Doing the EMED proctored test while on board using the ship’s wifi

We are sailing on the Wonder in less than three weeks, disembarking in Rome. I plan to use the EMED test on board to test the day before we disembark since i have an early flight back to the US and wont have time to test in port or at the airport. Has anyone done this? Has there been problems with interacting with the proctor over the ship’s WiFi? If we can not get the EMED tests done, does RCCL provide rapid tests on the ship (for a fee of course)? Thanks 

We were on the Wonder in May and the four of us used the ship WiFi to take our eMed tests. We did it at different times throughout the day on the sea day, Saturday, prior to flying back to the US on Sunday. None of us had any problems with the test. It was quick and easy and we experienced no WiFi problems.  Our results were emailed very quickly.   I sat at the desk and propped my phone on the back of the desk/wall which worked perfectly for the 15 minutes that you had to wait. I wasted way too much time worrying about the test. Watching a UTube video in advance was very helpful. 

• Like 1

Same thing with us on the Odyssey. Took both our eMed test on the last sea day before arriving in Civitavecchia. No problems with the ship's wifi. We used a mini tripod with our Iphone.

* We don't recommend taking the test at FCO. The queue can be long and a number of passengers missed their flights. It may be even worse if there are other ships disembarking that same day.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. I haven’t been to Europe in years, and certainly not in the last two years. I’m finding it a bit tricky to stay on top of what needs to be done. It is a relief to know that the testing on the ship should go smoothly. (As long as we test negative of course)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you all for your replies. I haven’t been to Europe in years, and certainly not in the last two years. I’m finding it a bit tricky to stay on top of what needs to be done. It is a relief to know that the testing on the ship should go smoothly. (As long as we test negative of course)

We also brought a few of the "free, non-proctored" home test kits...and tested ourselves while onboard...we were onboard for 34 days. Fortunately, always negative.

• Like 3

What level of WIFI do you think is needed to complete a proctored test? We are on Voyager so assume I would buy a one-day VOOM SURF + STREAM VOYAGE PACKAGE once onboard (we don't need it every day).

1 hour ago, pghflyer said:

What level of WIFI do you think is needed to complete a proctored test? We are on Voyager so assume I would buy a one-day VOOM SURF + STREAM VOYAGE PACKAGE once onboard (we don't need it every day).

Good decision.  We did the test day day before getting into port and it worked out fine.  Surf & Stream recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pcur said:

I'd have a back-up plan.  Check with Customer Service or the Medical Center about getting the test done on board the ship.  This would be in case the wifi is wonky.  

Customer Service or Med Center is not going to help you.  If you test positive while on the ship, their problem.

Just as an FYI, with Emed if you disconnect mid test you are able to immediately reconnect and pick back up where were.  I know this because while testing in April my daughter dropped her boyfriends phone during the test and they disconnected.  They used the instructions and reconnected and a different proctor resumed where the first got disconnected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SNemeth said:

Just as an FYI, with Emed if you disconnect mid test you are able to immediately reconnect and pick back up where were.  I know this because while testing in April my daughter dropped her boyfriends phone during the test and they disconnected.  They used the instructions and reconnected and a different proctor resumed where the first got disconnected.

I highly recommend a laptop, not an iPhone.  You just adjust the screen as directed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pghflyer said:

Definitely want surf n stream and find a nice quiet location onboard with strong wifi signal.   Some cabins have poor wifi depending on location.

Maybe ship library or conference room, if able to use. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I highly recommend a laptop, not an iPhone.  You just adjust the screen as directed.

We don't bring laptops on vacation and since our testing window was after we left for the airport we used what we had.  I agree a laptop would be the better option, if possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on Brilliance out of Ravenna (Venice) and at the suggestion of crew did our EMeds tests using the wifi in the conference rooms as that was the strongest wifi signal.  With Stream had no issues in performing 4 tests for our travel party on an Iphone

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Customer Service or Med Center is not going to help you.  If you test positive while on the ship, their problem.

Seems to me it's worth at least asking. My focus is to always have a Plan B.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1