Live from Pacific Explorer - 31st May - Australia is Cruising Again

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

arxcards was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Just starting this a little bit early, as we are travelling to Sydney in the morning for a pre-cruise afternoon followed by the lights of Vivid.

Ā 

We booked this cruise on 16th March, soon after it was announced, but it feels like it was a year ago. There was still a lot of "what ifs" around the covid protocols, but we just knew we wanted to be aboard. Two new apps were added to my phone, and it has been fun to navigate a new way of managing our booking. At this stage, we have a "Ready to Cruise" status on the app, and we just need to successfully negotiate our RATs and health survey on Monday to be considered as passengers on this cruise.

Ā 

I mostly plan to share what is new about the return to cruising. Pacific Explorer is nothing new to Australia. She has been based here since late 2008, initially as Dawn Princess. We have previously cruised on her four times, twice as Pacific Explorer. Our previous cruise prior to the 26 month cruise ban was on this ship for her Australia Day cruise in January 2020.

Ā 

Some of the changes are already known. The current protocols around vaccinations and covid testing are detailed on P&O's site, and some updated restaurant & drink menus have been recently added. There are some minor price increases, but nothing major considering the previous menus are more than two years old. The Luke's Burgers area on deck 14 has been enclosed in glass, now offering the burger menu through the day, and an a la carte Luke Mangan Salt Grill menu for dinner.

The Captain is Kevin Boag

The Cruise Director is Julie McEwen

Ā 

There has been a lot of fanfare about this cruise. There will no doubt be other accounts of this on social media. but I am proud to say that we pay for our cruises. As I am not into selfie sticks and not worried about biting the hand that feeds, I will let you know what is awesome, but also share any shortcomings.

Ā 

Above all else, we are on our first holiday in over two years, so it is a break we need. I guess I better start packing.

Ā 

Tomorrow - RAT result, maybe a pic or two of our hotel room, and a bit of Vivid. As much as I would love to post a live RAT, I don't think I could handle the pressure.

Edited by arxcards
Great start, can't spell
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 8

Looking forward to your posts.

That's interesting about Luke's, my husband told me that Salt Grill was onboard and I thought he was getting it mixed up with Luke's burgers which was the only Luke's food available when I was last on the ship, or it had replaced Shell and Bone.

Anyway I will have to try out the night time dining under the stars on the pool deck.

Ā 

Have a great cruise!

Ā 

• Like 3

How are you getting to white Bay?Ā  I know captain Cook used to run the ferry but can't find anything online about if they are still running it.Ā  Ā Might have to call them tomorrow, but just checking to see what you think the best option is (I.e.Ā  Uber etc)Ā 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GreenMeeple said:

How are you getting to white Bay?Ā  I know captain Cook used to run the ferry but can't find anything online about if they are still running it.Ā  Ā Might have to call them tomorrow, but just checking to see what you think the best option is (I.e.Ā  Uber etc)Ā 

I am pretty sure Captain Cook Cruises no longer runs to White Bay. I didn't think it was a very good service anyway - wait for the next ferry, then pull your luggage several hundred metres over uneven paving. A taxi or Uber is better in my opinion.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Just starting this a little bit early, as we are travelling to Sydney in the morning for a pre-cruise afternoon followed by the lights of Vivid.

Ā 

We booked this cruise on 16th March, soon after it was announced, but it feels like it was a year ago. There was still a lot of "what ifs" around the covid protocols, but we just knew we wanted to be aboard. Two new apps were added to my phone, and it has been fun to navigate a new way of managing our booking. At this stage, we have a "Ready to Cruise" status on the app, and we just need to successfully negotiate our RATs and health survey on Monday to be considered as passengers on this cruise.

Ā 

I mostly plan to share what is new about the return to cruising. Pacific Explorer is nothing new to Australia. She has been based here since late 2008, initially as Dawn Princess. We have previously cruised on her four times, twice as Pacific Explorer. Our previous cruise prior to the 26 month cruise ban was on this ship for her Australia Day cruise in January 2020.

Ā 

Some of the changes are already known. The current protocols around vaccinations and covid testing are detailed on P&O's site, and some updated restaurant & drink menus have been recently added. There are some minor price increases, but nothing major considering the previous menus are more than two years old. The Luke's Burgers area on deck 14 has been enclosed in glass, now offering the burger menu through the day, and an a la carte Luke Mangan Salt Grill menu for dinner.

Ā 

There has been a lot of fanfare about this cruise. There will no doubt be other accounts of this on social media. but I am proud to say that we pay for our cruises. As I am not into selfie sticks and not worried about biting the hand that feeds, I will let you know what is awesome, but also share any shortcomings.

Ā 

Above all else, we are on our first holiday in over two years, so it is a break we need. I guess I better start packing.

Ā 

Tomorrow - RAT result, maybe a pic or two of our hotel room, and a bit of Vivid. As much as I would love to post a live RAT, I don't think I could handle the pressure.

Look forward to following along eagerly. Our first ever cruise was on the Dawn Princess for Christmas 2011 and it absolutely got us hooked on cruising. We so loved everything especially the whole Christmas onboard celebrations. Even though P & O took her over, we still felt immense pride as she sailed into Sydney in April.

Ā 

I am sure most of the protocol items will be the same no matter what ship, as they are set by the governments and the ships just follow the rules so looking forward to lots of info this week. All the best for your long awaited holidayĀ  .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

C'mon Arxcards, you can do it, do your RAT live! Someones got to lead the way hahahahahah

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, GreenMeeple said:

Cab from our hotel.

