Scooter rentals

travellgirl

1 hour ago, travellgirl said:

Has anyone ever rented scooters in Bermuda for a day that can be delivered and picked up at the pier?  My husband would like to rent one for one of the days that we are there. 

A mobility scooter or a moped?

1 hour ago, travellgirl said:

Has anyone ever rented scooters in Bermuda for a day that can be delivered and picked up at the pier?  My husband would like to rent one for one of the days that we are there. 

Am I correct that you're on the Celebrity Summit ? If so, you'll be docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard and Oleander Cycles has an office right there. 

https://www.oleandercycles.bm/

(I'm assuming you want to rent a motor scooter)

Edited by njhorseman

On 5/23/2022 at 5:17 PM, njhorseman said:

Am I correct that you're on the Celebrity Summit ? If so, you'll be docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard and Oleander Cycles has an office right there. 

https://www.oleandercycles.bm/

(I'm assuming you want to rent a motor scooter)

Yes, a motor scooter.  Thank you so much. 

5 hours ago, travellgirl said:

Yes, a motor scooter.  Thank you so much. 

The roads in Bermuda are narrow, winding and have no shoulders. They drive on the other side in Bermuda. The roads have not been maintained in the greatest shape the last few years. I have seen fellow cruise passengers that rented scooters onboard afterwards with injuries. I have seen near accidents. I know someone who rented one who broke her pelvis. I read the local Royal Gazette and even local residents who are familiar with the roads are getting injured and killed every week on scooters. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

I have used Oleander Cycles in Bermuda, and they have locations in several places besides right at the Royal Dockyard.  The Dockyard location has a small test loop that you ride while they watch you to make sure you feel comfortable riding the motor scooter.  Last time I was there was three years ago, and I was on a trans-Atlantic cruise and so only had one day in Bermuda that time.  Oleander rents PGO scooters, essentially the same as the Genuine Buddy sold in the USA.  They are very easy to ride, and very well maintained.  I recommend them highly, and a scooter is the best way to see Bermuda.  The only people in cars are locals, and they expect to see a lot of out-of-town rookies on scooters.  Speed limits are very slow.  Have fun while seeing the three attractions normally done by bus excursion in three days. You can easily go from the Dockyard through Hamilton to St. George and see the Crystal Caves and the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum, and Zoo in a single day if you don't waste time having a long lunch.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, vintagegarage said:

I have used Oleander Cycles in Bermuda, and they have locations in several places besides right at the Royal Dockyard.  The Dockyard location has a small test loop that you ride while they watch you to make sure you feel comfortable riding the motor scooter.  Last time I was there was three years ago, and I was on a trans-Atlantic cruise and so only had one day in Bermuda that time.  Oleander rents PGO scooters, essentially the same as the Genuine Buddy sold in the USA.  They are very easy to ride, and very well maintained.  I recommend them highly, and a scooter is the best way to see Bermuda.  The only people in cars are locals, and they expect to see a lot of out-of-town rookies on scooters.  Speed limits are very slow.  Have fun while seeing the three attractions normally done by bus excursion in three days. You can easily go from the Dockyard through Hamilton to St. George and see the Crystal Caves and the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum, and Zoo in a single day if you don't waste time having a long lunch.

Bermuda now has a variety of small electric cars available for rental by tourists. They're a substantially safer way to get around on your own than the scooters.

As far as speed limits are concerned...no one seems to obey them any longer and passing the underpowered rental motor scooters on Bermuda's narrow roads is a local sport.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 7:38 AM, vintagegarage said:

a scooter is the best way to see Bermuda

I couldn't disagree with you more. Needlessly dangerous romp on the left side of the road on scooters that are limited in speed when all the locals are zipping around you on busses and cars. Thats the best case scenario when its dry-- when a rain storm comes through all hell breaks loose. 

As others mentioned-- the new electric cars are a great way to be independent or just take a taxi. Its vacation-- enjoy yourself. No need to white knuckle it. 

• Like 4

On 5/25/2022 at 6:38 AM, vintagegarage said:

I recommend them highly, and a scooter is the best way to see Bermuda.  The only people in cars are locals, and they expect to see a lot of out-of-town rookies on scooters. 

