eMed BinaxNOW Proctored Tests

yogagal47

Yes or no? Has anyone presented them for boarding? We’re used them for Royal Caribbean and for travel to and from Iceland,Italy, and Costa Rica. Thought I saw this on AZ Board BUT NOW CANNOT find it.

thanks for input 

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to eMed BinaxNOW Proctored Tests

We used them for boarding our current cruise in Ravenna.  For whatever reason the audio wouldn't work in the app on my android phone, so we ended up using my laptop for the testing.  Definitely something where you want a quiet hotel room and a flat table/desk when you do the test.  Something to help prop the camera in position helps as well.  

• Like 3

I haven’t used mine, but I placed an order for (6) BinaxNow tests after seeing them recommended on “The Points Guy” and the “United Airline” site. Cost $170 with express shipping, received the next day. Technically the tests are $25 each but my insurer (Cigna) let me submit the form for reimbursement, so my cost will be $0.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/at-home-covid-testing-travel/

I like the idea that I am in complete control, and will manage everything from our hotel room. If something doesn’t work, we still can get tested in a traditional manner.

• Like 2

We used the eMed Binax Proctored Test to board the Quest in Barcelona May 26th. We used our hotel Wi-Fi with our phone in our hotel room.

Do not rely on port Wi-Fi to pull up an email with test results. Download or have a screen shot of your negative test. If you are able, print it out.

• Like 1

We boarded yesterday with the emed results on our cell phone and had no issue at all.  We took the test with our cell phones, it was easy.  We just screen shotted the lab results that came into our email as a PDF attachment and showed the photo to the person checking us in.  No issues at all.   

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 3:23 AM, Pirokp2 said:

We read on this board that they worked fine.  We are boarding the Pursuit this afternoon with them.  I will post after we board and let you know if we had any issue.  

Thanks so much!

8 hours ago, scrapcreator said:

We used the eMed Binax Proctored Test to board the Quest in Barcelona May 26th. We used our hotel Wi-Fi with our phone in our hotel room.

Do not rely on port Wi-Fi to pull up an email with test results. Download or have a screen shot of your negative test. If you are able, print it out.

The Navica app stores your results and you also get an email-I'll be overnighting at Hotel Alex at Piraeus so perhaps they can print it  for me

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

The Navica app stores your results and you also get an email-I'll be overnighting at Hotel Alex at Piraeus so perhaps they can print it  for me

I will also be embarking in Athens and using the Binax tests. Will you let us know how it goes?

Thanks Kevin

I just received a set of six Binax proctored tests to use for a three generation visit to Paris and Rome in July/August and an October cruise Athens to Ravenna.  The boxes, which we are not allowed to open until so instructed, are rather large.  The six test boxes filled a 12"x12"x6" carton!  For those of us who pack light and use roll-a-boards this item will have an impact.  Plan accordingly!

On 6/1/2022 at 3:14 PM, yogagal47 said:

We stayed in The Alex last September whilst on our land tour of Greece. We had to do Lateral Flow tests for our return to the UK which the receptionist kindly printed out for us when we received the email results from our test provider (Chronomics). 

We are staying again at The Alex prior to joining the Journey in 3 weeks time and will be doing our pre boarding LFT there. 

• Like 1

I just clarified accepted Covid testing procedures with Azamara. In relation to a medically supervised Antigen Covid test by skype/video call prior to cruise, this method is not accepted by Azamara. Both customer service agent and supervisor told me that proctored video test unacceptable as swabbing was not physically completed by a medical professional. Azamara deem them to be self tests. Pretty disappointing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emerald6273 said:

I just clarified accepted Covid testing procedures with Azamara. In relation to a medically supervised Antigen Covid test by skype/video call prior to cruise, this method is not accepted by Azamara. Both customer service agent and supervisor told me that proctored video test unacceptable as swabbing was not physically completed by a medical professional. Azamara deem them to be self tests. Pretty disappointing. 

This is not what most people have shared, plus this type of test is also acceptable for flying back into the USA. I’m not worried about it…unless I get something from Azamara in writing this is what I am using….already purchased.

