Embarkation in Barcelona..

Please share post Covid experience of checking in/ boarding in Barcelona. 

We are Platinum, in Junior Suites and have a time of 1pm. 

Would like to know chances of an earlier boarding time, if anyone has experienced this.

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, sowhat said:

Embarked in Barcelona  on Wonder  no checking time slot, only problem that we  encountered was we had a trainee  check in person who  messed up paperwork

Really?  They didn't give you a check in time slot?  What time did you arrive?  Were you given a specific terminal to board through?  My understanding is that Oasis class takes up 2 terminals.  Sorry for all the questions!  We're on the WB TA in late October and starting to get excited about the cruise.

34 minutes ago, Teeara said:

Really?  They didn't give you a check in time slot?  What time did you arrive?  Were you given a specific terminal to board through?  My understanding is that Oasis class takes up 2 terminals.  Sorry for all the questions!  We're on the WB TA in late October and starting to get excited about the cruise.

Yes you do pick a time slot…. But everyone is ignoring it! 

I have a forward cabin and I’m Terminal B 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, little britain said:

Yes you do pick a time slot…. But everyone is ignoring it! 

I have a forward cabin and I’m Terminal B 

Interesting.  And they're still letting people board outside of their times?

50 minutes ago, Teeara said:

12:30 boarding slot, at terminal  11:30 , straight  in.
45mins to check in due to trainee check in girl  and straight  on  ship .
Only one terminal  open for  this sailing  due to low passenger numbers

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Please share post Covid experience of checking in/ boarding in Barcelona. 

We are Platinum, in Junior Suites and have a time of 1pm. 

Would like to know chances of an earlier boarding time, if anyone has experienced this.

Many thanks.

First, being Platinum, and having a JS has nothing to do with check in.....but if you must know, I am Diamond so I get to answer this.

Check in times are to alleviate congestion in check in.  The more Platinum guests that (not Diamond, we are special) do not follow the rules, than the greater the congestion.  So, only Diamond can ignore the rules.  

Now, in many terminals, sure they ignore times, or the port, just does not really care much.  Me personally, have a check in time of 12:30 for my next cruise, and I may even be late for it, since I'm in no hurry.

Just follow the rules, and don't worry about that others break them.  You don't need to follow, but rather lead by example.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Check in times are to alleviate congestion in check in.  The more Platinum guests that (not Diamond, we are special) do not follow the rules, than the greater the congestion.  So, only Diamond can ignore the rules.  

Am interested in what is happening ‘on the ground’ .

However……..

Just found this info..maybe Emerald aren’t so special these days, either !!

Q : Will I still have Priority Check-In at embarkation?
A : The embarkation process has evolved, and to manage the flow of guests following health and safety protocols, guests will request a set arrival time in advance.

For our valued Pinnacle Club members, we offer Flexible Arrival. While the terminal is open, Pinnacle Club members have the flexibility to check in no earlier than one hour before their scheduled check-in time, or one hour after.

Maybe suites have some benefits

Do junior suites get priority boarding on Royal Caribbean? Depending on your embarkation port, guests in a Royal Caribbean Junior Suite do get priority boarding

Edited by Reina del Mar

1 hour ago, Monk86 said:

Is there still a dedicated check in line for Crown & Anchor members or at what level does that start at?

There hasn't been at any of the Florida ports. It looks like maybe Pinacalle or the Key guests get priority, but normal C&A just use the normal lines. 

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

Am interested in what is happening ‘on the ground’ .

However……..

Just found this info..maybe Emerald aren’t so special these days, either !!

Q : Will I still have Priority Check-In at embarkation?
A : The embarkation process has evolved, and to manage the flow of guests following health and safety protocols, guests will request a set arrival time in advance.

For our valued Pinnacle Club members, we offer Flexible Arrival. While the terminal is open, Pinnacle Club members have the flexibility to check in no earlier than one hour before their scheduled check-in time, or one hour after.

