Anyone hear of having to have your FCC's reinstated?

jimmcs16

I was trying to use my FCC after our January 2022 South America cancellation and my travel agent said they had to talk to their supervisor about reinstating our FCC.

That was weeks ago. No response from Oceania after  multiple attempts.

1 hour ago, jimmcs16 said:

I was trying to use my FCC after our January 2022 South America cancellation and my travel agent said they had to talk to their supervisor about reinstating our FCC.

That was weeks ago. No response from Oceania after  multiple attempts.

If Oceania cancelled the cruise, call O direct and see if you can book the replacement cruise direct using the now unused FCC. Then you can always transfer it to a TA.

Booking a new cruise now is a challenge. I have 11 Oceania new cruises booked already. I have had several Oceania Cruises cancelled by Oceania. The last time I contacted Oceania regarding a current issue, they always tell me to talk to my TA. Currently Oceania is not responding in a timely manner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmcs16 said:

Booking a new cruise now is a challenge. I have 11 Oceania new cruises booked already. I have had several Oceania Cruises cancelled by Oceania. The last time I contacted Oceania regarding a current issue, they always tell me to talk to my TA. Currently Oceania is not responding in a timely manner.

Since you are working with a TA, protocol is that you work with your TA who, in turn, is your advocate at Oceania. Are they not responding to your TA in a timely manner?

5 hours ago, jimmcs16 said:

that is correct, Oceania has not replied in a timely manner, as far as I am concerned anyway. It has been 3 weeks

Are you in contact with your TA on this? Are they responding? I think I'd be checking every couple of days. Actually, no I wouldn't have to, my TA would be all over it.

• Like 4

Contacted Oceania,  Basically the issue is Oceania is telling me I have to use the fcc this year, or lose it. No mention of this when the cruise was cancelled on January 4th ,2022. I had just made final payment on two cruises for March. I have booked two Cunard, two Viking cruises for this year. I do have one more Oceania cruise booked this year, but is only 7 days. I also have a 12 day trip planned to Oregon. We do not have the time available to book another cruise. My Oceania 7 day is less than the $8800 I need to use this year. I do have 10 Oceania cruises booked in 23 and 24.  

2 hours ago, jimmcs16 said:

Contacted Oceania,  Basically the issue is Oceania is telling me I have to use the fcc this year, or lose it. No mention of this when the cruise was cancelled on January 4th ,2022. I had just made final payment on two cruises for March. I have booked two Cunard, two Viking cruises for this year. I do have one more Oceania cruise booked this year, but is only 7 days. I also have a 12 day trip planned to Oregon. We do not have the time available to book another cruise. My Oceania 7 day is less than the $8800 I need to use this year. I do have 10 Oceania cruises booked in 23 and 24.  

Are the terms  that you have to sail in 2022 or book a cruise in 2022?

There were so many different terms with the FCC's

Maybe you can apply the FCC to one of your 2023 cruises ??

I would have thought if they cancelled the cruise you would get a refund 🤔

5 hours ago, jimmcs16 said:

Contacted Oceania,  Basically the issue is Oceania is telling me I have to use the fcc this year, or lose it. No mention of this when the cruise was cancelled on January 4th ,2022. ....My Oceania 7 day is less than the $8800 I need to use this year....

FWIW: If you are in the US, the newest US-FMC dictate has strengthened the requirement for, at least, the option of choosing refund over FCC. The date that it went into effect and the date of your initial booking of a cruise cancelled by O is important since it is not retroactive for already booked cruises. However, your State (e.g., California) may already require that option. Read your T&Cs and Ticket Contract where you’ll see a term like “where legally required.”

As for the “book by/cruise by” deadlines, normally they would have been clearly specified in the cancellation email you received directly from Oceania or from O via your TA. Moreover, though your TA would need to request it, you can get a written document specifying the $ amount and deadlines of FCCs (looks a lot like the Future Deposit Certificate you buy onboard). And, USUALLY, those deadlines are “book by” one year from O’s cancel notice date and “cruise by” the end of that “book by” calendar year.

In addition, O is pretty good about allowing deadline exceptions though you’ll always get a NO answer to a request for an unspecified reason. The strategy I’ve successfully used is to request a “cruise by” deadline extension so that the FCC can be used as deposit for a specific cruise (more expensive than the cancelled one always helps as does indicating that you’ll make two future bookings if the waive the FCC “cruise by” deadline for one of them).

Always worth mentioning is the importance of using a truly O-savvy TA who should know everything I’ve just said above. It’s not “rocket science.” But understanding the O idiosyncrasies is important. 

I talked to Oceania guest services, she was going to her supervisor, always came back with a have to use this FCC this year. The cancellation letter did not state any requirements on the FCC that would be given. she would also state 125% reinbursement was involved , which is totally false . I think upper management is doing the wrong thing and guest services person has no say, and I do not have any say in it either. I am totally screwed. What they said they were going to do yesterday has not happened yet either. Not sure what I believe anymore. Oceania did not respond to my TA for three weeks on my original concern. I guess they can not decide how they are going get around this. I have not trust anymore in Oceania

The chain of command is alive and well at Oceania so use it. A polite letter/email stating the facts about the cancellation and lack of limitation on your cancellation correspondence may give the “Boss” just the face saving out he or she needs. 
Good Luck but remember, the 12/31/22 Use By date has been in place for a LONG TIME and I have never seen a waiver to it in writing.  I believe you said you had a couple of other cruises booked, on O?  If Oceania, ask if they can apply the FCC to that booking and refund the money deposited.  If not that and it is an O cruise, if you are not in a penalty situation and there is availability, consider cancelling your booking and then have the Rep rebook it with the FCC. 
Or worst case you will just have to cram in another cruise or make the decision to blow off the FCC.  I am sure you have a good TA working for you but I am also sure there are others out there who are better connected and could have been more effective. 
JMHO, you have some options and wish you the best of luck.

Mauibabes

• Like 1

Oceania wouldn’t let us us fcc for a January 2023 cruise.  We had to cancel our January 2022 cruise due to Covid.  We figured just book a similar cruise following year.  We even picked a longer sailing which costs more. My TA contacted O and was told no. We had to use fcc by end of 2022.  We don’t normally travel in December since we like being home for the holidays. We booked early December 2022 similar cruise to the one we missed.  We booked most expensive cabin available and will still have fcc money leftover. Guess we’ll lose it.  After sailing last week on a different line and contracting Covid, we may choose not to cruise.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 7:53 AM, Redtravel said:

Oceania wouldn’t let us us fcc for a January 2023 cruise.  We had to cancel our January 2022 cruise due to Covid.  We figured just book a similar cruise following year.  We even picked a longer sailing which costs more. My TA contacted O and was told no. We had to use fcc by end of 2022.  We don’t normally travel in December since we like being home for the holidays. We booked early December 2022 similar cruise to the one we missed.  We booked most expensive cabin available and will still have fcc money leftover. Guess we’ll lose it.  After sailing last week on a different line and contracting Covid, we may choose not to cruise.  

I hope that you are feeling better and will stay on your December cruise. We were booked on the same January 2022 cruise, also cancelled and ended up booking that early December Marina cruise because Oceania seems to be shortening the length of its Caribbean itineraries to be 10 days maximum. I am looking forward to meeting you in six months.