Coco cay straw market and wheelchair

1 hour ago, traveler1255 said:

Has anyone gone to the Coco Cay Straw Market using a wheelchair or powerchair?

I don't recall if there are sidewalks to get to the "shacks", but they do have complimentary beach wheelchairs available.

Edited by Another_Critic

To visit the straw market (huts/buildings) you will need to use one of the beach wheelchairs they can provide on CocoCay.   I am not sure how quick they go but I saw several of them lined up at the tram stop near chill beach.     

The straw market is all sand the walkways go around the area but to get to each individual hut/building you will need the special beach wheelchairs.       

You may be able to reserve one by reaching out to the special needs department.     

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/guest-special-needs

The beach wheelchairs are first-come-first-served, or at least that's what we were told ... you might hear three different things from three different sources. 😉 The last time we were there, we nabbed the last one.  But I did see more available later in the day.

For what it's worth, DH says that they handle surprisingly well on the sand, but a bit less so on the pavement. 

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse

I've pushed my wife in the beach wheelchairs on Coco Cay as well and they did ok. It's definitely a bit of a workout, but the huts are on reasonably flat ground so it's not terrible.  And there's a conveniently located bar in the event you do need to rehydrate after all that work.  Have fun!

• Like 2

Just so you know, the "straw market" as such no longer exists.  

There are no locals selling their own wares.  It's all little buildings/shacks selling commercial goods (usually made in China) and manned by Royal employees (who are "local residents" [citizens of the Bahamas] but not the actual proprietors of the stores).  

If you want to purchase "authentic Bahaman goods" you'll have to do it at another port.

Edited by brillohead

My sister tried to go to the Coco cay market with her walker which was almost an impossible task in the sand… Just in case anyone is considering this. I wish they would move the market to a more convenient place especially for handicapped guests..

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 4:20 PM, Another_Critic said:

I don't recall if there are sidewalks to get to the "shacks", but they do have complimentary beach wheelchairs available.

Can the beach wheelchair be handled by the user alone or do they need someone to push?

47 minutes ago, traveler1255 said:

Can the beach wheelchair be handled by the user alone or do they need someone to push?

They have HUGE tires, so I don't think a person can roll themselves. Didn't USE one, just saw a lot of them while we fought with a Rollator 😞