Grand Princess updates?

DougH

3 minutes ago, DougH said:

Anyone board the Grand Princess today? Was wondering what updates were made in the drydock. I was on her over Christmas and thought she was in good shape

I'm curious too... and hoping someone will do a "live from" on this cruise - we're boarding her in two weeks and I have lots of questions and a need for info overload to quench this insatiable thirst for all things cruise-related on the Grand!! LOL!! 

1 hour ago, nunuc2000 said:

I'm curious too... and hoping someone will do a "live from" on this cruise - we're boarding her in two weeks and I have lots of questions and a need for info overload to quench this insatiable thirst for all things cruise-related on the Grand!! LOL!! 

I board in 4 weeks

I was on the Grand on the coastal cruise before drydock and the wifi worked fine. Also, FYI, the food was great and I didn’t notice smaller portions. I thought the ship was in good shape and wondered why it needed a long drydock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2022 at 8:14 PM, cdngrl said:

I was on the Grand on the coastal cruise before drydock and the wifi worked fine. Also, FYI, the food was great and I didn’t notice smaller portions. I thought the ship was in good shape and wondered why it needed a long drydock.

We were on the ship in December and also thought she was in great shape also! Maybe it mostly is engine/mechanical work. My cabin looked great (no issues - seemed perfect) but there have been a few comments that some cabins may need some work. Since I only saw my cabin - I would not have known what others experienced.

• Like 1

This is entirely speculation, but I read a story about a Celebrity ship that needed to undergo barnacle removal from it's hull before going to Alaska because "the ship isn’t allowed to sail into many of the sensitive ecosystems in upper Alaska bringing with it sea life from the south such as California and Mexico."  Perhaps Grand had a similar situation requiring a drydock?

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/05/09/celebrity-cruises-cancels-eclipse-alaska-sailing-because-of-sea-life-attached-to-the-ships-hull/

• Like 1

I'm on the Grand Princess right now.  The ship seems in very good shape.  There are lots of areas with new carpeting and new furniture, but I haven't noticed any significant changes made during the drydock.

The internet can be a bit slow at times, but it's generally quite good.

There are currently 1465 passengers on board, so no crowding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As far as I know the previous time the Grand Princess was in dry dock was 2019.

It is a legal requirement that the ship goes into dry dock every few years for inspection and maintenance. @chengkp75 could explain this.

Here is a video from the 2022 dry docking of Grand Princess:

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, westcoaster said:

I'm on the Grand Princess right now. 

When I sailed over Christmas there were only a little over 400. Talk about no crowds lol

We are on board May 11 to 25. The computers were down at Vancouver terminal so it was a bit of a nightmare. Ship looks good and clean. Got to feel for the crew as the Medallion app is a bit of a joke. You really cannot use it for much of anything. The internet has not been too bad better in some areas then other. Works pretty good in the room though.

I would do a live from but sounds like work does it not. Any easy stuff I will try to answer. It is wonderful not to have crowded elevators. And one of the Dinning rooms is closed. But not a problem as we dine at 7pm and can get seated right away. ????

6 hours ago, cheese please said:

We are on board May 11 to 25. The computers were down at Vancouver terminal so it was a bit of a nightmare. Ship looks good and clean. Got to feel for the crew as the Medallion app is a bit of a joke. You really cannot use it for much of anything. The internet has not been too bad better in some areas then other. Works pretty good in the room though.

I would do a live from but sounds like work does it not. Any easy stuff I will try to answer. It is wonderful not to have crowded elevators. And one of the Dinning rooms is closed. But not a problem as we dine at 7pm and can get seated right away. ????

They were using that dining room for crew a few months ago so they can spread out when they eat (help prevent COVID).

19 hours ago, westcoaster said:

I'm on the Grand Princess right now.  The ship seems in very good shape.  There are lots of areas with new carpeting and new furniture, but I haven't noticed any significant changes made during the drydock.

