$16.20 for one measured shot of Bailey's!

MikeyB

On 1/9/2023 at 6:08 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Of course a bottle is cheaper at your local store. All groceries are cheaper at a store. Here in the states Chipotle charges about $10 for a burrito. You think I can't make a burrito for less than that? 

At Costco I can purchase a ten pound hunk of prime tenderloin for just under $200. I'd be surprised if I could find a decent tenderloin at a restaurant for under $50 for half a pound. 

You think a bowl of pasta at Olive Garden costs $20 at cost? I could probably make five or six bowls of pasta at home for the same money. 

I'm not a fan of upcharging just to make a bigger profit (not that NCL knows what profit is right now), but I sure do expect to pay more at a restaurant, on a ship, at the airport, at Disney, than I would by purchasing it at the local grocery store. 

And let’s not forget, the bar/restaurant/cruise ship have to train and pay for a license to serve alcohol — and it is usually paid to every port/country. A bar or restaurant on land only answers to one municipality. 

4 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

If you like to drink Grey Goose which NCL currently charges $15 (plus $3 for service charge if you buy individually) then you tell yourself "if I just drink 9 of these over the course of 7 days then it's worth it to have the drink package". Great deal right? The reality is that other cruise lines don't charge anywhere near that. I just saw a bar menu from MSC where Grey Goose is listed at $8. If NCL priced their drinks based on a realistic market pricing of let's say $10 ($12 with SC) then you'd need to have 13 drinks to make the beverage package worth it.

Except that in order to get those $8 Grey Gooses, I'd have to sail on MSC, something I have no interest in doing. 

NCL can set their prices however they want. As a customer, I can choose whether to take their drink package deal, buy drinks a la carte, or go to a different cruise line altogether. Since I've chosen to sail NCL and I wanted to pick my cabin location, my options now are to buy the $15 drinks a la carte or pay about $150 for as many of those drinks as I want, all week long. Mathematically, if I'm going to buy more than 10 of those drinks over a week, it is cheaper for me to get the FAS package. That is, again, simple math.

I realize your emotional reaction to this is "but it's not faaaaaaair that NCL charges so much for single drinks!" and you're right, it's not fair, but that's irrelevant. That's how capitalism works. They can charge whatever they want to charge. If you don't like it, you're free to switch to MSC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, pookel said:

Except that in order to get those $8 Grey Gooses, I'd have to sail on MSC, something I have no interest in doing. 

NCL can set their prices however they want. As a customer, I can choose whether to take their drink package deal, buy drinks a la carte, or go to a different cruise line altogether. Since I've chosen to sail NCL and I wanted to pick my cabin location, my options now are to buy the $15 drinks a la carte or pay about $150 for as many of those drinks as I want, all week long. Mathematically, if I'm going to buy more than 10 of those drinks over a week, it is cheaper for me to get the FAS package. That is, again, simple math.

I realize your emotional reaction to this is "but it's not faaaaaaair that NCL charges so much for single drinks!" and you're right, it's not fair, but that's irrelevant. That's how capitalism works. They can charge whatever they want to charge. If you don't like it, you're free to switch to MSC.

I couldn’t care any less about how much NCL charges for alcoholic drinks because I don’t drink on the ship since Baileys is no longer covered by the UBP. The fact of the matter is that you’re playing their game and are happy about it…which is right where they want you. At the end of the day I’m not paying their crazy prices for drinks, nor am I paying for the service charges on their UBP because I barely drink at home and while on NCL I make it a point to not give them a single nickel more than the cruise fare. But please, keep justifying their price manipulation tactics as it’s people like you that help keep fares down by creating additional revenue for NCL.

Edited by DaCruiseBug
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SeaShark said:

You make it sound like it was a theme, but they actually only used the word twice, and in each use it was in context of a different meaning of the word...

However, I have to thank you for the laugh I got when you tried to paint the picture that marketing execs would use an internet forum to measure the success of their campaigns. You really get how things really work in the cruise business world.

They actually used “free” 3 times. Once within the word “freedom” which is another marketing gimmick used by NCL. 

Pass down the kool-aid…there’s plenty for everyone.

Why is everyone perseverating over this Bailey's issue? It seems pretty straightforward to me. 

Maloney's is probably a heck of a lot cheaper than Bailey's and 99% of cruisers probably can't tell the difference and/or don't care.  Norwegian wants to move everyone to non-bailey's instead for cost cutting with minimal passenger impact.

Like seriously, if it were like $10 a shot of Bailey's, how many people without a alcohol package would order it on a cruise? like 50? per year?

Everyone has a drink package, the easiest way to move everyone over is is to create this nominal interference in having bailey's in having to go through the trouble of requesting, extra dollar, gratuity, etc etc.  Most people aren't going to go through the effort, and will be perfectly happy, and those Bailey's die-hards will just have to pay like $1 and change.

For those 10 people that like to order only Bailey's and not have a drink package, well, how about considering Maloney's instead?  For those 2 people that only order Bailey's a few time and don't have a drink package where Maloney's is unacceptable... I guess you are out of luck.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

Maloney's is probably a heck of a lot cheaper than Bailey's and 99% of cruisers probably can't tell the difference and/or don't care.

