Tasmania Open to Cruise Ships?

We are going to a cruise that stops in Hobart, Tasmania in December 2022 (30th), and I was reading something or some comments that said Tasmania was still closed to cruise ships?? 🤔

Anyone heard anything?

• Like 1

The last I heard was they were taking a wait and see approach, so it still may be a couple of months until they make a decision based on the Pacifc Explorer and Coral Princess cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

We are going to a cruise that stops in Hobart, Tasmania in December 2022 (30th), and I was reading something or some comments that said Tasmania was still closed to cruise ships?? 🤔

Anyone heard anything?

Still closed, working on protocols .here is the latest update. 

https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/travellers-and-visitors/coming-to-tasmania/cruise-ships

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Still closed, working on protocols .here is the latest update. 

https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/travellers-and-visitors/coming-to-tasmania/cruise-ships

Presume they will keep updated via our cruise line (Princess). We are booked on the round Aus October 22 which includes Hobart and Burnie. Wont be a big deal for us as been to tassie many times, but might affect others wanting to see. Hobart especially is well worth seeing.

1 minute ago, Cbtours said:

Presume they will keep updated via our cruise line (Princess). We are booked on the round Aus October 22 which includes Hobart and Burnie. Wont be a big deal for us as been to tassie many times, but might affect others wanting to see. Hobart especially is well worth seeing.

We are on your cruise for the Sydney to Brisbane segment.  It's a trial as we got the same cabin as we booked for next year's world cruise.  Have been reading your roll call.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Emma Chisit said:

We are on your cruise for the Sydney to Brisbane segment.  It's a trial as we got the same cabin as we booked for next year's world cruise.  Have been reading your roll call.

What a great idea. We're on the first princess cruise out of Brisbane for 4 x B2B but in a suite, cos great prices and it gets us to elite (cos needed 8 more credits and we get two each cruise) so our Oct one will be elite. Just hanging to be on the water again lol

• Like 1

I am on Westerdam 23 November 2022, part of itinerary is Port Arthur and Hobart. I have been to those places before, on fly drive trips, but I trust Tasmania will be open to ships.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Just hanging to be on the water again lol

Aren't we all!  But also interested in what is going to happen with Tasmania opening up to cruise ships as we are on the Oceania Regatta circumnavigation from Sydney on 12 December which has three Tasmanian ports.  So I am following Pacific Explorer with fingers crossed, ditto Coral Princess when she starts cruising.  No problems I hope.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I am on Westerdam 23 November 2022, part of itinerary is Port Arthur and Hobart. I have been to those places before, on fly drive trips, but I trust Tasmania will be open to ships.

Where is Westerdam at the moment?  Regatta still has to do her repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Sydney.  She comes via Japan - and Japan is definitely not open to cruise ships as yet. .  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Emma Chisit said:

Where is Westerdam at the moment?  Regatta still has to do her repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Sydney.  She comes via Japan - and Japan is definitely not open to cruise ships as yet. .  

She is currently in Portland, Oregon. Maybe doing coastals to Seattle or Inside Passage cruises - Alaska.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

She is currently in Portland, Oregon. Maybe doing coastals to Seattle or Inside Passage cruises - Alaska.

Yes I  see - just looked her up.  I think Regatta is in the same neck of the woods, but she is coming to Australia via Japan not Pacific islands like Westerdam.  Japan might be a challenge for the Oceania ship.  The Tasmanian government might be somewhat cautious but the Japanese government seems more so. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Emma Chisit said:

Yes I  see - just looked her up.  I think Regatta is in the same neck of the woods, but she is coming to Australia via Japan not Pacific islands like Westerdam.  Japan might be a challenge for the Oceania ship.  The Tasmanian government might be somewhat cautious but the Japanese government seems more so. 

Mr Albanese should crack the whip and tell these states like Tasmania to open up to all tourism including cruise ships. If they fail to do so, withdraw all Federal Funding, that might wake up the Apple Isle from the 18th Century.

18 hours ago, Emma Chisit said:

Aren't we all!  But also interested in what is going to happen with Tasmania opening up to cruise ships as we are on the Oceania Regatta circumnavigation from Sydney on 12 December which has three Tasmanian ports.  So I am following Pacific Explorer with fingers crossed, ditto Coral Princess when she starts cruising.  No problems I hope.

We are also on that cruise. Am hoping to get to some Tasmanian wine trgions.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Mr Albanese should crack the whip and tell these states like Tasmania to open up to all tourism including cruise ships. If they fail to do so, withdraw all Federal Funding, that might wake up the Apple Isle from the 18th Century.

They don't have to rush to open up. Ships won't go there much before October.

21 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. Plenty of time to see how the protocols work on the cruise ships operating in NSW and Queensland.

I just hope that the early cruises continue to follow stricter protocols for the time being.  Given the nervousness about cruising in some parts of the Australian community.  The live report from Pacific Explorer (Post #252 on page 11) indicates they have certain protocols - but that they are not necessarily always being enforced.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2855548-live-from-pacific-explorer-31st-may-australia-is-cruising-again/page/11/

I've been following overseas cruises since their re-start last year.  They started with strict protocols, then things were relaxed and more cases happened.  

54 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

We are also on that cruise. Am hoping to get to some Tasmanian wine trgions.

Yes they have excellent wines, and they don't always make it to the US.  (I lived in Northern VA for 17 years.)  With O's wine policy you should be able to clink your way on board with a few bottles in the three Tasmanian ports.  

3 hours ago, Emma Chisit said:

Yes they have excellent wines, and they don't always make it to the US.  (I lived in Northern VA for 17 years.)  With O's wine policy you should be able to clink your way on board with a few bottles in the three Tasmanian ports.  

I have been to a couple of Tassie Wineries, they are more boutique wines and expensive, none of the Dan Murphys $5 stuff, lol.  I have just come back from the Griffith area again, went to a few wineries inc De Bortoli in Griffith and Lilly Pilly in Leeton, both good, De Bortoli commercial wines with some better stuff, Lilly Pilly more boutique varieties.

• Haha 1