We were also concerned about finding testing sites before our departure and I found some in Amsterdam for our use. Antigen tests are fine. However, they have to be done less than 24 hrs before departure.

I did some research for you and the UK and read your posts and think the following information may help you. 

First, here is a link for requirements to the USA for Covid tests. Basically the Antigen is the best option but only with a 24 hr option. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsbirmingham/usa-travel-rules-what-covid-test-do-i-need-to-travel-to-the-usa/ar-AAWnjNN?ocid=uxbndlbing

Second, if I were in the UK I would schedule my test appointment in advance (you usually have to prepay for the test too). I looked up this site for testing and here are some that may help. If you can do the test before you flight, I would choose one to the sites at Heathrow.  https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/?msclkid=f204c7d434d41fb36a4ba5b450c8744c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Outbound Other - UK - Generic - Exact&utm_term=covid test heathrow&utm_content=UK - Generic | Heathrow

I also clicked on the first link for the 35 Euro test (the one I think you want) and here were the results for the pulldown menu with the sites available. If you scroll down you will see some at Heathrow. However, other sites are listed and they may be good too. There are also directions for each site, so be sure you can find the site and it is convenient before you book.

If you cannot get a document in person, then you should get an email or text to your phone with the results. Within either the email or test you should either get a formal document with a QR code, or a link to get this for use at the airport. If you can print this that would be best, if not, most airlines accept the cell phone document with the QR, but please check with your airline first. 

You will also need to have proof of Covid vaccination. I assume you already have that.

I hope this helps.

On 4/19/2022 at 3:54 PM, LifeonMars said:

My quote above is wrong should read 1 day prior to Flying

The test must be taken a maximum of 1 day before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary (if a flight is at 1 pm on a Friday, travelers could board with a COVID-19 negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday). Test results must include the traveler's full name and at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number. The test must also clearly state that the results are "negative," SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected," SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected," or "COVID-19 not detected." A test marked "invalid" is not acceptable. This requirement applies to all travelers, including US citizens, residents, and transit travelers. Travelers may use a self-testing (sometimes referred to as a home test) procedure that must include a telehealth service that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. The test must meet the requirements of the CDC. For more details, please see the source. Some US states might have more strict rules regarding COVID-19 test types and where they must be administered. Please carefully review the rules before traveling to each state.

see

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/entry-requirements

The other website link posted below says THREE to FIVE days prior? Which is correct?

On 4/20/2022 at 9:10 PM, bobs1016 said:

We just got home from Europe but not the UK. We returned from Amsterdam and had the same concerns as you mentioned. We also needed to be tested for my return to the USA. We were also concerned about finding testing sites before our departure and I found some in Amsterdam for our use. Antigen tests are fine. However, they have to be done less than 24 hrs before departure.

I did some research for you and the UK and read your posts and think the following information may help you. 

First, here is a link for requirements to the USA for Covid tests. Basically the Antigen is the best option but only with a 24 hr option. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsbirmingham/usa-travel-rules-what-covid-test-do-i-need-to-travel-to-the-usa/ar-AAWnjNN?ocid=uxbndlbing

Second, if I were in the UK I would schedule my test appointment in advance (you usually have to prepay for the test too). I looked up this site for testing and here are some that may help. If you can do the test before you flight, I would choose one to the sites at Heathrow.  https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/?msclkid=f204c7d434d41fb36a4ba5b450c8744c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Outbound Other - UK - Generic - Exact&utm_term=covid test heathrow&utm_content=UK - Generic | Heathrow

I also clicked on the first link for the 35 Euro test (the one I think you want) and here were the results for the pulldown menu with the sites available. If you scroll down you will see some at Heathrow. However, other sites are listed and they may be good too. There are also directions for each site, so be sure you can find the site and it is convenient before you book.

If you cannot get a document in person, then you should get an email or text to your phone with the results. Within either the email or test you should either get a formal document with a QR code, or a link to get this for use at the airport. If you can print this that would be best, if not, most airlines accept the cell phone document with the QR, but please check with your airline first. 

You will also need to have proof of Covid vaccination. I assume you already have that.

I hope this helps.

I thought test had to be ONE DAY prior to FLYING to America so THURSDAY may 19th to fly FRIDAY may 20th?

56 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I thought test had to be ONE DAY prior to FLYING to America so THURSDAY may 19th to fly FRIDAY may 20th?

Presently it is. for flying to NY 

With Cunard, when boarding at Brooklyn, allowing that test which was say taken on the Thursday to be acceptable  for boarding the ship  on the Saturday.

Edited by LifeonMars

29 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Presently it is. for flying to NY 

With Cunard, when boarding at Brooklyn, allowing that test which was say taken on the Thursday to be acceptable  for boarding the ship  on the Saturday.

We are flying to SEATTLE and boarding NCL Bliss

On 4/19/2022 at 3:05 PM, ace2542 said:

Try 

https://www.dam-health.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpImTBhCmARIsAKr58cyhfJ25VSZdmqswMLaAbJT3l8CGfr2VnL2aC0TD1Wi5eOhVHyxe1SMaArOxEALw_wcB

They have 2 clinics in Liverpool

Edited by acmar