That is really bad advice and full of misinformation to encourage scooters.  All those attractions can be done in one day with a taxi tour or other means without risking life and limb. It is only Thursday and a visitor  on a rental scooter has  ended up in the hospital and a local resident died on a motorcycle. If you want to risk your own health and life that is okay but you should not make it sound easy and safe to on ride Bermuda roads. 

https://www.royalgazette.com/drive-for-change/news/article/20220525/riders-leg-injured-in-south-road-crash/

https://www.royalgazette.com/transport/news/article/20220523/robert-hudson-named-as-islands-sixth-road-death-of-year/

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

My guess is that you "safety above all else, including experiencing life and the fun it can give you" probably don't ride scooters around your neighborhoods when you are home.  Please correct me if I am wrong about that.  If you think a taxi ride around Bermuda is more enjoyable than a scooter ride around Bermuda, then you are missing out on life, while protecting it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vintagegarage said:

My guess is that you "safety above all else, including experiencing life and the fun it can give you" probably don't ride scooters around your neighborhoods when you are home.  Please correct me if I am wrong about that.

Mischaracterization. The rental scooters are slow, the roads are more dangerous than most we have in the states, you are on the wrong side of the road, and the locals hate you for doing it and make a game out of trying to box you out. 

What part of life am I missing out on?

• Like 4

I have been travelling to Bermuda for thirty years and always hired a scooter. 
While I don’t necessarily disagree with the comments made here, I do feel Bermuda is the safest place in the world as a tourist to be hiring and riding a scooter.  The caveat in my mind being that one really should have experience on the road and not just ride around in a circle to demonstrate proficiency. More so the case if two people are sharing a scooter.

I would never recommend casual hire for anyone who has no experience riding a motorbike of some kind. 

The hire cost in recent years has increased hugely and I don’t see it is a cost effective way of seeing the sights when taking a day rental.

Everywhere is accessible by public transport and hiring a taxi for a half or whole day is likely to cost less. Especially if there are two people or more. 
Private tours are usually less expensive than cruise line tours and not difficult to arrange. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 11:38 PM, vintagegarage said:

This is really helpful - we've both ridden bikes/scooters for 40+ years and drive on the left at home.  I really want  to hire a scooter - but  I don't want a 50CC - they are underpowered - if  you maintain the speed of the traffic you are a risk in my experience.  We want to hire something that can go up the hills, against the wind doing the speed limit (I assume 50km / hr?) - does such a thing exist. 

We also want 2 sooters - we love each other but don't trust each other to ride pillion LOL 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 4:52 AM, RW75 said:

I have been travelling to Bermuda for thirty years and always hired a scooter. 
While I don’t necessarily disagree with the comments made here, I do feel Bermuda is the safest place in the world as a tourist to be hiring and riding a scooter.  The caveat in my mind being that one really should have experience on the road and not just ride around in a circle to demonstrate proficiency. More so the case if two people are sharing a scooter.

I would never recommend casual hire for anyone who has no experience riding a motorbike of some kind. 

The hire cost in recent years has increased hugely and I don’t see it is a cost effective way of seeing the sights when taking a day rental.

Everywhere is accessible by public transport and hiring a taxi for a half or whole day is likely to cost less. Especially if there are two people or more. 
Private tours are usually less expensive than cruise line tours and not difficult to arrange. 

I'm kinda shocked at the prices - I'm seeing $100 for a single day hire - as we need 2 - that is more expensive that the ship's bus tour- but  probably more fun!  

I agree in our part of the world - its beginners getting hurt/killed in Thailand/Bali - and then discovering that their insurance doesn't want to know as they were illegally riding as they didn't have motorbike licenses. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lissie said:

This is really helpful - we've both ridden bikes/scooters for 40+ years and drive on the left at home.  I really want  to hire a scooter - but  I don't want a 50CC - they are underpowered - if  you maintain the speed of the traffic you are a risk in my experience.  We want to hire something that can go up the hills, against the wind doing the speed limit (I assume 50km / hr?) - does such a thing exist. 

