Newbie to QG

SwankPooch

I am a fan of Seabourn and would like to try out QG for the first time as an alternate line. Other than what is stated specifically in the catalog, I am oblivious to Cunard . Any thoughts, suggestions……etc will be immensely appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm sure many members will be able to help you with regards to QG and along with others, we love the product [hundreds of  nights under our personal belts] but I have nothing to compare it with  as it suits us so much, we can't be bothered trying any other line.

Maybe if you think of some questions, answers and comments might be more specific. 🙂

Edited by Victoria2
  • Thanks 1

One thing to realize - instead of being on a smaller ship which is luxury class throughout, in QG, you will have luxury dining and a beautiful stateroom on a premium line. Personally, we find the Cunard experience, especially the QM2 on a crossing, one-of-a-kind and wonderful, however, others coming from luxury lines find that some aspects of the total experience is different from their expectations and past experiences. 

• Thanks 1

I consume chicken, fish, pork and duck only without dairy ingredients.  How far ahead do I have to pre-order for a particular meal if the choices are not within my dietary restrictions?  Do you have any special dishes that you would recommend?  

How far ahead will I be able to reserve excursions online?

Thanks and any pertinent information will be immensely appreciated.

5 hours ago, SwankPooch said:

I consume chicken, fish, pork and duck only without dairy ingredients.  How far ahead do I have to pre-order for a particular meal if the choices are not within my dietary restrictions?  Do you have any special dishes that you would recommend?  

5 hours ago, SwankPooch said:

If you have a dish in mind for dinner, the night before is a good time to order but more often than not, if you order at breakfast, that's sufficient notice for an off menu dinner request. For a simple lunch, say a personal salad request with cold meats, breakfast is also a good time to order.

For a more exotic lunch I'd also order the night before.

If you want something such as caviar in the evening, order at lunch time although I have often smiled sweetly and ordered it at dinner time.

Your Head Waiter will be your guide so just ask for advice on ordering.

Examples of off menu requests vary from table side finished pasta dishes to a full blown Indian, Chinese or Italian meal. Just ask ad if  the ingredients are on the ship, the meal will be provided.

Excursions seem to have a mind of their own as to when they appear on your personalizer. Keep looking.

We rarely book pre embarkation as we get the concierge to book a car and a driver/guide for a half or full day if there's something we really want to do, but, if an excursion says limited capacity and it's a must for you, book it as soon as it appears because limited tours eg tours with an air component or timed tickets are rarely  duplicated if demand out strips capacity. Those excursions will have 'limited availability' on the online tour literature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I  will add that the following day's menus will be available to peruse if you ask the Head Waiter so you can see if you want to pre order. If you're happy to wait, the daily  menus will be in your door fan early in the morning. Have a look at them before breakfast. The butler will then put them in the room folder when the cabin is serviced. 

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

I  will add that the following day's menus will be available to peruse if you ask the Head Waiter so you can see if you want to pre order. If you're happy to wait, the daily  menus will be in your door fan early in the morning. Have a look at them before breakfast. The butler will then put them in the room folder when the cabin is serviced. 

On our last cruise, the menus arrived the night before, with the next day's Daily Programme. I have no idea if this is universal.

3 minutes ago, SwankPooch said:

Thanks for your valuable input . I will be traveling solo , and don’t want to bother the chef for an elaborate dish just for me .

..but that's exactly what you're paying for. Your Maitre d' and your Head Waiter will actively encourage you to go off menu and give the 14 chefs something to do! We all do it all the time.

• Like 2

I must say I have never felt 'actively encouraged'. It took me some time to realise that when the Md'h came round at lunch to ask if the dinner menu was OK, he was actually asking if I wanted something that wasn't on it. On popular dish on the last cruise seemed to be crèpes suzettes, which was never on the menu, but which someone or other had every night.

14 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I must say I have never felt 'actively encouraged'. It took me some time to realise that when the Md'h came round at lunch to ask if the dinner menu was OK, he was actually asking if I wanted something that wasn't on it. On popular dish on the last cruise seemed to be crèpes suzettes, which was never on the menu, but which someone or other had every night.

Reading of others' experiences, I often wonder if a spot of being known to the staff creeps in with staff/passenger interaction.

We have pretty much the same experiences as BigMac  and are usually asked by our Head Waiter if we'd we like to order something for the following day, lunch or dinner. The Maître'd asks too if we are on his walk about meanderings.

Could be of course, because we often eat off! 🙂

Crepes are always on the cart somewhere in the restaurant and the galley frequently over produce so an on the spot request is often furnished.  Crêpes Suzette is the only pud I have. Other than that, it's cheese please Louise!

1 hour ago, SwankPooch said:

Thanks for your valuable input . I will be traveling solo , and don’t want to bother the chef for an elaborate dish just for me .

If you fancy it, order it. Solo, a couple or part of a group, that's part of QG's  raison d'être. 

My husband is a pushover for Dover sole and often has it as a special whilst I go for rack of lamb. I'm not a fish lover and he doesn't like lamb.

Sorted.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SwankPooch said:

You should let them know your requirements before you board.  From the Cunard website search for “special dietary” and you will see this:

Dietary

We will make every effort to meet your dietary requests for low-sodium, low-fat, low-sugar, lactose intolerance, dairy free, gluten free, wheat free and vegetarian diets.  However, please be aware that our chefs are not medically trained. If you require kosher meals, please inform us at the time of booking or no later then 6 weeks prior to departure. Once we receive your request we will send you a list of the meals available and ask you to make your selection and return it to us at your earliest convenience. Please note, we do not have a separate kosher kitchen on board. Hipp Organic baby food jars (Stage 1 and Stage 2 only) are available. Please request this at the time of booking. Please ask your Travel Agent or contact Cunard directly on 1-800-728-6273 to inform us of other special dietary requirements.  Whilst every effort is made to ensure that special dietary requests are met, this cannot be guaranteed. 

• Thanks 1

Be sure to read the dress code suggestions for Cunard, especially the QM2.    Unlike Seabourn, passengers will dress for the evening.    Jackets for informal evenings and dark suits or tuxedos for formal evenings.    On Seabourn the dress for the evening is only a suggestion.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Be sure to read the dress code suggestions for Cunard, especially the QM2.    Unlike Seabourn, passengers will dress for the evening.    Jackets for informal evenings and dark suits or tuxedos for formal evenings.    On Seabourn the dress for the evening is only a suggestion.

Whilst we are in the dress for dinner cohort [husband minus  a tie for the last few years on non formal evenings] sadly, it seems your advice on the required wearing of a jacket for non formal occasions is now history.

Covepoint, In my 20+ years of sailing Seabourn, I can honestly say that the majority of SB cruisers really make an effort for dinner anyway. I doubt Swankpooch will find any real difference in sartorial style. Only that there are generally more dark suits ties on SB on formal nights rather than tuxes in QG. 

We sailed on Seabourn in July 21 and in Feb of this year.    Jackets were rarely seen and I saw no dark suits.   Both cruises were to warm weather areas but the air conditioning on the Ovation was wonderful.   My husband wore a navy blazer and never felt underdressed on Seabourn.    Most men were wearing polo shirts without jackets.    He definitely brings a tux on the QM2 and enjoys wearing it on formal/gala evenings.    Maybe things have changed after the COVID shut down.   We enjoy both lines.

Covepoint, that seems very strange. Normally people are turned away from the dining room or offered a jacket on formal night. Very different to every SB cruise I have been on even in the last year. Maybe you went to the Caribbean which tends to be more casual? Maybe you are thinking about more casual evenings than formal? Generally, i see most in shirts and trousers for casual nights.