Sailing With a Full Moon

days628

I am delighted to tell all of you cruising on March 14th that the moon will be completely full that night! So if the skies are clear it should be beautiful. By March 23rd the moon will be at it's last quarter.

We are sailing on the Volendam March 13th - March 23rd so we will be able to enjoy a full or partially full moon for our first sea nights, on the way to Aruba. There is just something magical for me to be able to stand on deck under the full moon. I do hope the moon will have a calming effect on the sea

Of course I also find it a special time to sail because I will be leaving winter behind and when I return home it will be Spring. Around March 21st the Sun will cross the Celestial Equator, better known as the Vernal Equinox, and Spring will begin. I just hope someone up there reminds Mother Nature!

Warm sunny days and moon filled nights who could ask for anything more. I am counting down the day.

God Bless and Happy Cruising to All.

Days628

Volendam March 13

That does sound beautiful! My daughter is so excited at the idea of seeing a sky full of stars...living in Toronto there is just so much extraneous light that the skies aren't the same!

2 weeks from now I'll be sailing - yippee!!!

Caroline

We moved from an older home in the suburbs to new home in the country a few years ago, so does my wife rave about the 5 bathrooms for 4 people? No. The big screen and surround sound? No. The huge kitchen to watch her husband cook all the meals? No.

It's the complete lack of light pollution and the utterly clear night sky. The billions and billions of stars and planets to gaze at.

We're leaving on March 18th and look forward to all those Caribbean sunsets and star filled skies.

Yikes! Mrs. Bodger is at that certain time of here life where women have sleep issues. I think it is a thermal problem.;)

It most often seems to coincide with a full moon, so I tease her when a full moon is coming that she will be howling at the moon.

Days628, you have been warned, we are on the same cruise, so if you here howling from the aft end of the Verandah deck you will know what it is.:D

BTW drop in on the Roll Call for this sailing http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=220728

Bodger

We were just on the Maasdam for the February full moon and it was beautiful watching it shine on the water. Early in the morning we would see the sunrise in the East and could still see the moon on the other side. Enjoy!

We shall not have a Full Moon but due darkness on our Noordam voyage 03/25/2006 A.D.

That Sunday 03/26 is Mothering Sunday (UK).

:D

When you see the full moon rising on the ocean it is like the moon coming over the mountain.

Light polution here in NJ is immense too so yes the less lights the better viewing there is.

Have you seen the Northern Lights? That is one heck of a spectacle..

May your voyages bring you fairwinds and following seas.:D

We always enjoyed walking the deck before bedtime so we could enjoy the sight of the moonlight shining on the water. My preference, though, is for the new moon when the sky is dark and you can really appreciate the stars. Nowhere better to see that wonderful sight than the sky deck on the Volendam. Just be careful to visit first in the daytime so you know your way around. It gets really dark up there at night.

We always enjoyed walking the deck before bedtime so we could enjoy the sight of the moonlight shining on the water. My preference, though, is for the new moon when the sky is dark and you can really appreciate the stars. Nowhere better to see that wonderful sight than the sky deck on the Volendam. Just be careful to visit first in the daytime so you know your way around. It gets really dark up there at night.

My husband seconds this. A full moon is great but not for stargazing. My DH is the proud owner of 2 telescopes. He even has a computer connected to them to take pictures. My favorite story is that the morning after we had our first child, 18 years ago, after being up all night with me my DH came home to his delivery of his first telescope. Instead of taking a nap he played with HIS new "baby". :eek:

A day late and a dollar short? Gee, I hope not. :(

How about: close enough for government work? :) There, that's better. I'm sailing on the 15th; sure hope I can see the ever-so-slightly full moon after leaving NYC---nothing like a big, beautiful full moon rising against the deep, dark sea. There was such a moon on the last night of my Maasdam cruise last August---it was gorgeous right before dinner.

Yup, I howled at it. (Think I frightened a couple gazing at it, too. ;) )

I'll be sailing in October and will have practically no moon as the cruise completes. That means plenty of stars; great for me. One recent cruise was during a total lunar eclipse and, at sea, it was eerie. The moon hung there like a big cue ball in the sky and I had my binoculars watching it. Quite a sight.

If anyone want to know what the moon will be like during their cruise it is easy to find out.

All I did was use the Yahoo search engine (or any search engine) and type in phases of the moon, 2006. Then I picked a few of the listings until I found the information I needed.

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing!

days628

Volendam March 13

One nice thing about being at Sea in a full moon is that you will not be getting any crazy phone calls. My sister was once a service rep at the phone company and all the "loonies" would call at Full Moon time. Many a clergyman can tell you the office phone rings with many crazy calls.

We were at sea a few years ago for the best type of full moon: a full lunar eclipse. We could see it from the dining room (we left the curtains open), then went on deck to see the end of the eclipse. Absolutely beautiful.

We'll have two full moons on cruises this year: May 13-14 (1st night of Zenith cruise to Bermuda) and December 5-6 (last night of Noordam Caribbean). Both should be lovely.

There will be two partial lunar eclipses this year: March 14 (lucky Days 628) and September 9. Enjoy!

I'll be sailing in October and will have practically no moon as the cruise completes. That means plenty of stars; great for me. One recent cruise was during a total lunar eclipse and, at sea, it was eerie. The moon hung there like a big cue ball in the sky and I had my binoculars watching it. Quite a sight.

Tom, would that have been the total eclipse of October 27-28, 2004 (the night that the Red Sox won the world series in St. Louis, and so the eclipse also got shown on national TV)? We were fortunate to view this magnificent eclipse near the end of the 14-day Maasdam Canada-New England cruise as it sailed from New London CT to New York City. This was the last such cruise of the season, so it was also a repositioning cruise working its way down to Norfolk.

Pete...

I wonder if we were on the same cruise. I was doing a NE/C that trip, but I forget which ship I was on. We did not stop at New London and it was not a repo cruise. Maybe I was on the Rotter or the Amster, leaving from NYC.

I love to travel during a full moon.

Nothing better than watching a big 'ol full moon set early in the morning over the Bridge of the Americas as we entered the Panama Canal last December.

Well, watching the full moon rise over the Grand Canyon last month was wonderful, too. But, alas, we were without a cruise ship.

Cool! I just google'd Moon, 2006 and discovered we'll have a full moon during our Med. cruise in October - that will be wonderful. We had a full moon while we were on the Zuiderdam in Feb/04 and enjoyed it thoroughly with arms around each other, large glasses of wine and a warm breeze.(sigh)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Archived