Butler tipping when you have a suite

Bob1956

10 hours ago, Bob1956 said:

we are going to Alaska with Holland America. What is the customary tipping for the butler. We are in the Pinnacle suite

@Bob1956

Howdy! emo22.gif

Your thread has been moved to the HAL forum where it will be on topic.

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

On 5/23/2022 at 1:43 PM, Bob1956 said:

we are going to Alaska with Holland America. What is the customary tipping for the butler. We are in the Pinnacle suite

Without knowing the cruising experience you have, sailing in the Pinnacle Suite will provide you with spacious and pleasant accommodations and, I would expect, the best Cabin Stewards on the ship.  The Concierge in the Neptune Lounge will be very attentive.  But, if Butler service has been your experience in your cruising past, that level of service will not be available on HAL.  Nonetheless, you will have the opportunities to enjoy other experiences that HAL offers that most of us enjoy.  

Tipping your Cabin Stewards?  Offer any additional gratuities that you wish based on your satisfaction with their services.  And, don't forget the Neptune Lounge Concierge as well, particularly if you use their services.  

As already stated, HAL does not employ butlers for their suites.  Funny story - a couple of years ago we were talking to a couple at the Neptune cocktail reception who were VERY upset because they did not get a butler, even though they said they had one on their last HAL cruise!  They refused to believe me when I told them that HAL (in at least the last 20 years) has not had butlers.  They continued to raise a fuss about it, so we just moved on.  I guess some people just get confused.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

They continued to raise a fuss about it, so we just moved on.  I guess some people just get confused.

We know what we know even when we don't understand that what we know is incorrect.  At least for some.  

I have never understood what the fuss was on a butler.  i had one on my O cruise and other than bring me tea when I had a cough - he did nothing for us.  I could have called and gotten the same thing from room service or gone to the Neptune Lounge and made my own and had it when I wanted it.

Sorry if am obtuse, but the concierges on HAL have done more for me than the butler on O.  i don’t understand why everyone was gushing over them.

JME.

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

We know what we know even when we don't understand that what we know is incorrect.  At least for some.  

So true!  In my example this guy was so upset about the lack of a butler it was unreal.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, kazu said:

I have never understood what the fuss was on a butler.

When I sailed in Yacht Club on MSC Meraviglia, I tried to obtain as much as information as I could on the MSC Message Board about the use of Butlers by those who have experienced them.  I discovered when I was aboard that there is a qualitative difference between a Cabin Steward for one's stateroom/suite.  It's a small one.  There are other "services" that a MSC Butler can perform, at the guest's request, but, not doing so does not affect the enjoyment of one's cruise.  

One service that was provided on such a large ship as Meraviglia was a reserved seating area for YC guests for Main Theater shows.  There was a Butler present to shoo other guests from those seats.

I know I underused my Butler.  I'm my own "butler".  

23 hours ago, kazu said:

the concierges on HAL have done more for me than the butler on O.

On the Westerdam, I was gently chastised by one of the two concierges when he saw me at the Front Desk doing something that his colleague or he could have done.  

Having a "butler" is a type of lifestyle that is something I don't have.  And, really don't want.  

1 hour ago, Bob1956 said:

We are in the Pinnacle suite and HAL said there was a butler. I am already disappointed with HAL after cancelling 4 of my excursions. I have redone them but not what we were expecting

Strange.  No butlers in the PS.  Perhaps you misunderstood as there is a butler’s pantry.  Basically a small kitchen with it’s own entrance which is used by the staff serving you dinner in your room if you order course by course dining (very nice by the way).  It has a huge fridge, coffee maker, etc for your use and those serving you.

On 5/25/2022 at 8:20 PM, kazu said:

I have never understood what the fuss was on a butler.  i had one on my O cruise and other than bring me tea when I had a cough - he did nothing for us.  I could have called and gotten the same thing from room service or gone to the Neptune Lounge and made my own and had it when I wanted it.

Sorry if am obtuse, but the concierges on HAL have done more for me than the butler on O.  i don’t understand why everyone was gushing over them.

JME.

Jacqui,

We had some of the sort you speak of, and then we have had awesome ones on Oceania.  I have to say that on our last cruise when both DH and I contracted COVID, our butler was beyond helpful.  While he was not allowed to come in our cabin, he was there for us in many ways to do things for us that we were not allowed to do things for ourselves.  

We have had some that anticipated our needs, and had one where I had to anticipate his needs(LOL).  Anyway, I book the room for the size, not the butler.

Terri

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Anyway, I book the room for the size, not the butler.

I did the same, Terri. 😉 Glad you had a good one when you tested positive 👍 

4 hours ago, Bob1956 said:

We are in the Pinnacle suite and HAL said there was a butler. I am already disappointed with HAL after cancelling 4 of my excursions. I have redone them but not what we were expecting

There are a couple threads around the boards about the excursions being canceled. Its about shore vendor's staff shortages, not a HAL issue. Believe me, the ship's markup on excursions is healthy, they wouldn't cancel if they didn't have to.

Again, HAL doesn't have Butlers, hasn't in the almost 30 years we have sailed HAL, all in the Pinnacle or Neptune Suites. There was a miscommunication somewhere. Yes, there is a Butler's Pantry in the Pinnacle...very handy. And there are the Neptune Lounge concierges, who do a wonderful job of taking care of you. But no Butlers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bob1956 said:

If you were speaking directly with a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC) at HAL then I would take it up with a Concierge in the Neptune Lounge.  There will be a recording of the conversation and those Concierges can work miracles.  I hope you are at least enjoying other aspects of your cruise.  It would be a shame to let this mar your experience.