We also want 2 sooters - we love each other but don't trust each other to ride pillion LOL 

Only up to 50cc is allowed to be rented. The speed limit in Bermuda is 35 km/hr.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Only up to 50cc is allowed to be rented. The speed limit in Bermuda is 35 km/hr.

Thanks that's disappointing.  Is Bermuda hilly?  Is that even for people with motorbike licenses? 

Just now, lissie said:

Thanks that's disappointing.  Is Bermuda hilly?  Is that even for people with motorbike licenses? 

Bermuda is hilly. No that limit is only for rentals. Because of the narrow winding roads and congestion they limit tourists. I think locals can go up to 150cc. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lissie said:

I'm kinda shocked at the prices - I'm seeing $100 for a single day hire - as we need 2 - that is more expensive that the ship's bus tour- but  probably more fun!  

You might want to look at the electric car rentals. They are two seaters and at least one of the vehicles, the Twizzy rents for $99 for a single day. There are several rental companies.

https://www.gotobermuda.com/article/bermuda-car-rental-options

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

When we were there a few weeks ago, our van driver and the scooters were zipping all over the place, and we passed a serious accident involving a scooter. Jerry thought the drivers (all types) were going easily 40-50 mph (approx. 50-80 km/hr.). I looked it up upon arriving home and 35 km/hr (23 mph) is correct. Apparently that is just a suggestion that very few follow.

16 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

When we were there a few weeks ago, our van driver and the scooters were zipping all over the place, and we passed a serious accident involving a scooter. Jerry thought the drivers (all types) were going easily 40-50 mph (approx. 50-80 km/hr.). I looked it up upon arriving home and 35 km/hr (23 mph) is correct. Apparently that is just a suggestion that very few follow.

Yes, there is a lot of speeding. 

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You might want to look at the electric car rentals. They are two seaters and at least one of the vehicles, the Twizzy rents for $99 for a single day. There are several rental companies.

https://www.gotobermuda.com/article/bermuda-car-rental-options

Interesting - I must admit electric vehicles scare me because of the lack of range - and 110V scares me even more because the charging must be very, very slow. Maybe we just stick to the buses and ferries 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 8:25 AM, joyandjerry said:

We met a couple on the cruise who got into a scooter accident. He had such bad break on his arm that it required surgery and she got horrible road rash that the doctor said will leave permanent scarring. The taxi driver on the way home from the hospital said they were lucky as".. a lot of tourists come home in boxes." They also couldn't leave the hospital without upfront payment of the hospital visit. (GET TRAVEL INSURANCE)

If you have experience with scooters AND you are comfortable driving on the left hand side of the road (UK, Australia, etc visitor), then have at it. I know driving in Ireland and Scotland with my husband was a 2 person job  - he focused on the road while I focused on the GPS and gave visual clues of where to go - especially on the roundabouts!  (When we dropped off the car, the person in front of us still had his hospital bracelet on and told Hertz he had no idea where the car was because he was picked up in an ambulance and spent days in the hospital)  If your experience with driving on the left and scooters in general is limited, I highly highly discourage you from renting one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, psuboater said:

We met a couple on the cruise who got into a scooter accident. He had such bad break on his arm that it required surgery and she got horrible road rash that the doctor said will leave permanent scarring. The taxi driver on the way home from the hospital said they were lucky as".. a lot of tourists come home in boxes." They also couldn't leave the hospital without upfront payment of the hospital visit. (GET TRAVEL INSURANCE)

When I took my first cruise to Bermuda  many years ago I saw  passengers with slings. I asked what happened. A lot the bike slid and they didn't know why. That was when I became aware of the danger. Every cruise after to Bermuda I noticed slings and road rash injuries. That is why like you I discourage the scooter rentals. 

There was a serious accident on Wednesday that sent a visitor from the US to the ICU with serious head injuries. 

https://www.royalgazette.com/news/transport/article/20220701/female-us-visitor-in-icu-with-head-and-leg-injuries-after-being-thrown-over-wall-following-crash/

• Like 1