Will pre cruise testing end on Azamara soon?

uktog

12 hours ago, les37b said:

I did also and never had any problems doing the test.

Going forward, I'd be ok with the removal of testing. It kills travel enjoyment when you can arrive in a port and be denied entry because you had close contact with someone testing positive.

But it's a case (in Europe at least) Azamara and all CL following the mandate that testing to board is a legal requirement. Our boarding last week, it was the Portuguese passport control officials checking the paperwork.... All of which to me seems to be a money making exercise for testing and hotel accomodation if your luck is out.

So until the EU lifts this, European cruises will remain to have a test. For departing the UK, I don't think it's needed... But suspect CL are choosing to make mandatory.

I don’t understand as Viking cruises a lot in Europe???

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, harrodsfan said:

I don’t understand as Viking cruises a lot in Europe???

They do... And before 2 or 3 days ago a test pre boarding and each day was mandatory.

There was an announcement made a few days ago which coincided with the US CDC announcement. I've still yet to see an announcement the EU has followed suit re-cruises,  but if Viking have made the statement no pre tests, then the EU must also have stopped it as a requirement. 

• Thanks 1

We are on the Pursuit for the Ireland Intensive cruise on July 27. We are flying into Heathrow a full day earlier so we would have to take the Covid test after we arrive in London.  I really, really hope that the pre cruise test goes away before that. That is the one thing that is stressing me out.  What happens if we arrive in London and then can't board the ship?  Then what????

• Like 1

Doesn’t sound like it’s going away anytime soon.  Just received an email outlining testing requirements for our cruise the end of July.  Newly written/ revised as it mentions that the US no longer requires testing for entry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laurieb said:

Doesn’t sound like it’s going away anytime soon.  Just received an email outlining testing requirements for our cruise the end of July.  Newly written/ revised as it mentions that the US no longer requires testing for entry.

Drat, we’ve a logistical nightmare to get ours as we can’t go for a PCR. 

Not had any notification here, are they accepting recovery certificates yet?  That’s my other concern, we find somewhere to test and there’s still a legacy issue.  

59 minutes ago, uktog said:

Drat, we’ve a logistical nightmare to get ours as we can’t go for a PCR. 

Not had any notification here, are they accepting recovery certificates yet?  That’s my other concern, we find somewhere to test and there’s still a legacy issue.  

We can't risk a PCR either but plan to take Randox Lateral Flow tests at home the morning before our cruise. Azamara's wording "At home or self-testing kits without a test certificate are not accepted" tells we they will accept at home or self-testing kits with a test certificate.

• Like 2

Just received mail that they will continue with same testing requirements. We are going thru Covid as we speak and obviously cannot go for the PCR-test( it is too expensive as well), and our solution will be either an Antigen test at a pharmacy in Nice or a boarding test at $59 USD. Back to square one. We can accept that. It will probably be no problem.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

Just received mail that they will continue with same testing requirements. We are going thru Covid as we speak and obviously cannot go for the PCR-test( it is too expensive as well), and our solution will be either an Antigen test at a pharmacy in Nice or a boarding test at $59 USD. Back to square one. We can accept that. It will probably be no problem.

Hope you are OK.  I think we are in the same boat (pardon the pun) in Dublin.  Just concerned we pick up positive there but its an easy flight home

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Hope you are OK.  I think we are in the same boat (pardon the pun) in Dublin.  Just concerned we pick up positive there but its an easy flight home

So far so good. I am without symptoms today (day 5), but Synnøve still has a bad cough. We should be OK for boarding in 51 days. There is a new wave coming…..

Edited by oddjob16

5 hours ago, Nellypops said:

I’m on Journey as now. 

7 passengers are positive with Covid and in isolation. 

To those that want the pre boarding testing to cease, this is all  the more reason to keep testing. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, DRJVH said:

To those that want the pre boarding testing to cease, this is all  the more reason to keep testing. 

I feel the opposite, not a mask in sight on our cruise. Almost completely back to normal, still would prefer to grab my own food at the buffet. Removing the test requirements is ideal. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, BohJang said:

We are on the Pursuit for the Ireland Intensive cruise on July 27. We are flying into Heathrow a full day earlier so we would have to take the Covid test after we arrive in London.  I really, really hope that the pre cruise test goes away before that. That is the one thing that is stressing me out.  What happens if we arrive in London and then can't board the ship?  Then what????

I can’t wait until this testing requirement is eliminated but if we tested positive would have turned it into a European land vacation. Thankfully, we tested negative with the proctored tests and could relax. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mdpa said:

I feel the opposite, not a mask in sight on our cruise. Almost completely back to normal, still would prefer to grab my own food at the buffet. Removing the test requirements is ideal. 

