Bus from Seward to Juneau

PatricF

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I also hope our OP is asking about a different city.  If not then please look at a map of Alaska.  

The teaching of Geography is among other subjects of the social sciences that have been reduced in our schools in recent years.  

• Like 1

Seward to Anchorage is most likely what you meant. If you are flying out that day, look into the early morning train which Celebrity and several other lines offer- it is supposed to be a lovely trip. . If not, you have a couple of choices- some buses make stops along the way, some take most of the day, others go pretty directly, although it still takes a number of hours. We are booked on ACT since they seemed to get very good reviews and the price was right. It is a lovely ride however you do it. 

Edited by 5waldos
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 4:36 PM, 5waldos said:

Seward to Anchorage is most likely what you meant.

I suspect that, too, is the intent. Juneau may be the political capital of Alaska, but Anchorage is its economic capital, and because of those two distinct roles I can see confusion between the two (not unlike Albany and New York; Springfield and Chicago; and many other states).

There are multiple bus lines connecting Seward with Anchorage. The Park Connection service is the most reliable regular route option, operating twice daily between the two cities. Alaska Cruise Transportation also provides regular route service, but only on days cruise vessels arrive and depart Seward; the service is to and from the port itself, and is entirely oriented to, and scheduled for, cruise vessel arrivals and departures. Seward Bus Lines is the oldest regular route option, but many passengers have commented on the lack of quality service and equipment provided; it is likely to be the most economical choice. Finally, it should be noted that there are up to Alaska Railroad trains daily between Seward and Anchorage, one being a regular service train that operates every day, and the other being a charter service that operates only on days cruise vessels arrive and depart Seward (this train operates to and from the port itself, with tickets available only from the cruise lines chartering the train and not from Alaska Railroad). Full details are published bi-monthly in the Canada and Alaska Timetable.

• Like 1

The chartered train is, at least initially, restricted to people flying out the day of disembarking. I have tried to book tickets but have not been successful since we are staying in Anchorage for a couple of days. 

• Like 1

Would be nice if the OP came back and clarify their post.

Assuming the OP meant Seward-ANC, is there more than one bus company? So the choice for transport would be the train, ship's transfers, a bus company, rental car, IIRC.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 7:42 AM, PatricF said:

Can any comment on the best bus line to take from Seward to Juneau?

There is no land connection between Seward and Juneau. Perhaps you are asking about bus service from Seward to Anchorage post cruise? 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 1:07 PM, Northern Aurora said:

I also hope our OP is asking about a different city.  If not then please look at a map of Alaska.  

I'm new to this.  What's an OP?

On 5/28/2022 at 10:02 AM, 5waldos said:

The chartered train is, at least initially, restricted to people flying out the day of disembarking.

No, it is not the case that the train is reserved only for person who choose to also travel by airplane, and doing so on the same day of travel by cruise vessel disembarkation. The destination of the train is the airport in Anchorage, so the train is most convenient for those persons continuing onward by airplane. But if you wanted to continue onward not by airplane but by People Mover transit bus (or by taxi, or even by walking), you could do that, too. (And if one gets stuck dealing with a cruise line representative who thinks otherwise, then just make up an airplane departure to complete the railroad ticketing . . . you don't have to also buy an airplane ticket from the cruise line!) What is important to keep in mind that the chartered train does not provide service to the downtown Anchorage station, and for that reason it is not most convenient to those persons who will be staying over a few days at a hotel in downtown Anchorage. For that reason, travel on the other train from Seward, which departs late in the date, may be more convenient because it serves the downtown Anchorage station, not the station at the airport.

• Like 1

On Celebrity, at least, I was not allowed to purchase tickets for the morning train unless I was flying out that day. I wasn't required to use their flight services, but was asked to input my flights, etc. Yes, I could have told a bit of a lie and gotten tickets, but chose not to. I don't know if this is true for all of the lines that co-charter that train, but it is for Celebrity. I was told by several agents, and also when I tried to book online it refused to accept my reservation. As the time comes nearer, they may open it up to anyone who wants to take it but we decided to just book a bus. 

Edited by 5waldos

10 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

On Celebrity, at least, I was not allowed to purchase tickets for the morning train unless I was flying out that day. I wasn't required to use their flight services, but was asked to input my flights, etc. Yes, I could have told a bit of a lie and gotten tickets, but chose not to.

If you get blocked by a system that will not proceed unless a certain response is given, then simply lie. No harm.

I routinely have the same experience when shopping at my local warehouse club and using self check-out. The system asks if I have scanned "everything under my cart." I don't put anything under the cart, so the truthful answer is "no." The club staff told me that I am supposed to lie, and respond "yes," so that I can trick the system and get the system to work. Many other similar experiences as well. The problem is that there computer system programmers who think they are "helping" by forcing customers to respond in a certain manner. If there is no harm then just use a work-around to get past.