Crown Princess propulsion issues again

rrshinn

I've been watching the slow progress of the Crown on and off since the first Alaska cruise of the season. She not setting any speed records, 18.8kn is around 21mph on land. Every now and then she slows way down. I think the biggest problem is she can't maintain a steady sped of 18 knots.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChimneyTenders said:

Something isnt adding up. 

It's currently pulling 18knots. Other ships in the area are pulling 18-20knots. 

If that's the case, why do they keep cancelling stops?

Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 5.16.05 PM.png

The ETA is 1630 today.  On the past several trips she has arrived at 1730 hrs. That's an improvement.  My guess is that the generator issues are resolved but the vibration issue is limiting the no. of turns they can put on the bad shaft/prop.

• 1 month later...

The simple fact is that they have known the entire season and still sell the original itinerary to this day. So people can quibble over minutiae about whatever parts she needs or whose fault it was. But the fact remains that people like myself, sailing Aug 20., are only hearing from Princess and our T. Agents 30 days prior. I found out yesterday. And nobody can say for sure until Princess makes an official decision, so.I don't fault my agent. So unless people are constantly in these forums or, like myself, decide to go on YouTube excited to learn about this cruise-- they are clueless until a month prior. Too late to cancel, although I myself wouldn't anyways. I even looked at reviews of my ship and at the time of purchase found nothing about this stuff. And most people won't delve so far as to read cruise hive or cruise radio daily. So YES there is a management problem in the form of delayed facts/communications. HOWEVER I am still SUPER excited and thankful to be cruising on her and have spent the last few weeks on pins and needles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisings8z said:

The simple fact is that they have known the entire season and still sell the original itinerary to this day. So people can quibble over minutiae about whatever parts she needs or whose fault it was. But the fact remains that people like myself, sailing Aug 20., are only hearing from Princess and our T. Agents 30 days prior. I found out yesterday. And nobody can say for sure until Princess makes an official decision, so.I don't fault my agent. So unless people are constantly in these forums or, like myself, decide to go on YouTube excited to learn about this cruise-- they are clueless until a month prior. Too late to cancel, although I myself wouldn't anyways. I even looked at reviews of my ship and at the time of purchase found nothing about this stuff. And most people won't delve so far as to read cruise hive or cruise radio daily. So YES there is a management problem in the form of delayed facts/communications. HOWEVER I am still SUPER excited and thankful to be cruising on her and have spent the last few weeks on pins and needles.

We sail on the Crown Princess on Aug. 6 and we were officially notified of the itinerary change on July 23. Only 2 weeks before our sailing. What Princess has done concerning the Crown Princess is bordering on Fraud. They knew well before the start of the Alaska season that there were very serious engine issues on the Crown and has done little or nothing to repair them. Yet Princess continues to sail this broken ship, canceling ports and excursions, ruining people's vacations, and is still booking passengers for it while NOT informing them of the engine problems. Princess cares more about money than it does its passengers or guests. Shame on you Princess Cruises!!

•  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBreeze said:

We sail on the Crown Princess on Aug. 6 and we were officially notified of the itinerary change on July 23. Only 2 weeks before our sailing. What Princess has done concerning the Crown Princess is bordering on Fraud. They knew well before the start of the Alaska season that there were very serious engine issues on the Crown and has done little or nothing to repair them. Yet Princess continues to sail this broken ship, canceling ports and excursions, ruining people's vacations, and is still booking passengers for it while NOT informing them of the engine problems. Princess cares more about money than it does its passengers or guests. Shame on you Princess Cruises!!

•  

Unfortunately the details are in the small print. Seems Princess has the choice to do as they like:

8. RIGHT TO DEVIATE FROM SCHEDULED ROUTE, CHANGE PORT OF EMBARKATION/ DISEMBARKATION, SUBSTITUTE TRANSPORTATION, CANCEL CRUISE AND ACTIVITIES, AND CHANGE OR OMIT PORTS OF CALL; SUBSTITUTION.

Except as otherwise provided, Carrier may, for any reason, without prior notice, cancel the cruise; deviate from the scheduled ports of call, route and timetable; call or omit to call at any port or place or cancel or modify any activity on or off the vessel; comply with all governmental laws and orders given by governmental authorities; render assistance to preserve life and property; or change the date or time of sailing or arrival, change the port of embarkation or disembarkation, shorten the Cruise or substitute vessels, aircraft or other transportation or lodging. Accordingly, You should not make any important arrangements or meetings based on the scheduled Cruise, which may change without liability to Carrier.  Furthermore, the Captain of the vessel as well as the operator of any other means of transportation may, in his/her sole discretion, take any action deemed necessary for the safety, security, comfort, or well-being of any person or to prevent damage to or loss of the vessel.

