3 day covid test question

luvs2beachit

We  cruising on Monday and I have scheduled my covid test for Friday, 3 days before based on Carnivals definition of fully vaccinated.

I have had two shots and one booster (3/30/2022) and am not eligible for a second booster until Aug.  

My concern is that I was eligible for a booster months prior but didn't get it until March.  Am I still considered up to date with only the 

one booster shot?  The wording on the website says up-to-date with all eligible booster shots in order to test 3 days in advance.

Does that mean that I am supposed to have had the second booster in order to qualify for the 3 days test  or am I considered up-to-date

because I am not eligible for the 2nd booster until August??  I know crazy!  I am making myself and everyone around me crazy

You are fine.  Their website is a bit confusing but John Heald has stated many times they are only requiring the one booster to test 3 days. 

And regardless of when you were eligible for the first booster, it doesn't matter.  You still aren't eligible for the second one yet anyway if it was required. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with pcvtgmom, I get my test tomorrow and leave Saturday from Jacksonville, so far only one booster is required that allows 3 day testing.  I guess if the powers to be determine fully vaccinated is two shots and two boosters then things will change. Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, elklemi said:

Agree with pcvtgmom, I get my test tomorrow and leave Saturday from Jacksonville, so far only one booster is required that allows 3 day testing.  I guess if the powers to be determine fully vaccinated is two shots and two boosters then things will change. Enjoy your cruise.

Do you know where I can find it in writing that I don't need the second booster to test 3 days before? Someone said John Heald answered that question many times but I can't find it. lol  Just to clarify...I am eligible for the second one but didn't get it.

I just want to be sure I'm not testing on the wrong day. 🙂

Edited by green eyed lady
  • Thanks 1

You are boosted and up to date at the time of sailing so you can test in 3 days. You are making an already complicated thing even more complicated. Calm down.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, green eyed lady said:

Do you know where I can find it in writing that I don't need the second booster to test 3 days before? Someone said John Heald answered that question many times but I can't find it. lol

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 1.45.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 1.49.54 PM.png

Edited by 1kaper
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, green eyed lady said:

Do you know where I can find it in writing that I don't need the second booster to test 3 days before? Someone said John Heald answered that question many times but I can't find it. lol  Just to clarify...I am eligible for the second one but didn't get it.

Carnival's COVID policies page says "including any booster dose if eligible" notice the singular dose - not doses. https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

Note that this could change tomorrow and indeed we have seen this page be updated daily if not multiple times per day with new rules. It does seem that the major changes have slowed down lately though. I think we are trending toward less testing and verification, not more.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ccpat6 said:

Wait? Why not if it's an Alaskan cruise? Are you referring to ones leaving from Canada, or would RT from Seattle be different?

If you are going into Canada the requirements for testing are different, including those leaving from Seattle.  But I do believe Canada may be changing that soon.  

16 minutes ago, Devo1459 said:

Am I reading this correct?  I’ve had two Moderna shots no booster.  I can only test in the two day window?

Yes. 

For most cruises.  Cruises going to Canada, Europe and certain longer cruises may have different requirements. 

When we booked our early July cruise we were good to test at home 3 days prior to our boarding date as all five of us have had both shots and those of us who qualify (our teen, hubby and I) are boostered.

With the CDC revision to the guidelines for the 5 - 11 years olds in the States I'm unsure how to proceed. 

I have read here that Carnival is following the CDC guideline and requiring 5 - 11 to be boostered in order for them to be considered "up to date" (meaning testing can be done 3 days prior to boarding rather than 2).

My questions are around our 10 and 12 year olds.... 

1/ Our 12 year old does not qualify for his booster shot until mid-July (168 days after second dose).

2/ Health Canada does not appear to have approved the booster shot for use in the 5 - 11 age group unless they are immunocompromised... when I try to book a booster appointment for my 10 year old, I can't. 

