For UK bookings: Change of cabin grade at current price denied...

Mark_T

Has something changed in the last couple of years?

With UK bookings we don't benefit from the ability to reprice an existing reservation, but in the past it has been possible to change to a higher grade cabin and pay the price difference between the original reservation and the current price of the cabin.

Just called in to do that as prices had fallen with the current promotion so was going to move from Veranda to Concierge and was told it was not possible and would have to cancel the existing reservation, lose the deposit, and rebook at the current price...

15 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

With UK bookings we don't benefit from the ability to reprice an existing reservation, but in the past it has been possible to change to a higher grade cabin and pay the price difference between the original reservation and the current price of the cabin.

Just called in to do that as prices had fallen with the current promotion so was going to move from Veranda to Concierge and was told it was not possible and would have to cancel the existing reservation, lose the deposit, and rebook at the current price...

Are you calling your travel agent or Celebrity direct ? I’m sure the UK now allows one price match in the booking T&C’s …. We booked onboard last few times for future cruises and were told we could get best price match if it changed ?
Also for this years cruise we booked a sky suite and only one was available when we booked and better positioned became available a few months ago (corner aft sky suite) I emailed our TA in UK and she said no problem, changed booking with Celebrity and no change of price or charges (and the SS is now over £3K more than we paid when we booked !!

This is a recent direct booking with Celebrity, the price match currently offered is only for the same day as the original booking so not really much use.

Just trying to change from Veranda to Concierge, but I am being told that requires the entire reservation to be cancelled with 100% loss of deposit, which isn't what I have experienced before. 

For the last few years we have all ways booked directly with Celebrity and use the same "Celebrity Cruise Consultant". Pre pandemic she could do most things with bookings we had made on board, such as repricing, changing cabins or switching to other cruises but didn't have as much flexibility with cruises we booked from the UK. Post pandemic she has said she can now treat all our bookings with the same flexibility. 

A case in point is the cruise we are going to be on in July. I phoned her in early  April to talk about a move up offer I had in for an end of April fjords cruise we were going on. While on the phone she spotted good deal on our July Reflection cruise and saved an extra £800 by repricing it 😎

Now it may be that we book two or three cruises a year usually in Upper suites.. 

• Thanks 1

When is the sailing and when did you book?   If you booked before May 31 and sailing is before Sept 31 I think your sailing is eligible for the more flexible price match.   I'm aware that the UK version wasn't called Cruise with Confidence but I believe the price match was very similar.

I think what you are being told is the old program which has been reinstated for new bookings an bookings sailing after 9/30 where you only have 24 to 48 hrs to get the lower price.

Hopefully someone with a copy of the UK version of the price match can post here.

I've always had to cancel, lose my deposit, and rebook to get any price reductions in the past. I was told this is because we have ABTA and ATOL protections so there's no way to adjust without cancelling.

37 minutes ago, groryjm said:

For the last few years we have all ways booked directly with Celebrity and use the same "Celebrity Cruise Consultant". Pre pandemic she could do most things with bookings we had made on board, such as repricing, changing cabins or switching to other cruises but didn't have as much flexibility with cruises we booked from the UK. Post pandemic she has said she can now treat all our bookings with the same flexibility. 

A case in point is the cruise we are going to be on in July. I phoned her in early  April to talk about a move up offer I had in for an end of April fjords cruise we were going on. While on the phone she spotted good deal on our July Reflection cruise and saved an extra £800 by repricing it 😎

Now it may be that we book two or three cruises a year usually in Upper suites.. 

You have to put me in touch with her. I could do with agent like her

I changed free of charge from an Infinite veranda to sunset for my 18 June Edge cruise.  None had been available at booking but one opened up four weeks later and a straight switch was made. We also got the free upgraded drinks package and extra OBC at the time of the switch.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

This is a veranda booking made 11th May this year, for a sailing 2nd Jan 2023.

I'm not expecting any of the 'covid' rules to be in play, just standard T&C.

Not trying to reprice the booking as I know we cannot do that.

What I have done in the past is upgraded to a higher cabin and paid the difference between the current price on the new cabin and the original price on the old cabin.