It isn't "normal" when passengers on two ships are isolating with Covid.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, mdpa said:

I wonder how many on your cruise currently have COVID and in isolation and likely to miss flights home.

No matter what you feel as being acceptable risks to you personally, the outcome if you do catch can be devastating on your wallet and time away from home. Been there, done it. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

It isn't "normal" when passengers on two ships are isolating with Covid.

Our cruise has been very close to normal. Great White Night party last night with a buffet and dancing. Less than 1% wore a mask and it was refreshing to see most of the crew without a mask including the captain.

The only hassle that reminded me about the restrictions was having to have the server select one Spanish cheese at a time in the buffet. I look forward to selecting my own food soon just like the ice cream station!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, les37b said:

I wonder how many on your cruise currently have COVID and in isolation and likely to miss flights home.

No matter what you feel as being acceptable risks to you personally, the outcome if you do catch can be devastating on your wallet and time away from home. Been there, done it. 

As far as I know, no one on this cruise has COVID and if they weren’t required to test there would be no impact on travel…just like the common cold. Yes, I still think anyone who has these concerns should stay home until their fears are further alleviated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This "common cold" comparison is nonsense.  There is no such syndrome called 'long cold' as there is 'long Covid.' 

A good friend has been incapacitated for more than a month after contracting Covid in early May, and that's after quadruple vaccinations and a five-day course of Paxlovid.  Would have been disastrous if he had been on a Spain-intensive cruise or something similar.  "No impact on travel?"  Rot.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, mdpa said:

Our cruise has been very close to normal. Great White Night party last night with a buffet and dancing. Less than 1% wore a mask and it was refreshing to see most of the crew without a mask including the captain.

The only hassle that reminded me about the restrictions was having to have the server select one Spanish cheese at a time in the buffet. I look forward to selecting my own food soon just like the ice cream station!

COVID will get you sooner or later. Hopefully you won’t be seriously affected and hopefully you don’t get it before you go home. 
After 4 vaccinations, we still got COVID and are still suffering symptoms  of long COVID weeks later. 
I’m happy for the servers to serve me, there’s always too much waste with buffets, people’s  eyes are much bigger than bellies and some don’t have the same hygiene expectations. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, mdpa said:

As far as I know, no one on this cruise has COVID and if they weren’t required to test there would be no impact on travel…just like the common cold. Yes, I still think anyone who has these concerns should stay home until their fears are further alleviated.

I live in the real world, where there are calculated risks which are managed the best as possible. It matters not that you think Covid is a fuss about nothing. If you are suggesting you would happily travel infected and risk others, then that says a lot about you. There are several people on our current trip who are in isolation.

IMG_20220616_194820.thumb.jpg.5e92d15b04acce13406c939a917aea24.jpg

This was the room next to ours, which I mentioned I saw medical staff attending.

This is what happens, when you are confined to your room on the ship. The effects will be more costly if you are positive when you disembark. And no, the tests were done because of suspicion and you cannot say "no thank you, I want to be back to normal".

I have zero fear from the virus from a medical perspective. The effects in travel are a different matter. If you get unlucky, you might then understand the consequences.

I might happy agree with your desires to be "back to normal", but until quarantine and close contact restrictions are lifted, but until then..... Them's the rules and if you court the virus, I'm no doubt you will likely be rewarded.

BTW, when you say you have no cases on your cruise, I rather suspect there are. Just because Azamara are keeping it quiet, doesn't mean your thoughts are true. On mine they told me the same. False info. I know there are as there is a positive case posting an I saw a medical guy dealing with the room next to ours with a long list of room numbers.... I suspect it wasn't to say hi.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 8

Looks like requirements aren’t beIng lifted anytime soon. I received an email from Azamara yesterday advising the following for our August 6th cruise:

Azamara Testing Requirements

• To strive for a COVID-19 free environment, guests will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation. The COVID-19 test can either be:
    • PCR: Test date no older than three days prior to embarkation; OR
    • Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation
  • For Guests that cannot present a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation testing is available in the terminal or on the boarding deck for $59 USD.
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Looks like requirements aren’t beIng lifted anytime soon. I received an email from Azamara yesterday advising the following for our August 6th cruise:

Azamara Testing Requirements

• To strive for a COVID-19 free environment, guests will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation. The COVID-19 test can either be:
    • PCR: Test date no older than three days prior to embarkation; OR
    • Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation
  • For Guests that cannot present a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation testing is available in the terminal or on the boarding deck for $59 USD.

Thanks for the update.  I suppose you have a chance just as restrictions were introduced overnight, relaxation could also be very quick as and when it is sanctioned