Live from the Ruby Princess - 10 day Alaska Inside Passage 5/20-5/30

7seascruising

Just now, cruzin4us said:

@HaveDogWillTravelJust curious if the salmon were running up the creek thru town?    I think it's still early but I'm hoping they are when we are there in a couple of weeks.   I found that so fascinating, I could just watch them for hours.

I'm glad you are able to post some pictures, it makes the anticipation all that much better.

The flowers are beautiful, you hit Ketchikan at a perfect time!

I walked down park street from the totem museum and it followed the river. I did not see them. 

• Like 1

Being quarantined on the Ruby has been a bummer since it happened half way in but I must say we are being well cared for! Someone calls us and asks us what we want for lunch and dinner before we are even hungry. We have had great meals from the MDR. It’s not the same as being there but they are trying!  The medical staff has brought us Tylenol and cold meds. Today our bed linens were changed which I was not expecting. Our room steward brought us real Kleenex today instead of that rough stuff we have been using. Oh my how appreciative I am! My nose is raw! We get to stay in our original cabin because we asked for a room with a bathtub like what we have and they didn’t have one so they let us stay in our room. We are in a mini suite. Of course I would much rather be in the comfort of my home while

being sick, this could be so much worse. 

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Being quarantined on the Ruby has been a bummer since it happened half way in but I must say we are being well cared for! Someone calls us and asks us what we want for lunch and dinner before we are even hungry. We have had great meals from the MDR. It’s not the same as being there but they are trying!  The medical staff has brought us Tylenol and cold meds. Today our bed linens were changed which I was not expecting. Our room steward brought us real Kleenex today instead of that rough stuff we have been using. Oh my how appreciative I am! My nose is raw! We get to stay in our original cabin because we asked for a room with a bathtub like what we have and they didn’t have one so they let us stay in our room. We are in a mini suite. Of course I would much rather be in the comfort of my home while

being sick, this could be so much worse. 

That is so good to hear, that they are so attentive and taking care of you.  
Is it like a bad cold?  
Hope you recover quickly.

• Like 2

@HaveDogWillTravel your photos are spectacular. Thanks for continuing to do internet battle to share them. It looks like your weather has been unbelievably good. 

@7seascruisingI’m very sorry to hear you contracted COVID, but am happy to hear your quarantine experience has improved over what guests were faced with in late March and April. Whether Princess changed a few policies or it’s just because quarantine numbers are lower makes no difference; it’s better and that’s what counts. Also, SO much nicer to be in your own cabin. Feel better soon!

• Like 7

Rainy day in Prince Rupert. @Coffeeluvr05 I hope your symptoms are mild. Do you have to stay in your cabin for the rest of the cruise?  How do they know if you stay in it?  Can you test and get released? What happens when we get to SF?  Sorry for all the questions. I’m doing a B2B and I have managed to not pick up the virus. I’m just wondering what the procedures are now as they seem to have changed. 

Thanks. 
and here’s how that sunset last night ended 

9BC1E44A-1B98-4E94-9681-93ED0B36BE9A.jpeg

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Rainy day in Prince Rupert. @Coffeeluvr05 I hope your symptoms are mild. Do you have to stay in your cabin for the rest of the cruise?  How do they know if you stay in it?  Can you test and get released? What happens when we get to SF?  Sorry for all the questions. I’m doing a B2B and I have managed to not pick up the virus. I’m just wondering what the procedures are now as they seem to have changed. 

Thanks. 

Wow that sunset is just stunning!!  Stay healthy!!  

55 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thanks. 

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL.   Did you take this with a special camera or with your phone?   It really is stunning!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thanks. 

Beautiful sunset photo! Thanks for sharing this as well as all your other great photos. Your weather this week looks fantastic.

12 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

That is so good to hear, that they are so attentive and taking care of you.  
Is it like a bad cold?  
Hope you recover quickly.

Thanks for the well wishes. Yes, very much like a bad cold. Went from bad sinus pressure to just a lot of congestion and now it is in my chest. I would most certainly not want to be walking around the ship in this condition even if I didn’t have Covid. I sound horrible! 

Edited by Coffeeluvr05
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Thanks for the well wishes. Yes, very much like a bad cold. Went from bad sinus pressure to just a lot of congestion and now it is in my chest. I would most certainly not want to be walking around the ship in this condition even if I didn’t have Covid. I sound horrible! 

So sorry.  Get well soon.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Take care of yourself......I've been thinking about you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thanks. 