Legal, Yes, right way to do business......NO

6 hours ago, cruisings8z said:

54 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

Legal, Yes, right way to do business......NO

I suggest that you look at the T&Cs of every other cruise line in the world.  You will find similar wording in all of them. Similar disclaimers can also be found for airlines, land tours, and package vacation providers. 

Do I think Celebrity should have been more forthcoming with advance notice about Crowns problems this season? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean the reason for the  disclaimer isn't valid in most cases

Edited by mom says

1 hour ago, mom says said:

I suggest that you look at the T&Cs of every other cruise line in the world.  You will find similar wording in all of them. Similar disclaimers can also be found for airlines, land tours, and package vacation providers. 

Do I think Celebrity should have been more forthcoming with advance notice about Crowns problems this season? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean the reason for the  disclaimer isn't valid in most cases

I think you meant Princess. I just retired after a 40yr airline career,so I'm very well versed in Passenger Bill of Rights.

2 hours ago, Yehootu said:

I think you meant Princess. I just retired after a 40yr airline career,so I'm very well versed in Passenger Bill of Rights.

Oops, yes, Princess, not Celebrity. Hanging out on too many different forums today.

I don't think there is a question about legality here - you implicitly sign away many of your "rights" when you book a cruise, or any vacation for that matter.  However, these are unethical business practices and will ultimately draw on the PCL "bank account" of public opinion.  It also drags down TAs that may recommend PCL voyages over another cruise line based on past experiences.

1 hour ago, scott4020 said:

They have completely stopped selling the rest of the Crown Alaska cruises. 

As of this moment, Princess.com is showing for sale two upcoming Crown itineraries on September 10 & 17, 2022. That said, all its remaining Glacier Bay itineraries in August through 03 September this year show as "not available".

8 minutes ago, bofh said:

As of this moment, Princess.com is showing for sale two upcoming Crown itineraries on September 10 & 17, 2022. That said, all its remaining Glacier Bay itineraries in August through 03 September this year show as "not available".

Sep 22 shows available.

I see that too, that's strange - well unusual, since Princess normally sells these subpar voyages! 🙂

It could be related to the issues in Skagway and them needing to make individual tweaks to the itinerary of each individual voyage.  Princess definitely wouldn't try to sell a voyage going somewhere and then change it in bad faith 😃

In all seriousness, both those voyages (7 day and 5 day sampler) don't go to Glacier Bay, however the 7 day does still show going to skagway.

Edited by cruisingrob21

On 7/27/2022 at 4:08 AM, MrBreeze said:

•  

Hi, we are on the Aug 6 sailing with you. 

I just read yesterday on these boards that others were notified on board that they will not be going into Skagway! Sitka was substituted! Skagway is the only port we have an excursion booked (with Chilkoot) due to the itinerary changes. I emailed Chilkoot and they said the rockslide at the pier in Skagway was in June, and most cruise ships have continued to visit Skagway, but Princess did cancel some visits this week. Soooo...are they going to be honest with us about this or inform us at the last minute? And I totally agree with you, they continued to sell the original itinerary knowing that they would be changing the itinerary. We will end up spending more time on the ship then we will in the ports. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 10:21 AM, mom says said:

I suggest that you look at the T&Cs of every other cruise line in the world.  You will find similar wording in all of them.

Sure.

But, a company can't use the fine print to weasel out of a committment,

AND still be the consumate host.

I don't even know...

Does princess still claim to be the consumate host?

10 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks for this thread. I was thinking of going on nov 2 pacific coastal cruise but now not sure. I’d hate to miss a port.

You would be AFTER the dry dock, which is in October.  Assuming the issues are corrected?

12 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

You would be AFTER the dry dock, which is in October.  Assuming the issues are corrected?

Ship seems to be sailing at 19-20+ knots regularly which would indicate that most engine issues are likely resolved (there still could be 1 generator out which would be needed to get those last 1-2 knots of maximum speed).  Even still, the Caribbean had engine issues for years (still might) even after drydocks.  Might still have them to this day. 

Many of PCL's itineraries don't require full speed, so there's not that much incentive for them to get the ship fixed to operate at full speed if they can eek by and still sell well.  There is certainly a cost benefit analysis.

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bofh said:

I know they missed Glacier Bay yesterday...not sure why.   

• Like 1