Jeep61,

One benefit of the space these take up, is we will have a minimum of 12” x 12” x 6” of space for souvenirs. 😉 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, emerald6273 said:

Pretty odd since others on this board are saying they used the tests. I would say some of the folks in Customer service are not well informed about the wide acceptance of these tests. The fact is that "swabbing" in many places in Mexico and Dominican Republic is a joke as tourist NEVER test positive. these countries to not want the bad publicity. Many of the testers do not properly insert the swabs as well.

I will show up with my test results in hand and show them the evidence on these boards proving the tests have been accepted by Azamara. If they give me a hard time I'll insist they pay for the testing at the pier.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 11:31 PM, Pirokp2 said:

We boarded yesterday with the emed results on our cell phone and had no issue at all.  We took the test with our cell phones, it was easy.  We just screen shotted the lab results that came into our email as a PDF attachment and showed the photo to the person checking us in.  No issues at all.   

Just to clarify:  did you board  an Azamara ship and if so, which one? Thanks!

5 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

Just to clarify:  did you board  an Azamara ship and if so, which one? Thanks!

Yes, 5/31 Barcelona, The Pursuit.   EMed results only digital on my phone.  We screen shotted the lab results that were sent to us by email.  You could also show results from the app too if you wanted.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, emerald6273 said:

I’ve had tests at cvs pharmacy before where they had me do my own swabbing.  I’m no medical professional.  It’s no different than the these.

Edited by laurieb
  • Like 2

I think people are losing sight of the fact Azamara are specifically saying a non clinic home test isn't acceptable.

Whilst I understand those at the port may not be checking too thoroughly and people have got lucky, it is a gamble none the less. There have been examples where they have been rejected.

Personally I wouldn't chance it, but the good thing, there is a fall back with Azamara if it's spotted. With that in mind, the gamble is just coughing up again, not missing embarkation.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 8:51 AM, les37b said:

I think people are losing sight of the fact Azamara are specifically saying a non clinic home test isn't acceptable.

Whilst I understand those at the port may not be checking too thoroughly and people have got lucky, it is a gamble none the less. There have been examples where they have been rejected.

Personally I wouldn't chance it, but the good thing, there is a fall back with Azamara if it's spotted. With that in mind, the gamble is just coughing up again, not missing embarkation.

I’m going to take them at their word haven’t received this in an email yesterday:

As long as the test is by a licensed testing agency and provides a certificate for results, it will be accepted. 

Sincerely, 

Kayla
Azamara
Wichita, Kansas Sales and Service Center

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

I’m going to take them at their word haven’t received this in an email yesterday:

As long as the test is by a licensed testing agency and provides a certificate for results, it will be accepted. 

Sincerely, 

Kayla
Azamara
Wichita, Kansas Sales and Service Center

Well done on getting that.

I was going to post the text from the test requirements shown in checking in where it listed the valid test types and said all home tests were invalid and only clinic attended tests with an issued certificate valid..... But they have changed the wording and removed those specifics. I'm certain the actual text has been posted on here at some point, but not an issue... Seems all tests with a certificate are fair game now.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 7:50 PM, Azamarajunkie said:

We stayed in The Alex last September whilst on our land tour of Greece. We had to do Lateral Flow tests for our return to the UK which the receptionist kindly printed out for us when we received the email results from our test provider (Chronomics). 

We are staying again at The Alex prior to joining the Journey in 3 weeks time and will be doing our pre boarding LFT there. 

Unfortunately I have read a report elsewhere that the Chronomics results were not accepted by Azamara at the weekend and guests were made to pay the $59 at the port (Athens) for a retest.  This inconsistency is getting beyond a joke!

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

I am on the Iceland cruise in August. This is my first Azamara cruise and I am already in process of considering a back to back for next year;  Azamara, Oceana and Celebrity being the lines considered. I have been following the different cruise lines on the forums and while most sailing Azamara have generally been pleased the back office needs to get their game up as communications with their customers seems to be horrible when compared to their competition. I am in a service business myself and my business today is 90% repeat and referrals. I suspect the cruise business is not much different. I hope someone from Azamara and  their owner, Sycamore Partners sees this and takes it seriously. 

• Like 2