According to the conversation I've just had, that is no longer possible.

24 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Thanks for the feedback folks.

This is a veranda booking made 11th May this year, for a sailing 2nd Jan 2023.

I'm not expecting any of the 'covid' rules to be in play, just standard T&C.

Not trying to reprice the booking as I know we cannot do that.

What I have done in the past is upgraded to a higher cabin and paid the difference between the current price on the new cabin and the original price on the old cabin.

According to the conversation I've just had, that is no longer possible.

Might be worth simply phoning again and if the answer is still no with another operator ask to speak to a supervisor….Explain that ‘In your previous experiences…’. At worst you will waste an hour on the phone. 

Please feed back, I am sure many of us could benefit from your experience.

Edited by chemmo

2 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Might be worth simply phoning again and if the answer is still no with another operator ask to speak to a supervisor….Explain that ‘In your previous experiences…’. At worst you will waste an hour on the phone.

I'll call again early tomorrow morning, I often get the older US based staff at that time of day who tend to be much better with the system than some of the newer staff.

Took 2 hours on hold just to get through this afternoon, after a previous attempt where I was cut-off after two hours on hold without ever getting through.

I'll post again after the call.

We have been offered OBC.

I took screen shots of a revised cabin price and sent them to our TA who sent them to Celebrity. It took 5 days for them to answer, but as we have already paid, we were given OBC.

“Best Offer Guarantee. 

If the fare on your sailing is reduced or the promotion gets better, give us a call and we’ll honor your choice right up to 48 hours before you sail. This applies to bookings made before March 31, 2022 for sailings up to September 30, 2022.

• You may change your offer as many times as desired up to 48 hours before sailing.
  • For bookings within final payment, any amounts owed will be refunded in theform of nonrefundable Onboard Credit.For bookings outside of final payment, any amounts owed will be refunded to theoriginal form of cruise fare payment.
  • Bookings made after March 31, 2022, will be covered with our existing Best Price Guarantee policy.
  • Bookings made by UK & Ireland guests after March 31, 2022 will be covered by the existing Price Promise policy.”

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I had this last week. Email my Celebrity booker and pushed for OBC. Having been denied the first two emails he supervisee agreed the OBC.

The best price guarantee or the new equivalent still come into play. We are now 46 days away from sailing. Call back and speak to someone else. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, upwarduk said:
  • Bookings made by UK & Ireland guests after March 31, 2022 will be covered by the existing Price Promise policy.”

The only problem with the UK Price Promise is this bit:

"Please note that proof of the lower fare must be emailed to your Personal Cruise Concierge on the same day the booking is made for the price match to be applied."

So it doesn't help when there are price changes after the first day, but this is not new of course it was always like this pre-covid.

Good that you could still use the much better 'Best Offer' version for earlier bookings.

• Thanks 1

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the "price promise" but I read that as relating to instances when you could get the same cruise booked via someone else at a cheaper price rather than direct with celebrity....hence the reason for funding it on the same day. I can't imagine there's many,if any, instances that you book a cruise direct and that the price changes the same day....might be wrong but that's how I understand the price promise.

10 minutes ago, jojo1966 said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the "price promise" but I read that as relating to instances when you could get the same cruise booked via someone else at a cheaper price rather than direct with celebrity....hence the reason for funding it on the same day. I can't imagine there's many,if any, instances that you book a cruise direct and that the price changes the same day....might be wrong but that's how I understand the price promise.

I tend to agree, but either way it isn't really any use beyond the day you make the booking.

There is a ‘cruise with confidence’ guarantee for UK bookings. Provided it was booked prior to 31/3/22 for a cruise before the end of September 2022. 

I’ve had 3 separate price reductions which have all been honoured!  

22 minutes ago, Bigdrinks said:

There is a ‘cruise with confidence’ guarantee for UK bookings. Provided it was booked prior to 31/3/22 for a cruise before the end of September 2022. 

I’ve had 3 separate price reductions which have all been honoured!  

Understood, but that isn't the issue here as we are now back to 'normal' UK rules and my booking was made recently.

'Cruise with confidence' was great, while it lasted...