Maybe suites have some benefits

Do junior suites get priority boarding on Royal Caribbean? Depending on your embarkation port, guests in a Royal Caribbean Junior Suite do get priority boarding

Maybe, but if eveyone tries to show up at 11:00 to be first in line for the buffet, it creates a mess.

Suites in general are allowed 1 hour before or 1 hour after their check in time.  A JS should be treated the same as a full suite for check in.  However, I can't confirm that Barcelona follows this and from what others have said above, it's irrelevant if they aren't verifying check in times.

16 hours ago, sowhat said:

12:30 boarding slot, at terminal  11:30 , straight  in.
45mins to check in due to trainee check in girl  and straight  on  ship .
Only one terminal  open for  this sailing  due to low passenger numbers

If your arrival appointment was 12:30 why did you arrive at 11:30 ? 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

why follow check out times of the hotel but not check in of RC? 😎

We were  in little café  outside  terminal  when  member  of  cruise staff  said we could go and check when it was quiet

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Wonder sailing out of Barcelona on 15th May. No check- in times being honoured. One Star class banner up outside but no-one there to greet you. First terminal had been closed when we got there at 1pm. I noticed the Star class desk was empty inside and asked if we could check in there as we had junior suite (Sea Class) and the terminal supervisor agreed and took us to a separate area but there must have been other people entitled to priority check in who wouldn’t have noticed this empty desk. Bit of a shambles really. 

• 1 year later...

A new terminal will be available.

"

Royal Caribbean Group won the tender to construct and operate Barcelona’s Terminal G, the seventh and last terminal at Adossat Pier. 

Port of Barcelona’s management board granted the approval to Catalonia Cruise Terminal G – a joint venture of Royal Caribbean Group and Cruise Terminals International.

A JV of Norwegian Cruise Line, Viking and Virgin Voyages expressed interest in tendering for Terminal G last summer. 

Up and running for 2027 season

Catalonia Cruise Terminal G anticipates an investment of over EUR 85m. It expects the new terminal to become operational in the spring of 2027, once Terminal South - World Trade Center is closed in 2026. 

Slated to be a zero-emissions building which utilises renewable energy, the terminal will generate power using photovoltaic panels among other technologies, while the wharf will be able to deliver shore power. Its presence is designed to serve and boost homeporting, part of the port's strategy to create added value for the city. 

New tender underway for building embankment

The port’s management board today also approved the start of the tender process to build a maritime embankment out of rip-rap. It will serve as the first area for depositing materials from the dredging of the navigation channel which will be used for projects underway, such as the enlargement of the Adossat wharf, and future projects – like the new berthing points of the Energy wharf. 

The rip-rap where the redging materials will be deposited will span an area of 44.7 ha between the South seawall and the Prat wharf, with a depth of up to 16 mtr. 

The work also includes building a terrace for collecting and managing the material to facilitate the recycling of materials and avoid unnecessary transport to other locations. 

The tender's basic budget is €94m, excluding VAT, and the performance period is 27 months."

Royal Caribbean wins the bid to operate Barcelona's Terminal G (seatrade-cruise.com)

image.jpeg.77e55bfe5674cac1493ca65eccaa0aa2.jpeg

🍿

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

After spending that type of money, I hope they use a little more imagination in the itineraries they operate from Barcelona. 

Don't hold your breath for O class ships - unlikely they'll do anything different with the new terminal. With seven of them, there'll likely be years with two of them in the Med the same year and like some Florida ports, you'll see them in the 7 day rotation on Sat and Sunday. Maybe even 3 and 4 day rotation.

Edited by Biker19

37 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Don't hold your breath for O class ships - unlikely they'll do anything different with the new terminal. With seven of them, there'll likely be years with two of them in the Med the same year and like some Florida ports, you'll see them in the 7 day rotation on Sat and Sunday. Maybe even 3 and 4 day rotation.

It’d be a shame. They used to do more varied itineraries. I recall doing a 12 or 14 night out of Barcelona to Venice and back several years ago.