Base Layer?

PhotoGal07

We leave for Alaska in about a week.  Given that Alaska is currently experiencing higher temps (high 60's/low-mid 70's), should we bother to pack a base layer, or will we be good with t-shirts, fleece/sweatshirts, rain coat?  

Edited by PhotoGal07

34 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The weather this week has nothing to do with the weather next week. The weather is Alaska can change 4 times in a single day! Pack your base layer.

Noted!  Family of four, so we're trying to save luggage space wherever we can.  Figured I should at least ask 🙂.

While there is an expense (isn't that always happening) in doing ships laundry - really consider

it - instead of packing 7-8-9 days of clothing pack 4-5-6 and using the ships laundry program

or on some other ships have a roll of quarters and DIY. Pack a little baggie of powdered

detergent or small vial of liquid that is what you use at home to avoid irritation of off hand

commercial stuff. Need an iron - you don't need to bring one your cabin steward can get

you one and the ironing board also. 

Luggage getting to the 50# point and the airlines could charge you overweight.

There are lots of ways to keep the budget in clean clothes !

33 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

While there is an expense (isn't that always happening) in doing ships laundry - really consider

it - instead of packing 7-8-9 days of clothing pack 4-5-6 and using the ships laundry program

or on some other ships have a roll of quarters and DIY. Pack a little baggie of powdered

detergent or small vial of liquid that is what you use at home to avoid irritation of off hand

commercial stuff. Need an iron - you don't need to bring one your cabin steward can get

you one and the ironing board also. 

Luggage getting to the 50# point and the airlines could charge you overweight.

There are lots of ways to keep the budget in clean clothes !

Some cruise lines have separate guest laundry rooms that have irons, not in staterooms

NCL does not have self-service laundry but they do offer laundry perks for frequent cruisers

and on cruises of 6 or more days offer bag deals at a bargain price - dry cleaning not included.

Going to Alaska - do not bring fancy silk wardrobe stuff - center your clothing on simple

wash and wear - often you can make multiple uses out of some items - sox and underpinnings

can be done in the cabin sink and use the in house air dryer for rapidly drying -

Cruising is no longer a tantamount effort to drag along a steam trunk wardrobe for multiple

changes through out the cruising day.

Be creative mix and match rotate - and don't get started on footwear either !

Layer up - peal off - the outer most item should be semi moisture wind proof. 

• Like 1

“will we be good with t-shirts, fleece/sweatshirts, rain coat? “

I have taken five cruises to Alaska. T-shirts, fleece/sweaters, and rain coat are what I take. I used to take silk long underwear, but never needed it. I do take a hat and gloves. 

I do not hike, kayak, etc. so can’t say if active excursions require warmer clothes.

Have fun!

• Like 1

If you are going to be near water it won't be necessarily ice cold unless near a glacier -

chilly heck yes but not tepid or heated like pool spa hot tub water on the ship.

On a walk or hike with windy weather anticipate those breezes to be not like a Caribbean

warming front - expect a windchill factor of sorts - shiver me timbers especially near a

source of cold a glacier or flowing water.

Layer up - you can always take a layer off and put it back on to adjust for the temperature !

And at sea at night a walk on the Promenade deck be prepared to duck and cover - good

golly it got cold out here - you are near and in the North Pacific Ocean not the Hawaiian

warming waters - when the sun goes down the radiant heat stops - OK the sun stays up

till midnight in Alaska but don't be fooled the cruise season is scheduled for that reason

to take advantage of the daylight no matter how cold the ground may get.

Then of course you have the scenario where you are all layered up in the grungy damp and windy weather and suddenly the sun comes out and the wind drops and you need to unlayer .... and you have to deal with an armful of clothes 😁

Of  course Murphys Law states that once you have stripped down the rain will start etc etc🤪🙄

• Haha 1