Live … Ovation of the Seas …Alaska … May 13 - May 20, 2022

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Great pictures. It is really cool of you to do this for us.

Thanks OB. I discovered something about pro mode I want to share with you.   If I don't post it here I will try to remember to post it on THE thread we home.  You will like it.  Works in pro video mode too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, luv2sailAgain said:

We are on the June 3 sailing and will, hopefully, be walking from the shuttle drop to the Totem Pole park. I used Google Earth to estimate the distance and got about 1/2 mile to the entrance of the parking lot. I will measure again to verify.

That sounds correct.   When you are taking in the view and shooting memories it doesn't seem that long..... Unless your legs are still sore from walking the Skagway trails.  😆 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The Bald Eagle is such a majestic bird.  It's no wonder the US chose it as the national bird.  

I have a nice close up from the Raptor Center I will try to share.  I can't post pics from the room.  You will love it.  Such details.   An owl too.

3 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Great video's did you take these from your phone?

Yes.  Since retiring I have little use for a phone so when I got this one I was looking for a camera that had phone capabilities.   😆 It's a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.  It has a 10x lens that has really come in handy on this trip.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SightCRR said:

More great photos. Thanks. 

Get ready to batten down the hatches on the way to Victoria:

Alerts for: Greater Victoria - Environment Canada (weather.gc.ca)

Wind speeds are in km/h. 

sightcrr

This trip has been the smoothest cruise we have been on....... Until we left Sitka!  I was surprised how much we were tossing around the first couple hours.  The ship was moving faster than normal which added to it.  Right now the wind is up and we a rocking some but not bad for a cruise. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, reefgeek83 said:

How has the cell service been in ports?

We have T-Mobile and according to their coverage maps, we have service in each port. I'm not planning on getting a internet plan, just turning our phones on in port to check in on the kids. Curious how the service has been.

We use at&t and friends Verizon.   We have received 5g most of the time and lte+ at times.  Really good service.   I have been load most of the pics and vids on it.  It stays connected for a while when sailing from ports while outside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

@Ozark_Kid Great pictures John. Loved watching bald eagles. How far was the hike to see the totem poles?

If you are taking the actual trail alone I would guess maybe 2 miles.  Add about 1/2 mile to the Raptor Center.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Pictures are terrific!

Thanks!  Have you cruised Alaska before?  After this cruise I will be excited to cruise with my daughter.   This was originally her idea but as you probably remember she will be having her 1st baby in 3 months! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

@Ozark_Kid Great pictures John. Loved watching bald eagles. How far was the hike to see the totem poles?

You might want to look thru the town Visitor Guide.  Lots of info on sights to see, plus a few maps showing popular attractions (with a scale to show walking time and distance).   

Maps & Guides - Visit Sitka

Highly recommend Fortress of the Bears., a rescue center.

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@John&LaLa I haven't seen you pop in yet.  Is Alaska to cold or are you busy enjoying your temporary land visit.  😆 

Sorry, been swamped with honey do lists

Never done AK, really should follow along

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sorry, been swamped with honey do lists

Oh wow you have never done AK.  I have sailed 4 times. 

It is a wonderful place and each port has so much to do. You must go and any cruiseline is good like HAL or yes RCI.  Even NCL on Bliss with huge observation lounge.

If you go sail first from Seattle.  Then go back and sail from Vancouver 1 way and do land tour.

hurry now times is a wasting.  Of course you will have to sit the dog down and explain

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The Bald Eagle is such a majestic bird.  It's no wonder the US chose it as the national bird.  

I am having breakfast at 270.  I will see if I can load the pics from here. 

image.thumb.png.6388c8a7e9e25f0575815cdefbcffbae.png

image.thumb.png.2eed7d39d8a906e10634c23e6fb4b550.png

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Before this I really never considered it.  After this trip I will do it again.  Will your world cruise bring you up here any?  If so you will love seeing the snow topped mountains. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Amazing pics of the "birds". Thank you for this wonderful review. So glad you're enjoying every minute and the weather is cooperating 🌷

Thanks Dani.  I bet I will have plenty to catch up on "the thread" when I get back!

• Thanks 1

After the trails we walked to the other side of Sitka.  We found these steps going waaay up.  So after walking several miles the last couple days what do you do?  Climb to the top.  After going half way I thought,  this better be worth it.

image.thumb.png.b860e7f28ba9a56529d5291a963ece03.png

image.thumb.png.8507d9d2aa3b93ab20699e62d437447c.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Beautiful photos.     Looks like an amazing cruise.   Thank you for sharing🥰

Thanks Debbie.   I am so surprised that this is turning out to be one of my favorite cruises ever.  Yes I miss the warm beaches but this is a different neat experience.   I think after the Aruba cruise I want to start exploring overseas. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Oh wow you have never done AK.  I have sailed 4 times. 

It is a wonderful place and each port has so much to do. You must go and any cruiseline is good like HAL or yes RCI.  Even NCL on Bliss with huge observation lounge.

If you go sail first from Seattle.  Then go back and sail from Vancouver 1 way and do land tour.

hurry now times is a wasting.  Of course you will have to sit the dog down and explain

Our plan is to sail from Vancouver to Seward, then fly to Dutch Harbor. Laura's mom grew up there before the war.

The world cruise doesn't go there, but we get Antarctica and Norway/Iceland/Greenland 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We just got off the bummer cars and made it down to the Solarium.   We got to meet the vlogger that has been mentioned here. He is such a nice guy.  Enjoyed talking with him.  Maybe he will stop by here and share. 

• Like 3