PRICE CHANGE CONFIRMATION - CELEBRITY WHAT IS THIS?

KillerP

We have a celebrity Eclipse 12 Night Australia and New Zealand cruise departing 27 November 2022 booked. Final payment is not due until September.

Was looking at our booking today and was asked to complete basic passenger information. That is address , country of origin etc. Upon entering this information, another page came up asking confirmation of a price increase of nearly $3000 AUD.  With option to pay now or pay later.

We have another cruise booked for March 2023 with the same message appearing.

Does this mean that Celebrity are now able to increase the price of cruises at any time they wish?

In the past (pre Covid) once a cruise was booked and at least required deposit paid price was locked in. Any increase in fare was in favor of the passenger whilst any decrease was in favor of the cruise.

Celebrity and you are bound by the terms in your contract.  They certainly can add a fuel surcharge at any time.  Since it appears you are from Australia your Australia/NZ rules apply and do differ from other countries.

Could be an error or website issue (for which Celebrity is well known).  Think you will need to call and ask what happened. 

1 hour ago, KillerP said:

Was looking at our booking today and was asked to complete basic passenger information. That is address , country of origin etc.

We usually have to complete that before we can get a booking confirmed and the deposit paid...

All seems rather strange, presumably you did get mailed a guest invoice when you paid the original deposit?

Should be fair for both parties before final payment, if the price goes down you can get a refund of the difference. Hence, if the price goes up, the seller should be able to benefit.  if you don’t want to pay more, cancel, get a full refund and look elsewhere. The price shouldn’t be locked in until final payment.

5 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Should be fair for both parties before final payment, if the price goes down you can get a refund of the difference. Hence, if the price goes up, the seller should be able to benefit.  if you don’t want to pay more, cancel, get a full refund and look elsewhere. The price shouldn’t be locked in until final payment.

But that is not the way it works- fair or not. Cruise lines offer to drop prices to stop people from constantly canceling and rebooking. Unless regulations are very different where OP is booking, once you have made a deposit, you have locked in a price. 

• Like 1

If Celebrity is going to raise their prices this much, the rationale behind it should be explained in writing to clients.  Maybe this will be the new normal; put down a payment to hold a cruise, but know that the price can be raised at any time...your price is exhorberant with the increase!  You need to call immediately, especially since this increase is for two different cruises.

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

If Celebrity is going to raise their prices this much, the rationale behind it should be explained in writing to clients.  Maybe this will be the new normal; put down a payment to hold a cruise, but know that the price can be raised at any time...your price is exhorberant with the increase!  You need to call immediately, especially since this increase is for two different cruises.

I think you need to carefully read the OP.  The OP stated they had not completed any personal details.  Can you complete a booking in Australia where it seems the OP lives without details?  In the US you cannot.  Sure appears the OP looked at a cabin and maybe put it on hold.  Until they come back all we can know is it doesn't make sense.  A booking does not lock in things until a deposit is in place.

• Like 2

Call them.  I got a similar message on a recently booked cruise.  It was just the pricing of all the included perks.  I was told the online system takes a little while to catch up and to show the offset credit to those charges.  A few days later the price was back to what my booking confirm showed. But I called when I saw that message.  

18 hours ago, KillerP said:

We have a celebrity Eclipse 12 Night Australia and New Zealand cruise departing 27 November 2022 booked. Final payment is not due until September.

Was looking at our booking today and was asked to complete basic passenger information. That is address , country of origin etc. Upon entering this information, another page came up asking confirmation of a price increase of nearly $3000 AUD.  With option to pay now or pay later.

We have another cruise booked for March 2023 with the same message appearing.

Does this mean that Celebrity are now able to increase the price of cruises at any time they wish?

In the past (pre Covid) once a cruise was booked and at least required deposit paid price was locked in. Any increase in fare was in favor of the passenger whilst any decrease was in favor of the cruise.

What did you do with the request to confirm the increase?

14 hours ago, ev8876 said:

Call them.  I got a similar message on a recently booked cruise.  It was just the pricing of all the included perks.

I've seen that impact on the displayed balance to be paid, never seen it trigger a re-pricing message.

I'm still stuck at how the OP managed to book a cruise without the basic passenger details being completed in the first place...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I think you need to carefully read the OP.  The OP stated they had not completed any personal details.  Can you complete a booking in Australia where it seems the OP lives without details?  In the US you cannot.  Sure appears the OP looked at a cabin and maybe put it on hold.  Until they come back all we can know is it doesn't make sense.  A booking does not lock in things until a deposit is in place.

"IF"...I did read what the OP said; did you read what I said..."IF?"  Please be more considerate when you quote someone rather than passing judgement.  Of course we do not know the entire situation.  The OP may not even come back for details.  I would not have expected this comment from you, Arizona Wildcat...Have a nice day!  

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

I've seen that impact on the displayed balance to be paid, never seen it trigger a re-pricing message.

I'm still stuck at how the OP managed to book a cruise without the basic passenger details being completed in the first place...

I've seen it possible to book and make a deposit on a cabin with just the one person and a second (or 3rd and 4th) list as to be named. The OP says that a deposit was made so it was my guess that this was the situation.  

5 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

If that was the case though there would be no surprise at the re-pricing caused by adding additional guests?

It is not adding additional guests. I booked a cabin and didn't have the legal name of the other person. So I was listed as the first guest, and my cabin mate was listed as "to be named". I went in later to put in the name. The cabin was booked for two right from the beginning. I think it would be possible to book a cabin for 4, for example, putting in the one name, and listing the other three as "to be named" but still booking it for 4 and paying the deposit for 4.