No More MDR Reservations on Ocean

GregoryPaul

At least that is what I was told today. Am I the last one to hear this (as I am with a lot of things).

We’ve got an Explorer Suite on a cruise leaving September 3 so today was supposed to be “the day” for me to make them.

I’m good with whatever works best but my 88 yo in-laws aren’t up for a lot of line standing.

Hope it all works out OK

6 minutes ago, GregoryPaul said:

At least that is what I was told today. Am I the last one to hear this (as I am with a lot of things).

We’ve got an Explorer Suite on a cruise leaving September 3 so today was supposed to be “the day” for me to make them.

I’m good with whatever works best but my 88 yo in-laws aren’t up for a lot of line standing.

Hope it all works out OK

With the first Welcome Back cruises in July 2021 we made main dining room reservations but they were not needed.  They only time I ever saw a long line was on our TA last Fall.  People would begin lining up at 5:30 for the 6:00 pm opening.  We went elsewhere or waited to go after 6 pm on that cruise.  Other then that we never waited very long to be seated.  And if there is a brief wait, there are chairs and sofas to sit on.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GregoryPaul said:

Hope it all works out OK

Shouldn't be a problem. Try to avoid the most popular times, the wait staff can advise. If there is a line or wait there is a small seating area next to the door. 

I also have a August cruise and noticed the Reservation capability is gone for the main restaurant.  However,  I have in my calendar,  reservations for 6:30pm for the whole cruise, made prior to the change of eliminating reservations for the main restaurant.

So, when my slot opens up to make Speciality Reservations will I have a double booking conflict ?  There appears no way to cancel a main reservation.  I know I am over thinking this.  

Here is Vikings response to my above question. (using Chat this morning)

To cancel or remove dining reservations, visit the "Calendar" tab on My Viking Journey. Choose the day that you need something cancelled, and click the box at the correct time slot.
Once the correct dining reservation is on the screen, click "Cancel Reservation".

31 minutes ago, ohiojohn said:

To cancel or remove dining reservations, visit the "Calendar" tab on My Viking Journey. Choose the day that you need something cancelled, and click the box at the correct time slot.
Once the correct dining reservation is on the screen, click "Cancel Reservation".

Yep, that’s how it’s done. Glad you got it figured out. You don’t need reservations for the MDR anyway, so might as well cancel all of them so as not to interfere with the alternative restaurant reservations you make coming up, as you said.

We hold numerous MDR reservations for a July Homelands cruise.   Would you recommend we cancel or not?   I assume they are not checking/honoring existing reservations now.  Is the only downside a possible conflict with specialty restaurants?   If so, we can cancel as needed.

2 hours ago, ohiojohn said:

I also had already booked the same time every evening, but realized that it would conflict with a shore excursion we were interest in. I tried exactly the procedure you've quoted and there was no option to either book OR cancel. I finally online chatted with someone and had them cancel all the bookings.

9 minutes ago, burnabyjean said:

I also had already booked the same time every evening, but realized that it would conflict with a shore excursion we were interest in. I tried exactly the procedure you've quoted and there was no option to either book OR cancel. I finally online chatted with someone and had them cancel all the bookings.

Agree with you, that was my same experience after I received the procedure from the Chat function.  There was no pop up link to cancel under the calendar function for my main dinning reservation.  Well at least we know the Chat function can cancel our reservations for dinning in the main restaurant.

15 hours ago, ohiojohn said:

I also have a August cruise and noticed the Reservation capability is gone for the main restaurant.  However,  I have in my calendar,  reservations for 6:30pm for the whole cruise, made prior to the change of eliminating reservations for the main restaurant.

So, when my slot opens up to make Speciality Reservations will I have a double booking conflict ?  There appears no way to cancel a main reservation.  I know I am over thinking this.  

So good to see your post!  Where are you going on your August Viking Cruise?

What ship?  You will love Viking .  We are going again in 2023  doing the Scenic Scandinavia. Enjoy the  alternative restaurants, we loved them both. 

Cheer!

Patti 

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

So good to see your post!  Where are you going on your August Viking Cruise?

What ship?  You will love Viking .  We are going again in 2023  doing the Scenic Scandinavia. Enjoy the  alternative restaurants, we loved them both. 

Cheer!

Patti 

I responded by email

• Like 1

On our last cruise we pre-booked restaurant slots (although probably unnecessary anyway as we prefer to eat 7.30/8.00 which apparently is not a popular time) , but didn’t delete them when we found out they not needed (advised by Guest Services you didn’t have to delete) We got some extra Manfredi’s & Chef’s Table bookings once onboard and both reservations showed on the Viking Voyager App and didn’t cause any scheduling conflicts. 

Edited by JollyJacqTar

On 5/30/2022 at 5:17 AM, JollyJacqTar said:

On our last cruise we pre-booked restaurant slots (although probably unnecessary anyway as we prefer to eat 7.30/8.00 which apparently is not a popular time) , but didn’t delete them when we found out they not needed (advised by Guest Services you didn’t have to delete) We got some extra Manfredi’s & Chef’s Table bookings once onboard and both reservations showed on the Viking Voyager App and didn’t cause any scheduling conflicts. 

My son and daughter in law are cruising on Viking Venus next month and were very disappointed that they could not book a specialty restaurant (I think Manfredi's) for her 30th birthday.  Do you think it will be easier for them to book something when they embark?

1 hour ago, lovestx said:

My son and daughter in law are cruising on Viking Venus next month and were very disappointed that they could not book a specialty restaurant (I think Manfredi's) for her 30th birthday.  Do you think it will be easier for them to book something when they embark?

They should go to the dining reservations desk (I think it's on deck 2 but could be deck 1) as soon as they board. If nothing is available at Manfredi's or Chef Table, they can still have a wonderful celebration in the main dining room (the Restaurant).  We thought the Restaurant was as good as, and sometimes better than, the specialty restaurants. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 3:07 PM, lovestx said:

Sorry I didn’t see your post before. I’m sure they’ll be able to book on board particularly if they aren’t worried about the time. There is a dedicated restaurant reservations desk in the guest services area. If they say it’s a celebration they almost certainly will be accommodated. We booked one time and the only time they had “officially” was 6 p.m. and we said we would prefer to to go later. They booked us into the 6 p.m. slot but said it wouldn’t be a problem to go at 7.30 and just to turn up then, and sure enough it was fine. Hope it works out and your DIL has a lovely birthday 🥳 P.S. Discussed my post with Husband who said that there was definitely much more availability in the speciality restaurants once we got on board and we managed to book up several more times via the Viking Voyager app or on the Cabin Telly (he’s in charge of holiday admin 😀)

Edited by JollyJacqTar
Added P.S.

I second the advice to use the app or the TV screen before waiting in what is likely to be a line on embarkation day at the reservation station. If you have no luck with the app or the TV then maybe it’s worth standing in line.  

If that doesn’t work, we’ve always had good luck by turning up at the maitre d’s podium and nicely asking if they have any cancelations or ability to seat us. If they don’t have it immediately or within 30 minutes, they have always made accommodations on the following evening. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Clay and JollyJacqTar.  This news will be music to my daughter in law's ears.  She was so disappointed not to get the specialty dining reservation for her birthday and no spa appointments either.  While our son has been on several cruises, his wife has not so it's a whole new world of planning for her!!

• Like 2