I assume this means that even though the kids are up to date with their vaccinations where we live, I will have to find somewhere in Long Beach to test my sons since we will be there 2 days ahead of the cruise (assuming there isn't a change in policies between now and July 9th)?? 

24 minutes ago, JillK said:

When we booked our early July cruise we were good to test at home 3 days prior to our boarding date as all five of us have had both shots and those of us who qualify (our teen, hubby and I) are boostered.

With the CDC revision to the guidelines for the 5 - 11 years olds in the States I'm unsure how to proceed. 

I have read here that Carnival is following the CDC guideline and requiring 5 - 11 to be boostered in order for them to be considered "up to date" (meaning testing can be done 3 days prior to boarding rather than 2).

My questions are around our 10 and 12 year olds.... 

1/ Our 12 year old does not qualify for his booster shot until mid-July (168 days after second dose).

2/ Health Canada does not appear to have approved the booster shot for use in the 5 - 11 age group unless they are immunocompromised... when I try to book a booster appointment for my 10 year old, I can't. 

I assume this means that even though the kids are up to date with their vaccinations where we live, I will have to find somewhere in Long Beach to test my sons since we will be there 2 days ahead of the cruise (assuming there isn't a change in policies between now and July 9th)?? 

You can test 3 days ahead for them.  They are not eligible for a booster.  

I sailed with my 7 yo who was fully vaxxed but not eligible for a booster.  We tested 3 days ahead. 

We are also concerned about testing. We have a Mediterranean cruise from Rome in September but will be traveling through France before and then will be in Rome 3 days before cruise. Trying to figure out how we will get tested for the cruise. Considering using our US government tests but have to confirm that they are accepted by Carnival. Has anyone used these for pre cruise testing?

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

You can test 3 days ahead for them.  They are not eligible for a booster.  

I sailed with my 7 yo who was fully vaxxed but not eligible for a booster.  We tested 3 days ahead. 

I assume you cruised since Carnival updated their policy? 

That's great to know - thanks for your reply.

1 minute ago, JillK said:

I assume you cruised since Carnival updated their policy? 

That's great to know - thanks for your reply.

I sailed the end of March.  The requirement was the same  

Except where destination requirements differ*, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing.

• Up to date means a guest has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible.

Your children aren't eligible.  So they are considered up to date. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I sailed the end of March.  The requirement was the same  

Except where destination requirements differ*, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing.

• Up to date means a guest has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible.

Your children aren't eligible.  So they are considered up to date. 

OK thanks so much. It was this post that had me concerned since the CDC's guidelines changed in late May.

1 hour ago, JillK said:

OK thanks so much. It was this post that had me concerned since the CDC's guidelines changed in late May.

Ah.  That has changed since we sailed then.  It is confusing because Canada and the US are different. I would go with 2 days personally then.  If you can't get an appointment in the US you can take proctored tests.  We purchased test kits from SwitchHealth.  They aren't too expensive and you can do them anywhere.  It was fairly easy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1kaper said:

Ah.  That has changed since we sailed then.  It is confusing because Canada and the US are different. I would go with 2 days personally then.  If you can't get an appointment in the US you can take proctored tests.  We purchased test kits from SwitchHealth.  They aren't too expensive and you can do them anywhere.  It was fairly easy. 

It certainly is tough to keep up with the shifting policies. I have found a CVS near our hotel so I will call them directly. The site is difficult as they are looking for insurance info and your state of residency. I

If that doesn't work we will go the switch health route but what a drag! 

3 hours ago, JillK said:

It certainly is tough to keep up with the shifting policies. I have found a CVS near our hotel so I will call them directly. The site is difficult as they are looking for insurance info and your state of residency. I

If that doesn't work we will go the switch health route but what a drag! 

We've done the testing in Florida and had the vaccines and booster in Florida.  Just fill in and use your Ont drivers license and put in Ohio, it worked for us.  Done that in Walgreen and CVS