breakfast room service tips

Random Cruizer

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

I have no problem tipping but must say that anytime I had room service meals delivered they were never set up . Just a pile of trays dumped on the closest surface. I have had a few breakfasts in CC  and aqua delivered. I did not know that they 'set up'

“Dumped”?  I’m sure you mean placed, even if you don’t tip I can’t imagine they’d just dump them somewhere 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

I have no problem tipping but must say that anytime I had room service meals delivered they were never set up . Just a pile of trays dumped on the closest surface. I have had a few breakfasts in CC  and aqua delivered. I did not know that they 'set up'

Every meal, Every Meal, I’ve had via room service has been brought in on a tray, I’m asked where I’ll be dining and they have ‘Set It Up’ ie taken the stack down when there‘s room either out on the veranda table or inside coffee table in front of the couch. 

In more than a few instances, they’ve poured coffee, opened the dining tops to show me the order and so on. All this is in standard SRs, not special butlers. 

I was appreciative as they entered, and tipped a few bucks.  

Den

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

others' confusion regarding who is included in the prepaid gratuity

What " confusion " ???

There is None !!!

So , What if Celebrity says that room service is included in AI ??

For " S---" sake you are spending $$$$$ on the cruise-- 

These people work so hard for our enjoyment --Just hand him/her a few $$ .

It's the right thing to do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Either way, a tip is always expected and appreciated.

Appreciated yes, expected no, this infers that a tip should be given even if you are unsatisfied with the service. Food cold, not as ordered, very late? Would you tip in a restaurant for poor service? 

2 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

The rude hyperbole over others' confusion regarding who is included in the prepaid gratuity pool is over the top.  X could very easily clarify who is and who is not already covered to lessen the confusion.

II think the ‘rude hyperbole’ is not over others’ confusion but that someone appears to be very worried that they might actually tip someone who is getting a Very Minor cut of the prepaid gratuity. That does not cover all the staff that provides you the service and tipping, not be be confused with a pre-paid gratuity, is paid for direct service and is fully understood that it May be in addition to their gratuity cut. 

What’s the point? Many add tips to their table waitstaff and their room steward that are obviously getting the ‘cut’; many add tips to the bar tenders and lounge waitstaff and do not ask “Are you getting a cut of my prepaid gratuity?” 

I always get a kick out of all of this. We spend a few thousand for the SR and cruise experience, and sit and post over and over about $2, $5…… going to someone who is in Most cases taking care of their families back home and is the major breadwinner in an extended family. 

But go ahead and get some list so you don‘t accidently tip someone who has already made a killing on the prepaid.  

And No lectures on this terrible US tipping requirement…….my Canadian friends will take great insult of being left out.

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, sunlover33 said:

Appreciated yes, expected no, this infers that a tip should be given even if you are unsatisfied with the service. Food cold, not as ordered, very late? Would you tip in a restaurant for poor service? 

In the context of the tipping culture being forcefully represented here, yes, most would still tip, just less than would otherwise have been the case.

Never going to resolve this on a forum, some will bring their own regional practices with them regardless of the local culture and will vigorously defend their approach as the only justifiable way to behave, as you can see in this thread.

This is a good reason why this stuff is best not debated on here, just do as you feel appropriate and recognise great service where appropriate in whatever way you feel to be right, just don't seek to justify what I hope most would agree is unfair (removing auto-tips on the last evening for example) and on the flip side, if at all possible don't try to bully others into following what you do just because it is 'normal' for you...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Food cold, not as ordered, very late?

LOL-- On a cruise ship you, oops, I tip as soon as the order is delivered, and I don't " examine " the order prior to handing over $3-5 , rather than 20 % of the bill in a restaurant on land. 

28 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

What " confusion " ???

There is None !!!

So , What if Celebrity says that room service is included in AI ??

For " S---" sake you are spending $$$$$ on the cruise-- 

These people work so hard for our enjoyment --Just hand him/her a few $$ .

It's the right thing to do.

