earliest flight from MIA

Akheila

We usually cruise from FLL. This time though its MIA.  What is the earliest flight you would recommend for international flights?  Airports are never fun, however with things picking up, how backed up are the airports?  

We had booked a noon flight, but with a flight change, now they have moved it to 11:10 .... we are adults, no kids to slow us down.  

Before Covid, we would've done it, people were used to traveling, now...things don't go as smoothly.

Airport check-in, TSA Security (do you have pre-check?), etc. make an 11:10 international flight from MIA tough.  You need to be at MIA by about 9:00 (earlier is better) and the ride from POM to MIA (weekday? weekend?) will take 20+ minutes.  That translates into off the ship, with bags and clear of customs/immigration by not long after 8:00.  It could work if you can carry your bags off and nothing goes wrong, but do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? 🤔

If it was me I would call the airline and tell them that the new flight time does not work - find something leaving in the afternoon.  Its' your call!

• Like 1

Thanks.  We did call the cruise line...they suggested it would be fine.  We decided that we would feel better if we took a different flight.  We don't want to spend a week relaxing, only to have that wiped out with the stress of getting home.  

Too many "ifs" in the equation, so we'll stay in Miami an extra night.  Now the search for a hotel....

12 hours ago, Akheila said:

Thanks.  We did call the cruise line...they suggested it would be fine.  We decided that we would feel better if we took a different flight.  We don't want to spend a week relaxing, only to have that wiped out with the stress of getting home.  

Too many "ifs" in the equation, so we'll stay in Miami an extra night.  Now the search for a hotel....

Smart move. Have a great cruise! 😎

• Like 1

I think you can make that if you do self assist walk off as early as possible.  My last 2 cruises in Nov and April we walked off in Miami about 7:15 and made it to FLL 2 hours before out 10:30 flight. MIA would be at least 15 minutes closer.  

• Like 1

watching the amount of flight cancelations and other delays....I'm not sure we'd make it.  Traveling in November and April, prior to everything opening full force...maybe, but given the current volume that is only building and with kids out of school....we chose not to risk it

• 2 weeks later...

Well...a little update.... Won't make the flight. They cancelled the trip to hours before check in to Miami... So we're driving 22 hours straight. Should arrive in Miami 5am of the departure day 

3 hours ago, Akheila said:

Well...a little update.... Won't make the flight. They cancelled the trip to hours before check in to Miami... So we're driving 22 hours straight. Should arrive in Miami 5am of the departure day 

Ughhhh!  Safe travels and, I hope, a wonderful cruise with no return flight issues. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Akheila said:

Ouch, that's one heck of a drive. I have my fingers crossed that we won't be facing the same issue come Nov. We're booked on American out of YYZ to MIA. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it was a 28 hour drive, from YYZ to MIA, pulled into Parking at 9:30 am day of cruise.  But we made it and had great weather the whole time.

We've just arrived home, we took 2 days to come home..still tired. But work in the morning...

No one can say this family isn't up for adventure when there's a cruise at stake!  LOL

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 5:19 AM, Akheila said:

I also called NCL - was told that any flight after 11:00 would be just fine - so we have booked the transfer through the ship to the airport - and the 11:10 flight 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 11:51 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

That's brutal, but everyone has to be prepared to drive or miss their cruise at this point. I would be devastated to miss because of the airlines. This is not ending any time soone. 

True!  Even though it means paying for an extra night's lodging and food, we're seriously thinking about flying to the port 2 days before our cruise leaves instead of the usual one day.   And let's not forget how weather can mess with your plans.  We had our southbound Autotrain reservation cancelled the night before we were supposed to leave because of flooding on the tracks.  

With all of the airport problems going on, Hubby and I are now flying into Miami 2 days before our cruise.  We normally fly in just 1 day before.  After the cruise, we will stay 1 extra day. Not worried about after, but the departing is concerning. Hoping that 2 days in advance will work for us.  We are flying to/from ORD-MIA,  MIA-ORD. We leave this Thursday for the cruise this weekend.  

• Like 1