QM2 questions on QG

Jacqueline

I never expected to book a Queens Grill cabin,  but it was $250 more a night than the already well priced PG.

What are the table sizes?  It seems like they are not tailored for this dining room on the personalizer (shocking).  As much as my husband we enjoy sharing a table with others, despite the  awkwardness that I found in the PG where table mates show up at all different times. Over the years we have had a lot of fun. Also, do people ever meet new friends and dine with them? I will say that is a nice feature on other cruise lines.

Last time I was on the QM2 was a back to back transatlantic one way in grills, the other way in Brittania. When we ran into our table mate who did both ways in grills, he told us that his new table mates didn’t seem to know the unspoken rule regarding politics at the dinner table.

Interesting comment. I know I don’t go on vacation to get aggravated.

You should be able to select table size as reported in this post. Tables are allocated for the whole voyage so it's difficult to arrange to dine with others.

On our last QG trip (only 2 nights) we requested a table of 6 & got one for 2. There was obviously some shuffling around as our table had moved next to the window by dinner after being in the middle at lunchtime !

28 minutes ago, Jacqueline said:

I never expected to book a Queens Grill cabin,  but it was $250 more a night than the already well priced PG.

What are the table sizes?  It seems like they are not tailored for this dining room on the personalizer (shocking).  As much as my husband we enjoy sharing a table with others, despite the  awkwardness that I found in the PG where table mates show up at all different times. Over the years we have had a lot of fun. Also, do people ever meet new friends and dine with them? I will say that is a nice feature on other cruise lines.

Last time I was on the QM2 was a back to back transatlantic one way in grills, the other way in Brittania. When we ran into our table mate who did both ways in grills, he told us that his new table mates didn’t seem to know the unspoken rule regarding politics at the dinner table.

Interesting comment. I know I don’t go on vacation to get aggravated.

You will get the table size you ask for, with one proviso. If you want to be on a table for 8, it will be arranged, so long as there are enough others who want the same. There is a big table in the entrance of the QG, and in April, there were only five on it. Two people hadn't shown (Covid?) and no others could be persuaded to join.

Edited by exlondoner

16 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

You should be able to select table size as reported in this post. Tables are allocated for the whole voyage so it's difficult to arrange to dine with others.

On our last QG trip (only 2 nights) we requested a table of 6 & got one for 2. There was obviously some shuffling around as our table had moved next to the window by dinner after being in the middle at lunchtime !

Lucky old you. 😀

• Haha 1

As a seasoned QGriller, it is possible to move tables either for a meal or permanently. We've had a dinner with someone that I met on this site as two people on their table were dining elsewhere so we moved for the night.

Over the years (and 25+ trips) we've met dozens of people and are still in contact with a great many.

We also have at least one cocktail party on board. Your butler will help you organise that if you wish. You will be able to invite all your new friends.

Good information here.  Heading out on QM2 on Sunday.  My husband and I are going all the way to Hamburg.  My father (traveling as a single) is disembarking in SOU.  Cunard will not "link" our reservations because we are on different itineraries.  I have called three times about dining in QG and they say it is in the "notes" to put us together at one table.  I hope (and assume) that it will be done and that if there is a problem, they will correct the situation.

On another note, if you are in QG, do you still need to purchase a drinks package or are certain drinks in the public spaces included with your fare?

43 minutes ago, Mickb said:

A gratuity to the Maitre d’ upon embarkation will ensure you get what you want!

The M'd will do his best for all his passengers. The bribe, for that's what it is, isn't necessary.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

They are included in the restaurant and the Grill lounge

What are the drinks included on a QG booking and what are the ones on a Britannia booking? 

I mean in the bars, not in the restaurant. 

8 hours ago, thumbun said:

Good information here.  Heading out on QM2 on Sunday.  My husband and I are going all the way to Hamburg.  My father (traveling as a single) is disembarking in SOU.  Cunard will not "link" our reservations because we are on different itineraries.  I have called three times about dining in QG and they say it is in the "notes" to put us together at one table.  I hope (and assume) that it will be done and that if there is a problem, they will correct the situation.

On another note, if you are in QG, do you still need to purchase a drinks package or are certain drinks in the public spaces included with your fare?

Is your father also booked Queens Grill. It is Cunard's policy that passengers may dine "down" but not "up" Ie. If your father is not Queens Grill then you may join him in his designated dining room but he may not join you in Queens Grill.

7 hours ago, Alslc said:

What are the drinks included on a QG booking and what are the ones on a Britannia booking? 

I mean in the bars, not in the restaurant. 

None unless you have a drinks package as part of your booking.

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

None unless you have a drinks package as part of your booking.

Ah got it ! Sorry I misread the thread. So in the Grills Lounge nothing at all is for free ? I remember I read somewhere at least tea and coffee were free

6 minutes ago, Alslc said:

Ah got it ! Sorry I misread the thread. So in the Grills Lounge nothing at all is for free ? I remember I read somewhere at least tea and coffee were free

They are, that was the question I was answering in the reply you quoted !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

They are, that was the question I was answering in the reply you quoted !

Thank you! So as far as I understand tea and coffee are free for everyone in the Lido/Britannia Restaurant and for Grills passengers in the Grills lounge and the Lido (of course also in the restaurant). Besides tea and coffee is there any other drink included ?

7 minutes ago, Alslc said:

Thank you! So as far as I understand tea and coffee are free for everyone in the Lido/Britannia Restaurant and for Grills passengers in the Grills lounge and the Lido (of course also in the restaurant). Besides tea and coffee is there any other drink included ?

I think there may be orange juice in the Lido.

• Like 1

I don’t drink alcohol but I see that they carry fevertree mixers which I love.

Do we tell them in advance how to stock the bar? 
Also, what would we use a butler for? 
Also, do all QG get priority tender?

Thanks everyone!

Q1 to Q4 get priority tender. 

Tell them what you want in the bar when you see your butler for the first time.

Think of the Butler as a steward. Allegedly, they will do things like unpack for you, but I can't think of anything worse. I've heard of them helping people,with their bow ties, but generally I've never had them do anything much. If you have dinner in your cabin they will serve it.