This is only your opinion.  Not to be confused with others' opinions.  I would suggest you revisit the tone you're taking in this.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

II think the ‘rude hyperbole’ is not over others’ confusion but that someone appears to be very worried that they might actually tip someone who is getting a Very Minor cut of the prepaid gratuity.

And I (and obviously others) do not read it that way.  The question is whether or not room service is already covered under the portion that goes to "dining services."  I happen to agree that it doesn't, but that doesn't mean it's not confusing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

This is only your opinion.  Not to be confused with others' opinions.  I would suggest you revisit the tone you're taking in this.  

I knew it-- 

Yup, you got it right-- 

It's my opinion--- and, others too !!!

" tone " ??? Nothing to re-visit ---- It does bother me when I read how some folks look for excuses to not tip a few $$ for a room service order.

Is it that hard to tell ???

Edited by Pinboy
Forgot a point

10 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Jeez you sure told em, just like my second grade teacher used to.  @Pinboyyou just been schooled buddy!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

It does bother me when I read how some folks look for excuses to not tip a few $$ for a room service order.

Some people will tip extra on drinks that have already had a tip paid.  That doesn't mean it's required.  To ridicule another poster for daring to ask the question in that or any other context is where I have a problem with your tone as it comes across as bullying.

• Like 2

I guess the ‘confusion’ comes in is those that say they do tip extra, but are confused by who is and isn’t getting the gratuity. If they’d tip for the service, why ask who is getting the prepaid gratuity if you’d tip them anyway???

I find it kind of on the edge of wanting to know what each staff person is paid and so on, as if that is part of why or why not to tip. If you are ‘worried’ someone is getting more than the others, Do Not tip good looking bar tenders, according to more than few, they make a killing!!

Tip the short old dumpy ones who look like the photo in this corner! They’ll need it!

• Like 2

Just now, bEwAbG said:

I have a problem with your tone as it comes across as bullying.

Wrong---

No " bullying " intended.

Perhaps a little " frustration " as we are all expressing our point of view on whether to tip or not for  room service delivery.

To me and others it makes no difference if it's included or not ?

Why so much discussion and confusion over a few $$ anyway ?

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Wrong---

No " bullying " intended.

Perhaps a little " frustration " as we are all expressing our point of view on whether to tip or not for  room service delivery.

To me and others it makes no difference if it's included or not ?

Why so much discussion and confusion over a few $$ anyway ?

Me think thou dost protest too much. Surely tipping extra is a private and personal matter and no one else’s business? 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I guess the ‘confusion’ comes in is those that say they do tip extra, but are confused by who is and isn’t getting the gratuity. If they’d tip for the service, why ask who is getting the prepaid gratuity if you’d tip them anyway???

I find it kind of on the edge of wanting to know what each staff person is paid and so on, as if that is part of why or why not to tip. If you are ‘worried’ someone is getting more than the others, Do Not tip good looking bar tenders, according to more than few, they make a killing!!

Tip the short old dumpy ones who look like the photo in this corner! They’ll need it!

I noted the similarity with adding additional tips for drinks.  The bartender is getting whatever percent per drink already.  Those additional tips beyond that would be over tipping.  Fine if you want to do that.  Not fine if that becomes the expectation (or worse--people calling you cheap because you don't want to pay a 40-50% gratuity on every drink ordered).

3 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I noted the similarity with adding additional tips for drinks.  The bartender is getting whatever percent per drink already.  Those additional tips beyond that would be over tipping.  Fine if you want to do that.  Not fine if that becomes the expectation (or worse--people calling you cheap because you don't want to pay a 40-50% gratuity on every drink ordered).

Agree about overtiippng, but I think you are exaggerating the gratuity + tip. And nobody knows what others tips except those that tell others.

And personally, I think the one who makes sure all know they don’t tip are as bad of the ones who make sure all know how much they do. I only wave the $1 bill around 2 or 3 times before I hand it over.  

Den

14 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Me think thou dost protest too much. Surely tipping extra is a private and personal matter and no one else’s business? 