Even if Captain Cook is running, it was too inconvenient for my liking. I think they had relocated the service to operate from Darling Harbour, and there is a pretty fair walk to the cruise terminal from their dock at White Bay.

• Like 4

Have a great cruise Geoff and Barb! Look forward to hearing all the good and bad....hopefully all good.

Called in to see a travel buddy on your cruise yesterday, won't mention names but we were at the Maitland Caravan showšŸ˜‰

Left her to finish packingšŸ˜¢.

I know there is a big group of old CCers with you onboard, so hope you all have a fab time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have half packed .

Ā 

Just waiting for the Rat to be done tomorrow, never been this nervous about getting on aĀ  cruise before .

We will catch the train to Central and Uber or taxi to White Bay (our check in time isnt till 1pm)

Ā 

We will be up top for Sailaway, cant wait to sail under the bridgeĀ 

Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

Tanya & KevinĀ Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, stki said:

I have half packed .

Ā 

Just waiting for the Rat to be done tomorrow, never been this nervous about getting on aĀ  cruise before .

We will catch the train to Central and Uber or taxi to White Bay (our check in time isnt till 1pm)

Ā 

Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

Tanya & KevinĀ Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Great. It will be a relief for sure to get that negative result. I have to say Iā€™m feeling extra nervous that we doing B2B for first time and have four doses of nervousness to contend with šŸ˜©šŸ˜©šŸ˜©

27 minutes ago, stki said:

I have half packed .

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

Tanya & KevinĀ Ā 

Happy cruising Tanya and Kevin, good luck with the RATs, I can imagine its nerve racking.

We just spent the weekend in Newcastle, hotel, dinner out etc. First time in 2 years we have done that!! Been staying safe for weekends in our caravan with shower/toilet etc!

Enjoy going under the bridge, its a rarety now with the larger ships we have.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

16 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

How much šŸ„ƒ are you going to smuggle on?

Ā 

I don't think you should ask that question. I don't believe they will be trying to smuggle anything on that they shouldn't. Anyway, it would be difficult with P&O.

15 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

How much šŸ„ƒ are you going to smuggle on?

Ā 

We have plenty of OBC, so not inclined to smuggle anything aboard.Ā 

1 hour ago, cheznandy said:

Have a great cruise Geoff and Barb! Look forward to hearing all the good and bad....hopefully all good.

Called in to see a travel buddy on your cruise yesterday, won't mention names but we were at the Maitland Caravan showšŸ˜‰

Left her to finish packingšŸ˜¢.

I know there is a big group of old CCers with you onboard, so hope you all have a fab time!

Thanks Chez,

It will be fun regardless. I will keep an eye out for your cruise buddy tip. I am not sure we will ever become old farts in caravan parksĀ šŸ˜

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

We have plenty of OBC, so not inclined to smuggle anything aboard.Ā 

Thanks Chez,

It will be fun regardless. I will keep an eye out for your cruise buddy tip. I am not sure we will ever become old farts in caravan parksĀ šŸ˜

Haha! Thankfully we are not old farts yet.....and never do caravan parks.

Have a fab time and enjoy the OBC!!

• Haha 1

Another given is P&O's internet. The signal is solid, but they aren't offering an all-of-cruise package to be pre-purchased like they used to. I think it was $49 for 250mb, which doesn't allow for many pictures to be uploaded. Unless I can get an unlimited package aboard, I am unlikely to post on the sea days.

Ā 

I can't see package details in the app at the moment, as it opens to the pending health screen only. Something to bear in mind for other upcoming cruises - unless they modify it, you cant do anything with your booking between 72hrs and 24hrs while you have a pending RAT result to enter.

Ā 

• Like 1

I can't wait to start the party on Tuesday. I am slack so won't pack until Monday night. I counted the numbers of days between cruises for me - 822 to be exact (last one was Ovation in Feb 20).

Ā 

Best part of sailaway for me will be the ships whistle going - how I have missed that sound.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

I can't wait to start the party on Tuesday. I am slack so won't pack until Monday night. I counted the numbers of days between cruises for me - 822 to be exact (last one was Ovation in Feb 20).

Ā 

Best part of sailaway for me will be the ships whistle going - how I have missed that sound.

Just watched the news , polar blast on it's way pack winter woollies ā„ā˜ƒļøā„

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/polar-air-blast-to-sweep-through-most-states-bringing-freezing-start-to-winter/news-story/d6616f1942c19b7c278acf8ea592eb43

RAT testing is a bit like a hurdles race- each hurdle can bring you to a grinding halt . My son was in Germany for several years ( didn't catch Covid ) and went to LondonĀ  and caught Covid - had to get a negative Rat to get on the plane to Brisbane ( on his way to Japan for work) that took 2 weeksĀ  -then had to get a Negative RAT on arrival in Brisbane - then another RAT to get on the plane to Japan and then another on arrival. He is now in Japan - a nervous wreck!! šŸ™‚Ā 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Ā 

I could say I am being equally slack, except I think I pack better at the last minute. Only done today, as we are kicking out in the morning. Just waiting for a couple of electronic bits to charge, and we will be all done.

Ā 

Yep, that booming sound under the bridge will be one of many highlights.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

No shorts packed, no swimmers packed. We have packed for cold weather, although air-conditioned comfort inside.

• Like 1