I need Wifi Help - One wifi plan, 2 devices

cruzin4us

I'm really almost too embarrassed to ask but I am technically challenged big time.   Please explain this to me like you are talking to your 6 year old.....no scratch that.....like you are talking to a 2 year old or your 85 year old grandparents.    

I have an iPhone 13 pro max and a MacBook Pro Laptop.   I have 1 free wifi connection (Princess Plus).    Since I want to do a "Live" thread, I need my laptop because it's much faster typing with my fat fingers.   

So, beginning with step one.....assuming my iPhone is connected to Wifi, how do I switch it to the MacBook Pro?

Thank you!

• Like 1

On any device connected to MedallionNet Wifi, you can navigate to logout.com in your browser to get to the Internet connection "home" page. From there, you can switch devices.

Note that the Medallion Class app does not need to be connected to the Internet to access the ship-based functions. So, you can leave your laptop connected to the Internet and your smart phone can still be used to order drinks, make reservations, check the schedule, etc. provided it stays connected to ship's WiFi.

In this way, you can keep multiple devices connected to ship's Wifi, but choose which device connects to the Internet at any given time.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bubbaed said:

On any device connected to MedallionNet Wifi, you can navigate to logout.com in your browser to get to the Internet connection "home" page. From there, you can switch devices.

Note that the Medallion Class app does not need to be connected to the Internet to access the ship-based functions. So, you can leave your laptop connected to the Internet and your smart phone can still be used to order drinks, make reservations, check the schedule, etc. provided it stays connected to ship's WiFi.

In this way, you can keep multiple devices connected to ship's Wifi, but choose which device connects to the Internet at any given time.

Bless you!!!!    That is very cool to know, I had no idea I could just connect to my MacBook and still use my phone around the ship.    I thought I had to switch back and forth.

Really appreciate the explanation.   thank you!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bubbaed said:

This is one of the simplest and most practical solutions.

Sign in with your laptop for your Live, emails, and surfing the net.

If you "accidentally" log on to the internet with your phone, it will automatically disconnect your computer.  

Use your phone for all other Medallion function. Ordering, opening your door, crew chat, useless Journey View. Ask a Medallion person (usually near the Photograph area) to add Ocean Concierge to your phone for easier browsing of stateroom account and "patter".

PS....set up a folder on your desktop for photos.  You will have to log on to the internet with your phone to send photos to the laptop.   OR...OR...Enter what you want with your computer, then sign out/sign in with your phone to upload photos.  This will be your biggest challenge (uploading photos).

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU @cruzin4us for asking this!  I am so COMPLETELY non-technically fluent (is that even a sentence???).

So here's my "iPhone for dummies" question - I don't log onto the internet on my phone.  It just logs on itself.  I realize its my data plan or wifi access that makes this happen.  So how do I NOT have this happen while we are on the ship?  So that I am only using the App function and nothing else?

Oh, and while you're explaining things to me, does What's App work without your data being turned on?

See - "not technically fluent".  Told ya! 🙂 

5 minutes ago, High C's said:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU @cruzin4us for asking this!  I am so COMPLETELY non-technically fluent (is that even a sentence???).

So here's my "iPhone for dummies" question - I don't log onto the internet on my phone.  It just logs on itself.  I realize its my data plan or wifi access that makes this happen.  So how do I NOT have this happen while we are on the ship?  So that I am only using the App function and nothing else?

Oh, and while you're explaining things to me, does What's App work without your data being turned on?

glad you asked those questions.....I'd sure like to know too 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If you "accidentally" log on to the internet with your phone, it will automatically disconnect your computer.  

Use your phone for all other Medallion function. Ordering, opening your door, crew chat, useless Journey View. Ask a Medallion person (usually near the Photograph area) to add Ocean Concierge to your phone for easier browsing of stateroom account and "patter".

PS....set up a folder on your desktop for photos.  You will have to log on to the internet with your phone to send photos to the laptop.   OR...OR...Enter what you want with your computer, then sign out/sign in with your phone to upload photos.  This will be your biggest challenge (uploading photos).

You are right the pictures are the problem.    I was too lazy (or too stupid) to try and figure it out on my last cruise so I just broke down and bought an additional wifi pkg.    You guys always make it sound so easy!

@High C's  If you want to use the internet to surf or pick up emails, you will have to connect to the Medallion Wi-Fi.  

First thing you do is turn on Airplane Mode to make sure your current plan is disabled while on the ship (turn it back on when you are on shore/according to your carrier plan).

You will have to purchase a device plan if you want to do anything involving the internet.

Medallion class works off of the INTRAnet (internal ship internet).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, High C's said:

Your phone will automatically connect to available WiFi networks, especially if you've connected to one before (like MedallionNet). However, simply connecting to WiFi does not mean your phone is connected to the Internet. That's why you have to enter your credentials (stateroom, DOB) to access the Internet. To keep it from accessing the Internet (to only access the ship's WiFi and App functions) go to logout.com and "disconnect" from Internet. But as long as your phone stays connected to ship's WiFi (and in airplane mode) you can still use the app since those features are local to the ship, not the Web.

