Tipping: Above and Beyond

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

“Tip” is British slang meaning to “give” or to “pass”.  The acronym for TIPS (which is an urban legend) would be TEPS:  To Ensure Prompt Service.

lol Well I guess in my mind she was indeed a urban legend. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, iceman93 said:

That reminds me of one of our cruises when one of our cabin stewards was named Agus.  He addressed it straight way at our first meeting:  "My name is Agus, like a goose.  Honk!  Honk!"  My daughter loved it, and I can tell you we didn't forget his name at all after that.  😆

Thank you for your post!  I am glad to know that I have been pronouncing the gentlemens' name of Agus properly after all of these years.   

The usual deal is that someone tips for service that was done directly for them, often in their presence.  The problem is that there are a lot of crew members going "above and beyond" behind the scenes.  What about them?  This is why HAL has the overall hotel service charge.

If you want to tip more, then up the hotel service charge.

igraf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, igraf said:

The usual deal is that someone tips for service that was done directly for them, often in their presence.  The problem is that there are a lot of crew members going "above and beyond" behind the scenes.  What about them?  This is why HAL has the overall hotel service charge.

igraf

I put cash in an envelope with a note and put "for laundry staff" on envelope.

I put it in laundry bag.  I thank them for their for hard work. I put bag on 

door handle by 9 PM and then the next day my laundry is delivered back to me 

by the time I get back from breakfast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, igraf said:

igraf

I agree with you 100%. My only difference of opinion is that anyone indirectly behind the scenes needs to be compensated appropriately by the cruise line. Most of us have no clue as to whom is being compensated or at what percentage. I will use the laundry personnel for example. If I am using the laundry service for cleaning personal items then absolutely they should be compensated with a portion of the tip. However if the only thing they are being compensated for is the laundering of linens from the cabin then that compensated should be from the cruise line since that should be covered in the cruise fare. I do not tip the laundry people at a hotel I stay at as they are compensated by the hotel. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

Yours is a unique practice, I think.  And, I think it is appropriate.  Particularly, since it seems to be the recent practice of a small note from the laundry staff being included with the return of the freshly cleaned clothes.  

• Like 1

As to remembering. I use a journal that I carry with me (small, about 3x5 inches) to write down names, dates and locations. I also ask how they pronounce their name if it is not a familiar one (Agus for instance). I write that pronunciation down as well. I also use that information for filling out the daily comment cards I get at the Guest Relations' desk. That is a real bonus for the staff.

Jim

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Yours is a unique practice, I think.  And, I think it is appropriate.  Particularly, since it seems to be the recent practice of a small note from the laundry staff being included with the return of the freshly cleaned clothes.  

I don’t know how unique it is but I do the same.  Last time they got out a stain I don’t think I’d be able to get out.  I appreciate that very much.  I don’t do it every time I send it out but once or twice a cruise.  Usually $10 plus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeh10641 said:

As to remembering. I use a journal that I carry with me (small, about 3x5 inches) to write down names, dates and locations. I also ask how they pronounce their name if it is not a familiar one (Agus for instance). I write that pronunciation down as well. I also use that information for filling out the daily comment cards I get at the Guest Relations' desk. That is a real bonus for the staff.

Jim

We almost always have one if our Apple products with us so we just take a photo of the crew member. 😉

• Thanks 1

One tipping situation that I hadn’t thought about until our last cruise was when I desired to leave a sizable tip for a server in a specialty restaurant.  I first added it to the bill as a charge to the room.  I asked the server if he would receive the money I left on the bill and he reluctantly informed me that it would be pooled…cash; however, would not.  (I had to press to get the answer out of him.). I removed the tip and left him cash.  Now, this was not on HAL, but I would guess that is probably the same.

Edited by mrspeck
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mrspeck said:

One tipping situation that I hadn’t thought about until our last cruise was when I desired to leave a sizable tip for a server in a specialty restaurant.  I first added it to the bill as a charge to the room.  I asked the server if he would receive the money I left on the bill and he reluctantly informed me that it would be pooled…cash; however, would not.  (I had to press to get the answer out of him.). I removed the tip and left him cash.  Now, this was not on HAL, but I would guess that is probably the same.

I know of no way to add a tip on the bill at specialty restaurants.  I always have some cash  on myself for that reason.  That said with the 18 percent already added on the bill I don’t tip every time like I used to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Belinda Van Krevel said:

if they paid these 3rd world workers properly we wouldn't need to worry about this tipping fiasco

No you wouldn’t have to worry about tipping - just about the much higher cost of your cruise 😉 😝 

• Like 2

In the Main Dining Room, I had 5 different servers.  (No, not all at the same meal!).

Anyhow, one of them was named Wishnu.  I greeted him & got the pronunciation correct.  He, did go on to say that "Wishy Washy is also fine!"

-----Matthew

On 5/29/2022 at 6:50 PM, BetsyS. said:

I like this idea; have always wondered how to show appreciation to laundry staff and there it is right in front of me. Thanks.

• Like 3

I remember a woman on a transatlantic cruise who became very stressed out toward the end of the cruise.  I asked her why.  She said she understood that the gratuities in place meant that she no longer had to worry about tipping, but since others were talking about how much further they were going with the tipping, it made her feel inadequate.  I reminded her that the cruise line put that in place so that crew and others on the ship would receive their tips, and there was no need to tip further if that's what she felt.  It really is a personal choice, and every time these threads appear, there is alot of conversation about tipping.  I tip extra when I receive extra, but in the case of servers already receiving an 18% gratuity, I don't feel obligated to tip more.  My cabin stewards are usually remembered by us for more cash, but it really depends on the service received.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@albingirl  this points to the reason price shouldn’t be discussed once onboard.   Sure we can talk here as advice or news but once onboard it is water under the bridge and there is no reason to make someone second guess their decisions 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, albingirl said:

I remember a woman on a transatlantic cruise who became very stressed out toward the end of the cruise.  I asked her why.  She said she understood that the gratuities in place meant that she no longer had to worry about tipping, but since others were talking about how much further they were going with the tipping, it made her feel inadequate.  I reminded her that the cruise line put that in place so that crew and others on the ship would receive their tips, and there was no need to tip further if that's what she felt.  It really is a personal choice, and every time these threads appear, there is alot of conversation about tipping.  I tip extra when I receive extra, but in the case of servers already receiving an 18% gratuity, I don't feel obligated to tip more.  My cabin stewards are usually remembered by us for more cash, but it really depends on the service received.

Spot on with your statement that it really is each and everyone’s personal preference follow their own heart. In our many years we have heard far too many conversations to count in the price paid for their cruise or the tips they have left. In our 5 decades of cruising we have found many instances where we felt additional was required and many where what was already allocated was sufficient. Like you when thinking back the cabin steward has in most cases been more involved in our happiness than most other crew. Before the innovation of anytime dining I might have also included the dining table waiter and assistant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Sure we can talk here as advice or news but once onboard it is water under the bridge and there is no reason to make someone second guess their decisions 

Agree.  As I have posted before, when dining in a specialty restaurant, I do watch to see what others are doing when they leave the dining room.  Leaving an additional gratuity has become less and less frequent in my observations.  

• Like 1