been exposed but negative test?

Asking for a friend who is sailing out of galveston.  I know they need to test before they board.  They have been around someone who has tested positive within 14 days of their departure.  If they have a negative test, will they be allowed to sail?  I think they had it a couple months ago, so likely will test negative.

I've seen reports that no they won't be.  14 days is a bit extreme for incubation period even though I know the CDC says 2-14 days.  Our internist said almost everyone who catches it does so in 3-5 days after exposure.  

What gets me about the exposure within 14 days question is a lot of people are exposed but don't realize it because it's someone they don't know personally and they never find out.  So, it's really a useless question.

Edited by BND
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, BND said:

I've seen reports that no they won't be.  14 days is a bit extreme for incubation period even though I know the CDC says 2-14 days.  Our internist said almost everyone who catches it does so in 3-5 days after exposure.  

What gets me about the exposure within 14 days question is a lot of people are exposed but don't realize it because it's someone they don't know personally and they never find out.  So, it's really a useless question.

So you are saying they won't be allowed to sail with a negative test, based on the 14 day exposure?

1 minute ago, feenix said:

So you are saying they won't be allowed to sail with a negative test, based on the 14 day exposure?

I've seen that reported, but the only way to find out is to report the exposure and see what happens.  Other option is just to say no to all the questions.

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That's from the original strain and that was based on a vague Chinese study. Since Omicron you can be exposed, test positive and then test negative within a week.

Incubation period means you can show symptoms during that time frame/test positive.  And, they are still saying 2-14 days for someone to show symptoms/test positive after exposure.

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That's from the original strain and that was based on a vague Chinese study. Since Omicron you can be exposed, test positive and then test negative within a week.

This is what happened to me and the hubby. Got tested last Thursday for Saturday departure. Both tested positive. Got another test and positive. Mind you we had no symptoms at all. 

Took another test yesterday and they were negative. Then used a home test and they were negative also. Its just so confusing sometimes

MIchele

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BND said:

I've seen that reported, but the only way to find out is to report the exposure and see what happens.  Other option is just to say no to all the questions.

All passengers must complete a health questionnaire 1 day before boarding.   If they answer yes to exposure they may be denied boarding.

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

All passengers must complete a health questionnaire 1 day before boarding.   If they answer yes to exposure they may be denied boarding.

I know that.  Isn't that what I said in my previous post?

13 minutes ago, feenix said:

I guess I am looking for a yes or no, but everyone seems to be saying maybe.  Don't they have any documented way to determine whether they allow someone to board?

No.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BND said:

Yes I agree. Only so much tracing can be done because people are on the move.