Embarkation question - can I leave the ship after embarking?

nattie

We are doing Discovery Princess cruise from Seattle and would like to meet up with friends for lunch before sailing. We have never sailed out of that port, so I dont know what the procedures there are.

Ideally, I would love to pay for "sail away" package for my friends, for them to visit on the ship and have lunch with us there, but I dont think that package is available any longer. 

Second choice is to board the ship around 11 or so (we are Elite), leaving carry-ons in the room and disembarking to meet up with friends. Is this possible? Kind of treating Seattle as port of call?

Any other ideas?

Personally, I would arrange brunch with my friends before embarkation and check in at the terminal in the early afternoon.  Once on the ship, I am not getting off!  So much to do and see.  However, that’s just me and you may be fine boarding and then leaving.  Unfortunately, there is no friends on board lunch at this time.

• Like 3

We did get off after boarding years ago in Istanbul, there were shops at the dock area.  I would ask, when you get to the dock/boarding area.  If the answer is no, then have lunch and come back.  If yes, board and go have lunch.  Hard to know in advance.  

Agreed this is very easy to do, but keep in mind your room may not be ready at 11 to leave your carry ons  in. On our recent cruises, they were ready at 11:45 at the earliest.

Edited by sunviking90

To op/author-I just read on another thread that all Discovery Princess embarkations starting May 15th  out of Seattle will leave at 3 pm and not 4 pm. So you may not have enough time to do lunch with friends if you get onboard first???

23 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

If you have not been to Seattle before, then may I suggest Elliott’s on the harbour front.  Great seafood and you can see the cruiseships!  

Just a "heads up" for those not familiar with Seattle.  Elliott's is located at Pier 56.  The Discovery sails from Pier 91.  Pier 56 and Pier 91 are not close to each other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greenwhite said:

Just a "heads up" for those not familiar with Seattle.  Elliott's is located at Pier 56.  The Discovery sails from Pier 91.  Pier 56 and Pier 91 are not close to each other.

I didn’t mean to infer that you could see Discovery Princess specifically.  Just recommending a good restaurant with a lovely view.  Sorry, if anyone was confused and thought otherwise.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Just got the email about time change. Might have to figure out something else. We will for sure see them on the day we are getting back. I am also considering flying in a day earlier, but flights are RIDICULOUS right now. 

We are coming from East Cost, so breakfast might be doable too.

It completely depends on whether the ship has sailed, or not.

But seiously, yes, you can.   They will warn you with a back-on-board time.

Depending on crowds in the terminal at the time you return, you may get stuck in some lines trying to re-board.

And, technically, you're not allowed to take anything off the ship as you won't be passing through customs.

• Like 1

We had a plan to get off the ship our first cruise back at embarkation if hubs and I couldn't handle the ship after our 2020 grand princess experience.  We didn't know if we could go back to cruising.  

But, for us, it worked out and we're happily back.

That said, you can get off the ship after checking in, but be sure to be back before sail-away or your luggage might go without you!