Yes, we are here for the rest of the cruise. We are identified somehow to all crew as “in isolation”. When they were here swapping out our towels and emptying trash we heard “we have an open door” over their radio so they must know when our door is open. I would never leave in this condition though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 12:37 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

The Nick Jans photography exhibition in the piazza yesterday was awesome. He has some stunning wildlife photos. And the stories are so interesting. I didn’t think it would be appropriate to post his pictures but if you get a chance to see his work do it. North to Alaska is such a great program. 

Let us know if they test you as a b2b?

Some say they have stopped testing b2b’s.  TIA

1 hour ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

That sounds awful.  Has med center considered you for any RX like Paxlovid?

Do they have it onboard?  I know not everyone can take it....

Or is it more of a hands off approach, where they wait for you to complain? 

I'm curious how involved the onboard Med center is?

Thanks for all your reporting, and really Hope it goes away quickly for you. Take care

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

That sounds awful.  Has med center considered you for any RX like Paxlovid?

Do they have it onboard?  I know not everyone can take it....

Or is it more of a hands off approach, where they wait for you to complain? 

I'm curious how involved the onboard Med center is?

Thanks for all your reporting, and really Hope it goes away quickly for you. Take care

I had considered asking them about an antiviral but I would prefer my own doctor’s input. Other than the paramedic who initially came to our room to administer the PCR test when we first reported it we have only been contacted by Guest Services each day to see how we are doing and if we need anything. We seem to be doing fine with Tylenol, decongestant, and cough medicine. Even our room steward calls and asks if we need anything even though another team actually handles stuff. Everyone has been really great. I wish I had all their names because it is times like these when it really counts. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I had considered asking them about an antiviral but I would prefer my own doctor’s input. Other than the paramedic who initially came to our room to administer the PCR test when we first reported it we have only been contacted by Guest Services each day to see how we are doing and if we need anything. We seem to be doing fine with Tylenol, decongestant, and cough medicine. Even our room steward calls and asks if we need anything even though another team actually handles stuff. Everyone has been really great. I wish I had all their names because it is times like these when it really counts. 

Thats so good to hear, that they are taking care of you.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 7:06 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Sabatini’s was open Friday the 20th, Crown is open tonight the 21st. So if you want to guess what alternating day each is open for the next cruise that might help. I’ll be eating at Sabatini’s tomorrow night and will ask Dennis the restaurant manager there if the pattern continues across cruises. 

Albert & Max  (two of my Sabatini waiters from last month)were both promoted to assistant restaurant manager….Albert in Michelangelo and Max in DaVinci. I have been eating at a private table for one in Michelangelo’s and it has been night and day better than my previous MDR experiences on this ship. 

I often, but not always, eat in Club Class which is of course wonderful.   I have also had a few sailings without CC where I tried to use DMW and eat in the MDR. In the past (November thru April) it has been a dismal failure. This time lo and behold they see my reservation, the two tops are very nicely spaced apart and I am truly impressed with the service and food.  I keep my meals simple and have been in and out in an hour or less. As was mentioned by @Coffeeluvr05the Alaskan cod last night was simply stunning. Best I’ve ever had. The prime rib tonight was excellent (the baked potato of all things was a miss). 

I ate at 7 pm yesterday and at 5:20 tonight. Both nights I’ve noticed a huge line at DaVinci as I head down to deck 5 for Michelangelo’s where I’ve had only 1 or 2 parties ahead of me in a “line”. 

I will have to say the white wine by the glass selection has been nothing short of dismal. I am not a Chardonnay drinker so can not speak to that. But Vines has no whispering Angel, no Gloria Ferrar or Chandon Sparkling, no decent Sauvignon blanc at $12 or less. I went on a mission today to all the bars and was able to find a couple of bars that had some of my preferred choices.  But they told me that the bottle they had was the last one they had. Ughhh. I am not a cocktail, red wine or beer drinker but it looks like I may have to branch out…..at least until we get to a port where I can buy some bottles to bring back on.  

On 5/22/2022 at 8:52 AM, 7seascruising said:

Yes. The seas are much calmer today. After the last two days of rockin and rollin, this is very welcome. 

Also, my wife agrees whole heartedly about the prime rib. I had the lasagna, which was also excellent. I have a bowl of French onion soup every night and it never fails to disappoint. 

On 5/22/2022 at 8:52 AM, 7seascruising said:

Yes. The seas are much calmer today. After the last two days of rockin and rollin, this is very welcome. 

Also, my wife agrees whole heartedly about the prime rib. I had the lasagna, which was also excellent. I have a bowl of French onion soup every night and it never fails to disappoint. 

Oh yeah. We ate that French Onion soup nightly on Discovery Princess last month

14 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thanks. 

Beautiful picture!!