Question on Alaskan cruise

2 hours ago, Buffyblue02 said:

Years ago, the ship that went to Alaska did what I can only describe as a 360 degree turn between some glaciers.  Does that still occur and if so what ship is it?  

Welcome to Cruise Critic. If you are venturing to the Dawes glacier, all ships do the 360 to afford everyone onboard a view of the glacier. How close you get depends on the amount of ice in the water. If there is moderate ice, the ship may stay up to 5 miles away for the viewing. The Glacier Explorer shore excursion will disembark you onto a small tour boat to get up close and personal with the glacier. 

It depends.  At Hubbard I've seen a Captain do 360 turns (or more) and I've seen a Captain keep the bow pointed towards the glacier then do a 180 and leave.  

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic. If you are venturing to the Dawes glacier, all ships do the 360 to afford everyone onboard a view of the glacier. How close you get depends on the amount of ice in the water. If there is moderate ice, the ship may stay up to 5 miles away for the viewing. The Glacier Explorer shore excursion will disembark you onto a small tour boat to get up close and personal with the glacier. 

Quantum class do a 180 and leave.   Smaller classes have done 360 or more.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Q class -Ovation and Quantum.

I would disagree with this statement. Neither of those behemoths should be in Alaska.

With that said, IMHO Royal is also not the best cruise line for Alaska. I would expand to other cruise lines. One factor is Glacier Bay. Royal doesn't go there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Q class -Ovation and Quantum.

54 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I would disagree with this statement. Neither of those behemoths should be in Alaska.

With that said, IMHO Royal is also not the best cruise line for Alaska.

Although I have already chosen the ship (Serenade of the Seas) for my upcoming Alaskan cruise, what reason(s) can you provide to support your opinions on the size of the ship?

6 minutes ago, Travel R said:

Although I have already chosen the ship (Serenade of the Seas) for my upcoming Alaskan cruise, what reason(s) can you provide to support your opinions on the size of the ship?

It has little to do with size - the ship is made for cold weather like Alaska, has way more things to do and visits enough of the usual ports/locations. Ship choice is very subjective and personal - it all depends on what your criteria is for a good cruise.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Travel R said:

I have cruised to Alaska twice on Serenade. I enjoyed them both immensely.  This next cruise to Alaska will be on Ovation. I wanted a larger ship which has more to do on sea days.  There are 2 sea days plus embarkation day and then Victoria which is essentially a sea day for me so that is a lot of free time.  The additional shows, dining options and musical entertainment are what sold me. I have been on one Quantum class before and it was my favorite cruise ever.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have cruised to Alaska twice on Serenade. I enjoyed them both immensely.  This next cruise to Alaska will be on Ovation. I wanted a larger ship which has more to do on sea days.  There are 2 sea days plus embarkation day and then Victoria which is essentially a sea day for me so that is a lot of free time.  The additional shows, dining options and musical entertainment are what sold me. I have been on one Quantum class before and it was my favorite cruise ever.

It will be interesting to get your feedback upon your return on Ovation in comparing the two cruises. [I followed your thread discussing Serenade on her return to Alaska last year.]

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Travel R said:

It will be interesting to get your feedback upon your return on Ovation in comparing the two cruises. [I followed your thread discussing Serenade on her return to Alaska last year.]

With the Serenade cruise last year I was just glad to be on ship with very little expectation.  That being said it was a great cruise and I enjoyed it immensely.  I spent and an inordinate amount of time at the R-bar/Centrum sitting with a drink and my iPad listening the band or guitar player and posting on Cruise critic or playing online chess.

This cruise, as all subsequent cruises have been, will have higher expectations about activity on them.  I'll let you know how things go. 😉 

2 hours ago, Travel R said:

I have nothing against the big ships...the negative for me is that they sail from Seattle and too much time is spent to get there and back. I love either the roundtrip from Vancouver or even better the northbound from Vancouver to Seward...sailing to Alaska rather than away.

• Like 1

We have always done the B2B smaller Radiance cruise Seward to Vancouver and back.   And have been super lucky so far to get favorite aft corner cabin 9256.   All of the aft cabins have a great view on both sides as you cruise in the inland passage.  

One of the best things about the Hubbard glacier visit...is the sail away.  Best view of glacier all the way out...no one to fight for railing space for a view.  Order a cheese plate, open the wine...ahhh...life is good.  😉 

WP_000119.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Even better in my PJ's, wrapped up in a blanket and a cup of hot chocolate.

Of course you noticed Bucky was huddled under his sweatshirt...but still insists on wearing his flip flops.  😄 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1