Testing requirements

Monica887

It seems like Canada's rules changes on April 1? No testing it needed for Canada is you're vaxed? Is this correct? (I will check with the cruise line obviously for what they want, just making sure I'm understanding what I need for air travel and to time it for the right 48 hours...)

You don't need a test to fly into Canada if you are vaxxed. BUT, CANADA (not the cruise line...they are just enforcing Canada's rules) requires a negative test prior to boarding a cruise ship. I believe its 72 hours prior to actual boarding.

13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You don't need a test to fly into Canada if you are vaxxed. BUT, CANADA (not the cruise line...they are just enforcing Canada's rules) requires a negative test prior to boarding a cruise ship. I believe its 72 hours prior to actual boarding.

We boarded a ship in Vancouver to head to Hawaii on April 23rd.  Canada’s regulations accepted a PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding but if using an antigen test it was to be taken within 24 hours of boarding.  Folks boarding in Canada will need to follow the Canadian testing requirements.

11 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

And to follow up, no testing needed to go home? I saw in other threads that there was, but maybe that's changed? 

Depends, you require a test to fly back to the US (if that is where you are from) at the moment.  You don't if you drive.

2 hours ago, Monica887 said:

Then what is the best way to test to go home? Flight is at 5:00 the day we disembark.

If you disembark in Canada and fly to US, you will need a test.  If you disembark in Alaska, you will already be in the US and testing for a “domestic” flight is not required.

If you are indeed flying from Canada to the US, you might want to consider purchasing a proctored test from eMed (multiples of 6) or through the cruiseline.  Royal Caribbean sells the proctored tested through Optum (2 or 3 test options).  I believe the eMed tests are slightly less per test if you need the 6.  You can do the price comparison.  I’m sure other cruise lines also have test purchase options.  The other option would be to find a test site in Canada.

18 hours ago, Free2bMeForever said:

If you disembark in Canada and fly to US, you will need a test.  If you disembark in Alaska, you will already be in the US and testing for a “domestic” flight is not required.

If you are indeed flying from Canada to the US, you might want to consider purchasing a proctored test from eMed (multiples of 6) or through the cruiseline.  Royal Caribbean sells the proctored tested through Optum (2 or 3 test options).  I believe the eMed tests are slightly less per test if you need the 6.  You can do the price comparison.  I’m sure other cruise lines also have test purchase options.  The other option would be to find a test site in Canada.

And just hope the WiFi signal is strong enough onboard to do the proctored test the day before cruise ends.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 2:35 PM, Ashland said:

And just hope the WiFi signal is strong enough onboard to do the proctored test the day before cruise ends.

Or do the proctored test after disembarking (or after ship docks).  Of course, Internet would still be required and might be an additional cost depending on carrier.  Since OP is not flying out until 5:00 (PM I would assume), multiple options exist.

Thank you for the information! I ordered the Emed kits.

For anyone else searching the forum, you order, they sent you home test kits, and you call into a video proctor who observes the test taking to validate it. So right before the end of the cruise (I guess the last morning once we dock and have wifi??) You call in and take the test that way. And yes, then upload it to the Canada app ( thanks PP, extra reminders are good!). It's a pack of 6 tests for $150 total, including the proctoring.

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious...why are people buying a pack of 6 tests?  I've been searching the threads and on the emed website. Don't know if I can buy a two pack for DH and myself. We come back the end of July and I'm trying to figure this all out.

TIA!!

On 5/7/2022 at 10:09 AM, Northern Aurora said:

We boarded a ship in Vancouver to head to Hawaii on April 23rd.  Canada’s regulations accepted a PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding but if using an antigen test it was to be taken within 24 hours of boarding.  Folks boarding in Canada will need to follow the Canadian testing requirements.

Just wanting to make sure I am understanding this,  We are boarding our ship in Vancouver, therefore if we take a antigen test it needs to be 24 hours or less? Not the 48 hours or less as stated on the cruise line website? 

9 hours ago, Bocadude85 said:

Just wanting to make sure I am understanding this,  We are boarding our ship in Vancouver, therefore if we take a antigen test it needs to be 24 hours or less? Not the 48 hours or less as stated on the cruise line website? 

Check with your cruise line for current guidelines.  We are cruising with Princess -- we board in Vancouver on a Saturday and I will be taking my Rapid Antigen test on a Thursday (2 days prior to boarding).  See Princess' guidelines below:

Voyages that embark in Canada:
Based on current Canadian requirements for cruising, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding:

• Within 2 days for Antigen
  • Within 72 hours for PCR

Children aged two to four (who are not yet eligible for COVID-19 vaccines) will require a medically observed negative viral PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days before boarding, plus an antigen test taken at the terminal (complimentary).

Guests who travel internationally should ensure they understand all entry and airline requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel COVID-19 testing.