Sure it is, that is until someone asks here on this forum and it no longer remains private.  

• Like 1

Just now, sunlover33 said:

You know what ??  You are correct .

Really , it's not any of my business who tips or how much they tip.

I think it got " out of hand " a bit or I took the " bait " from folks who look for an excuse not to tip. 

I expressed my opinion -- took some " heat " over it -- ( many did agree with my point of view ). 

Now, time to move on.

Hope to meet many of my fellow CCer's on a future cruise .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Sure it is, that is until someone asks here on this forum and it no longer remains private.  

But that’s the whole point, tip extra if you want to, and the amount is whatever you deem acceptable or affordable for yourself personally, but you do whatever feels ok for you depending on your culture and don’t feel obligated to do whatever anyone else does or is expected. It’s so personal. Gratuities are already paid,  anything else is an extra given for good service. 

• Like 1

Just wondering, at what level of tips included would you not consider tipping extra for included services? $50 pp/pd? $100 pp/pd? I think it's clear that room service deliveries are an included service and they share in the tip pool. I assume the cruise line has figured out what tip level is required to provide a decent paycheck for the staff. When I was last in London I noticed a 12.5% service charge in most of the restaurants that we dined. I concluded that was the appropriate tip per the establishment and since we usually had a very nice bottle of wine with the meal we would leave it at that. BTW, we sail Retreat and always tip extra at the end for above and beyond service.  

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 8:56 AM, Mark_T said:

So bribe the server in an attempt to skip the line... doesn't sound quite so noble that way around though does it?

This is one of the least welcome exports from the US in countries that didn't have this as a problem originally.

I know that nothing will change this behavior, I've been well trained in the art of competitive tipping during the time I've spent living in the USA, and I do know when a bribe is customary in the US, just a pity it couldn't have stayed in the US.

Tipping in US (at least pre covid) is more in the nature of cost shifting.  Legislation allows service industries to pay a lower wage in anticipation of the servers receipt of tips.  It is not just a bribe, in some industries it's a necessary part of their pay. As a result, tipping became de rigueur. 

Over time the "expected " tip has crept up as have the industries where tipping is becoming common.  And Covid has increased and spread tipping even further as a lot of us (including me) have started tipping on take out orders, etc.

That being said, tipping is now and will always be a personal choice.  I make no excuses for tipping well and I'm not going to assume bad motives or criticize anyone who does not share my views.

Edited by capecodmercury

On 6/20/2022 at 9:56 PM, Dolebludger said:

All I do know is that when lines like Regent say tips included, when one asks about tips above and beyond that one is advised to make a donation to the crew fund. This fund takes care of personal problems the crew may have.we have always donated to it. 

As you can see, I am balancing the merits of a Celebrity  suite cruise against those of a Regent cruise in a lower category on that line. It seems they are close to the same price. After more Regent cruises than I can count, we stumbled on cruises in Celebrity suites. We feel that suite room accommodations on Celebrity are better, as is food in the Luminae. We also feel that the avoidance of dreaded lines and crowds was actually a plus for Celebrity suites — even though this factor is great on Regent. As a plus for Regent, tips are really not expected, and have often been declined. And some shore excursions are included in the fare on Regent, but they tend to be bus rides. The better excursions cost extra.

All I am here to ask about tipping with AI in the Retreat is to get information to compare “apples to apples” As I’m deciding between this and Regent when we book our next cruise. And that will be when the Covid situation, the labor shortage, the airline flight lack of dependability, and the supply shortage all become more under control.

I’m afraid you have a very long wait…..

Tips Included, tips Not Included----

Give the person who delivers your order a few $$ --

It won't " kill you ", it's not a bribe , you are not getting " sucked in " for something you aren't sure whether it's included or not.  

So, let's say you gave a tip and later found out that it was included , there's an excuse to head straight to GR and remove All your Gratuities--- Now, Ya feel better ???

Unbelievable that there are 6 pages on this .

( Ya, I know --- So don't read it )

• Like 2