They really should be able to, all these cheap knock off's are fortified with wine instead of Irish whiskey, in the case of Maloney's it's, as expected, wine but also "Irish spirit" whatever the heck that is, it's certainly not Irish Whisky or they would be making a point of saying so.

Maybe the factory worker have to do the river dance every morning so Maloney's is full of the Irish Spirit.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 5:48 PM, Cruising Lynne said:

I enjoy the " Free" beverage package. I can do basic math and make decisions about what is a value to me. I enjoy the freedom of ordering drinks on board without much thought about how quickly the cost may be adding up. It gives me the opportunity to feel free to try some new drinks. If I don't like it I can just order something else. It is fun for me to order what I want. However they "rig " the math, I understand it, but still have fun with it.

When it stops being of value to me, I will stop getting it. I really don't need the extra calories from all those "free" drinks anyways.😉

I agree.  We get the basic drink package so we can try a multitude of different expensive ( to us ) drinks that we otherwise would be "too cheap" to order.  It is not "all about math" for many of us.   And even when doing the math, it still turns out to be a good value to us ( however, I do realize the definition of "good deal" is quite subjective ).  👍

• Like 1

I cannot wait for the "weed" packages to come out.

1. Ditch weed included in the "Free at Sea"

2. Your "Basically Baked" package for $29/pp/pd

3. "Cheech and Chong" Package for $159/pp/pd

Naked Bongo playing will be on the Lido Deck @ 3pm

Edited by CrazyTrain2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Just back from the Oceania boards.

Oceania is NCLs sister cruise line.

Oceania:

Bailey's $11, Crown Royal $11, Woodford $12. 

NCL

Bailey's $16, Crown Royal $16, Woodford $23

Hmmmmm.

And? Are you trying to infer some equivalence here? Are we to think that the operational costs for Oceania are equal to those of NCL?

Hmmmmmm.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

And? Are you trying to infer some equivalence here? Are we to think that the operational costs for Oceania are equal to those of NCL?

Hmmmmmm.

Hello. I posted the price of a shot of liquor on a comparative basis. I didn't mention anything about operational costs, did you? If I wanted to learn about operating costs, the biggest of which is fuel, I would probably start with the financial statements, not the price of a shot of liquor.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 6:10 PM, Trabadeer said:

I guess I'll need to order a side of whiskey to add my Baileys/Maloney's, lol

Yeah, but you pay a buck extra for Bulleit and Crown now too, so I'm not sure you're heading in a better direction (like this thread 🤣).

That said, my shareholder OBC came through, so I can cover 83.33333333333333333 shots of Bulleit now without increasing my final bill. 😎  That sounds like a lot, but you might be surprised!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

I cannot wait for the "weed" packages to come out.

1. Ditch weed included in the "Free at Sea"

2. Your "Basically Baked" package for $29/pp/pd

3. "Cheech and Chong" Package for $159/pp/pd

Naked Bongo playing will be on the Lido Deck @ 3pm

The Vape the Escape on 4/20 to Jamaica!

Concentrate on concentrate cruise to the Marley Motherland!

54 minutes ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

The Vape the Escape on 4/20 to Jamaica!

Concentrate on concentrate cruise to the Marley Motherland!

The ship could aimlessly sail in circles, not even dock in port - AND NOBODY WOULD CARE.

Ya Man, no fighting on this ship - it's all cool 'man

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

The ship could aimlessly sail in circles, not even dock in port - AND NOBODY WOULD CARE.

Ya Man, no fighting on this ship - it's all cool 'man

I don't even smoke and would be happy with a cruise that just goes in circles! I don't need no stinking ports!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Hello. I posted the price of a shot of liquor on a comparative basis. I didn't mention anything about operational costs, did you? If I wanted to learn about operating costs, the biggest of which is fuel, I would probably start with the financial statements, not the price of a shot of liquor.

It isn't a comparative basis unless you provide the context for the comparison. So what comparison are you attempting to invoke? Is your point that the prices should be identical between the cruise lines? Is your point that the prices should be different between the cruise lines?

You are correct, you didn't bother to mention operating costs...something HUGELY important in any company creating a price at which they sell an item. Why didn't you mention them? Do you think they are identical and thus don't matter? 

BTW...if you think the biggest operating cost is fuel, you may want to season your foot so that you'll enjoy the taste.

Just now, SeaShark said:

It isn't a comparative basis unless you provide the context for the comparison. So what comparison are you attempting to invoke? Is your point that the prices should be identical between the cruise lines? Is your point that the prices should be different between the cruise lines?

You are correct, you didn't bother to mention operating costs...something HUGELY important in any company creating a price at which they sell an item. Why didn't you mention them? Do you think they are identical and thus don't matter? 

BTW...if you think the biggest operating cost is fuel, you may want to season your foot so that you'll enjoy the taste.

Yawn. Happy cruising!!