Best things in Port Halifax, NS, Canada?

BillHoo

Oops! Missed the Corvette.  If you are interested in Maritime history, HMCS Sackville, last survivor of the WWII corvette naval vessels is available to tour on the waterfront.  It is today maintained by a charity.

• Like 1

You've got a lot of great suggestions.  
Someone mentioned it  and I second it - if you like wine, a wine tour is amazing.  Grand Pre is the oldest Nova Scotia winery and was my favourite on our tour of several. 

As for restaurants, Halifax has a ton of excellent restaurants downtown but my favourite by far is The Bicycle Thief which is along the waterfront.  Or the sister restaurant, La Fresca on Spring Garden Road. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 9:42 AM, island lady said:

Beautiful boardwalk, many good restaurants and "take aways".   Poutine anyone?  😉 

Poutine is definitely on our "must have" list when we get there in October!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Poutine is definitely on our "must have" list when we get there in October!

If you're planning on diving into that food group, get yourself a Halifax Donair too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

If you're planning on diving into that food group, get yourself a Halifax Donair too.

OMG....I had to look that one up.   Looks so yummy!!  😋  Going to have to try one of those when we are there next year!!  Thanks!!  

On 5/4/2022 at 2:12 PM, MichFish said:

The pink hop on hop off bus.   The tour was so interesting we didn't hop off and did it twice!

I was looking into doing this, but read reviews from just before the pandemic that said they no longer go to Fairview Lawn Cemetery (something about the roads not allowing buses any more, or a sink hole). Does anyone know if in 2022 the buses go to the cemetery? It is not mentioned on their website.

15 hours ago, island lady said:

OMG....I had to look that one up.   Looks so yummy!!  😋  Going to have to try one of those when we are there next year!!  Thanks!!  

They are delicious.  Get lots of napkins....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, publicpersona said:

I was looking into doing this, but read reviews from just before the pandemic that said they no longer go to Fairview Lawn Cemetery (something about the roads not allowing buses any more, or a sink hole). Does anyone know if in 2022 the buses go to the cemetery? It is not mentioned on their website.

If you want a little adventure take the 29 bus from near the cruise terminal to the cemetery.  You'll get a tour of downtown Halifax in addition to a relatively cheap ride.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 10:41 AM, NSnewcruiser said:

Fishing mackerel from the wharf? You can but I wouldn't eat any fish from the harbour 😉

Yea, Not planning to eat the fish.  Just catch and release, or maybe give to some local who might be brave enough.  I don't think I can bring them onto the cruise ship.

Besides, the fish in the harbor, are the same fish caught for food out in the open ocean.  They're just visiting too!

31 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

Yea, Not planning to eat the fish.  Just catch and release, or maybe give to some local who might be brave enough.  I don't think I can bring them onto the cruise ship.

Besides, the fish in the harbor, are the same fish caught for food out in the open ocean.  They're just visiting too!

Don't forget your excursion fee...

https://beta.novascotia.ca/apply-general-fishing-licence-sportfishing

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Thanks!  I plan to stay within the tidal salt water.

I hear mackerel are caught from Point Pleasant Park.

https://beta.novascotia.ca/apply-general-fishing-licence-sportfishing

Where you can and can’t fish

As a licence holder, you’re allowed to fish in lakes, rivers and streams during the open fishing season. You aren’t allowed to fish in privately owned fishponds, rearing ponds, nature reserves or national parks.

You don’t need a licence to fish in tidal or salt water, but you need to follow federal and provincial rules while fishing.

Edited by BillHoo

• 2 weeks later...

Our go to for a donair is Randy's Pizza. You can't go wrong with King of Donair as well as it's the original place that they were made in 1973.There is also donair pizza which is really good.Get the best of both world's and get a donair poutine.mmmmmm Another yummy treat is garlic fingers with bacon.Get the donair sauce to dip them in 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 11:25 AM, DirtyDawg said:

Americans have Kraft Macaroni and Cheese but we have KD. Yes, that's what's on the box, a big KD. My Canadian co-works tell me that the American version is better - probably because the Canadian version is more healthy than ours! 😎

Also, Swiss Chalet Dipping Sauce. Basically a chicken gravy but you have to taste it! I may have had a bad batch - but I didn’t like the gravy at all!

Another is Kinder Surprise, it's a chocolate egg with a toy inside. (But you might get arrested bringing them back to the U.S. as they were banned some years ago in the U.S.) So eat them all before you cross back into the States! We can purchase Kinder Surprise eggs here - but maybe that’s only in the Detroit Metro area.

And besides ketchup chips and all dressed chips I don't think you have Dill flavoured potato chips in the States.  Again, maybe it’s because Detroit is so close to Windsor but we get Ketchup chips, All Dressed chips and Dill chips - thanks to Lays. I will add that the Canadian version of all three types is far superior to the American versions! Thankfully I work in a huge healthcare system and we have a lot of Canadian nurses who cross the border daily to work and bring us the “goods”!!

I'm getting hungry!! And I’m feeling the need to cross the Ambassador Bridge for a candy run!!

The candy bars from Canada are absolutely amazing! Try the Coffee Crisp and Aero Bars! I’m not a fan of the Smarties which are  like M & M’s and not the American Smarties.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 12:09 PM, MCC retired said:

Take a walk down the Boardwalk . visit the Museum then continue down the Boardwalk to the Ferry Terninal  for a r/t cruise across the harbor.

Is the boardwalk and museum within walking distance of the pier where ships dock?  Thanks!

On 5/5/2022 at 8:15 AM, 1kaper said:

You've got a lot of great suggestions.  
Someone mentioned it  and I second it - if you like wine, a wine tour is amazing.  Grand Pre is the oldest Nova Scotia winery and was my favourite on our tour of several. 

As for restaurants, Halifax has a ton of excellent restaurants downtown but my favourite by far is The Bicycle Thief which is along the waterfront.  Or the sister restaurant, La Fresca on Spring Garden Road. 

I see the Bicycle Thief mentioned a lot.  My wife wants to check it out.