A few notes: "Internet" is connecting to the WEB. "Intranet" is connecting only to ship's services. They are different. The Medallion App uses the INTRANET while Safari, email, WhatsApp, YouTube, etc. need INTERNET access. You can continue to use the Medallion app functions while connected to ship's WiFi, but you don't need to connect to the Internet unless you need access to off-ship data.

Fun fact: some SMS-based notification services (like WhatsApp, email notifications, and Ring notifications) will still get through for a period of time even though you disconnected from the Internet. This is likely due to delayed deactivation of SMS packets on the ship's WiFi routers. This can be frustrating since you'll see a notification pop up (comes via SMS) but when you go to check, you can't connect since you've disconnected from the internet.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@High C's  If you want to use the internet to surf or pick up emails, you will have to connect to the Medallion Wi-Fi.  

First thing you do is turn on Airplane Mode to make sure your current plan is disabled while on the ship (turn it back on when you are on shore/according to your carrier plan).

You will have to purchase a device plan if you want to do anything involving the internet.

Medallion class works off of the INTRAnet (internal ship internet).

But with the "Princess Plus" package, I don't have to purchase internet minutes for ONE device, correct?  And this isn't limited in terms of minutes?  (this is my first "medallion" cruise, indeed my first cruise since Covid.  I'm used to the old 250 minutes free plan we would get!)

7 hours ago, bubbaed said:

Your phone will automatically connect to available WiFi networks, especially if you've connected to one before (like MedallionNet). However, simply connecting to WiFi does not mean your phone is connected to the Internet. That's why you have to enter your credentials (stateroom, DOB) to access the Internet. To keep it from accessing the Internet (to only access the ship's WiFi and App functions) go to logout.com and "disconnect" from Internet. But as long as your phone stays connected to ship's WiFi (and in airplane mode) you can still use the app since those features are local to the ship, not the Web.

A few notes: "Internet" is connecting to the WEB. "Intranet" is connecting only to ship's services. They are different. The Medallion App uses the INTRANET while Safari, email, WhatsApp, YouTube, etc. need INTERNET access. You can continue to use the Medallion app functions while connected to ship's WiFi, but you don't need to connect to the Internet unless you need access to off-ship data.

Fun fact: some SMS-based notification services (like WhatsApp, email notifications, and Ring notifications) will still get through for a period of time even though you disconnected from the Internet. This is likely due to delayed deactivation of SMS packets on the ship's WiFi routers. This can be frustrating since you'll see a notification pop up (comes via SMS) but when you go to check, you can't connect since you've disconnected from the internet.

Thank you!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, High C's said:

But with the "Princess Plus" package, I don't have to purchase internet minutes for ONE device, correct?  And this isn't limited in terms of minutes?  (this is my first "medallion" cruise, indeed my first cruise since Covid.  I'm used to the old 250 minutes free plan we would get!)

If you have the internet on the ship, it is unlimited.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Omgoodness, this is brilliant! Thank you!!!

1 minute ago, MKKruiser said:

WOW this is all super information.  I probably will have to read it ten times for it all to stick, but so happy to know I can use both my IPad and phone but just not at the same time

To clarify: Ipad and phone for INTERnet at the same time...no.

Phone on INTRAnet for ship functions and Ipad on INTERnet for email, etc. is a YES.

8 hours ago, High C's said:

With PP you are not charged minutes. You can use more than one device for the internet....just not at the same time. You can only have one device at a time connected to the internet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moondogy said:

With PP you are not charged minutes. You can use more than one device for the internet....just not at the same time. You can only have one device at a time connected to the internet.

Just to clarify, a guest does NOT have to have either PLUS or PREMIER fare option to get unlimited internet.  Even if you are on the STANDARD fare and purchase internet package separately, it is the same package and unlimited.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 9:33 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

My question relates to photos between two devices.  How are you sending photos to your laptop or IPad (I assume that is what you meant by desktop?).  

I am wondering if your method is better than my work around.  I temporarily steal my wife’s log in, so I can have both devices internet enabled.  

Thanks

I

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

My question relates to photos between two devices.  How are you sending photos to your laptop or IPad (I assume that is what you meant by desktop?).  

I am wondering if your method is better than my work around.  I temporarily steal my wife’s log in, so I can have both devices internet enabled.  

Thanks

I usually take pictures on the iPhone and edit them.  I then send them to my email and then save them to my MacBook Pro laptop.....then I can upload them into something like Cruise Critic or FB.   That's how I've done it for years.....not sure if that's the easiest way, but that's what works for me.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:15 PM, Likes2cruise said:

With Premier Package,  you can have four devices.  I don't want to bring a laptop.  Can one of those four devices be a unit in the  Internet Cafe???  Also IC would be needed for printing.

Sure.

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Thanks

Not an expert on this.  I'm sure someone will weigh in.  In order for for you to transfer photos (aka airdrop), both devices need to be connected to the same wi-fi.  In technicality, it should work.  An example, if I am trying to airdrop something to a friend's phone, as long as we are on the same network, I should be able to do this.  

For me, it's just easier to send it from my iphone and "later" pick it up on my laptop.  Apple has started this new format....HEIC....don't know what it is, but sometimes some other formats don't like that. They prefer JPEG.  If you open it on your laptop and "export it", it will export as a JPEG.  Just have a folder on your laptop labeled trip photos.