ATLANTIC OCEAN IN OCTOBER FROM MADEIRA TO BRAZIL

tiger45

I am cruising on the MSC FantasiaΒ  about 24 October from Funchal to Salvador. We will have 6 consecutive At Sea days. How are the seas at that time? We have midship balcony cabins.Β 

4 hours ago, tiger45 said:

I am cruising on the MSC FantasiaΒ  about 24 October from Funchal to Salvador. We will have 6 consecutive At Sea days. How are the seas at that time? We have midship balcony cabins.Β 

Smooth as glass unless their not.

13 hours ago, tiger45 said:

13 hours ago, tiger45 said:

Β 

You will be crossing the path of developing Atlantic hurricanes as the season hits it late peak. Β Of course, this means nothing if there is no nascent hurricane as you make your crossing β€” but hopefully mentioning it makes you think. Β 
Β 

The fact is: you will have the kind of weather which prevails at the time you are in that particular bit of ocean β€”- this, of course, means that you will get what you are going to get, which is the best prediction for any itinerary any time of year.

• Like 2

Below is a link to an old thread (old enough to be growing some whiskers). Β  It is not your precise route, but related perhaps. Β  The responses paralleled what others have already said here about unpredictability, but folks also offered some of their experiences. Β Just no guarantees.Β 

Β 

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2115434-weather-on-the-atlantic-in-october/

• Like 2

I obviously agree with what others have said -- it could be calm, it could be rough, it could be somewhere in between.Β  While it is during part of hurricane season, I would not add that to my worries if I were you, as the ship will avoid the hurricane.Β  That being said, seas can be and are created by storms that could be a long ways away, so even though you stay out of the hurricane, you could experience heavy seas as the result of one that you missed.Β  The heaviest seas I ever saw were on a beautiful, bright, sunny day.Β  The seas were about 50'.Β 

Β 

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.Β  That's about all you can do.

I have done Barcelona to Buenos Aires via Brazil, and the following year Barcelona to Rio, both in November. Once we hit Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands it was hot , hot all the way to Brazil, and on both occasions the seas were very calm all the way there. The route the Costa ship took was to sail Gran Canaria and head south towards the Cape Verdi islands, you could see the islands but we did not stop, the cruise then crossed the Atlantic towards Racife in Brazil. Would have no problems in taking this cruise again.Β 

• Like 1