The internet can be a bit slow at times, but it's generally quite good.

Any chance they can tell you what the passenger count is currently sitting at for the May25th cruise? Glad to hear it's good shape... take good care of her until we get there haha!  

19 hours ago, brisalta said:

As far as I know the previous time the Grand Princess was in dry dock was 2019.

It is a legal requirement that the ship goes into dry dock every few years for inspection and maintenance. @chengkp75 could explain this.

Here is a video from the 2022 dry docking of Grand Princess:

That video is pretty cool... and terrifying!! There's not a chance in h3ll I would walk under it like that!! HAHA!!  But it is pretty neat to see the propellers and the stabilizer wings like that. 

The Grand Princess was YELLOW, according to the CDC Dashboard, which makes sense since it was in dry dock with no passengers.  Effective May 12th, just ONE DAY after embarkation, it was elevated to ORANGE with a notation that the CDC is investigating.  I really find this hard to believe.  Am I missing something?

We board May 25th.

5 minutes ago, Senga said:

The Grand Princess was YELLOW, according to the CDC Dashboard, which makes sense since it was in dry dock with no passengers.  Effective May 12th, just ONE DAY after embarkation, it was elevated to ORANGE with a notation that the CDC is investigating.  I really find this hard to believe.  Am I missing something?

We board May 25th.

Keep in mind that the threshold for CDC investigation, orange status, is just .3% of all guests and crew... if there are just under 1500 guests, and for arguments sake, let's say 700 crew,  .3% of the 2200 people on board isn't even 7 people.  Not surprising at all that they have at least 6 or 7 people who are currently positive.  That's a very low number, relatively speaking.  Quite possible that during drydock, they had a few crew who were positive... just one guest testing positive on board (in spite of showing a negative test result before boarding) could bump it enough to jump from yellow to orange.  That's the thing with covid... you could test negative one day, and positive the next... it's a tricky little bug to be sure!  

Hopefully any cases are very mild and spread will be limited as much as possible. 🙂 

On 5/14/2022 at 9:00 AM, nunuc2000 said:

Any chance they can tell you what the passenger count is currently sitting at for the May25th cruise? Glad to hear it's good shape... take good care of her until we get there haha!  

I ask one of the bartenders he thinks full capacity starting in June. Liz the Captain Circle rep who is a real sweet heart. Had them turn off the music in the One5 so it is a quiet area for reading and naps. It is 9C and partly cloudy in Juneau. It has taken 2 days to post this. Some how it went into the ether then we lost or internet while in Skagway. And in there was my 70th that somehow involved drinking. Cheers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cheese please said:

I ask one of the bartenders he thinks full capacity starting in June. Liz the Captain Circle rep who is a real sweet heart. Had them turn off the music in the One5 so it is a quiet area for reading and naps. It is 9C and partly cloudy in Juneau. It has taken 2 days to post this. Some how it went into the ether then we lost or internet while in Skagway. And in there was my 70th that somehow involved drinking. Cheers

I spent quite a bit of time in One5 reading on my Christmas cruise. I loved that bar.

On 5/13/2022 at 10:47 PM, cheese please said:

We are on board May 11 to 25. The computers were down at Vancouver terminal so it was a bit of a nightmare.

We boarded on May 11, but we must have made it through before there were any computer issues.  It was the quickest boarding I've ever had.  We arrived shortly after 10:30 and were on board by 11 am.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 3:47 PM, cheese please said:

Is there any chance you could post pictures of the Wine Lisa from the MDR ?

We will be on the grand later in the season.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Wanderers2 said:

Is there any chance you could post pictures of the Wine Lisa from the MDR ?

We will be on the grand later in the season.

Thanks in advance

Sorry that should say Wine List 🤪

7 hours ago, cheese please said:

Liz     IS      wonderful.  The next time you see her out and about or walk by her office, please let her know that the Mac Nut lady sends her aloha.  Thanks