Covid test for Apex B2B

AbbyCruiser45

Hi all- my parents are on Apex now and got a surprise letter that as B2B cruisers, they needed to report for a Covid test tomorrow (last day before the first leg ends). We were surprised because we thought testing was discontinued. When she called the desk, the crew member said that they had been doing B2B testing since March. Can anyone on the leg before this current one confirm if you had B2B testing? Thank you! 

We were on the April 30 transatlantic on Apex, followed by the May 14 British Isles on Apex.  During the first week or 10 days of the transatlantic, we saw word on these boards that Celebrity was no longer testing B2B passengers.  So I asked and was told "we are not doing that anymore."  And indeed, they did not test us.  So they certainly have not consistently been testing B2B passengers since March.

For what it is worth, by the last few days of both cruises, the Captain announced that we had reached 3% of passengers testing positive.  If you count non-self-reporters, and people who tested positive a few days after returning home, I am sure that it was higher.  If Apex has re-started B2B testing, this might be why.

Tom & Judy

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TFree said:

We were on the April 30 transatlantic on Apex, followed by the May 14 British Isles on Apex.  During the first week or 10 days of the transatlantic, we saw word on these boards that Celebrity was no longer testing B2B passengers.  So I asked and was told "we are not doing that anymore."  And indeed, they did not test us.  So they certainly have not consistently been testing B2B passengers since March.

For what it is worth, by the last few days of both cruises, the Captain announced that we had reached 3% of passengers testing positive.  If you count non-self-reporters, and people who tested positive a few days after returning home, I am sure that it was higher.  If Apex has re-started B2B testing, this might be why.

Tom & Judy

I was also on the Apex TA and quarantined on the British Isles cruise. I do know that b2b testing was done at the end of the British Isles cruise.....and, IMHO, should have been done at the end of the TA cruise. Whether they tested between the British Isles and Fjords cruises or the next ones I don't know. I'm sure there were a lot who got a surprise when they tested to fly home. At least that's not needed now. 

1 minute ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

At least that's not needed now. 

Yes, agree with this. If a positive crops up tomorrow, they’re at least relieved to know they can isolate for 5 days in Amsterdam and then fly home without worry of a certificate of recovery. 

4 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Yes, agree with this. If a positive crops up tomorrow, they’re at least relieved to know they can isolate for 5 days in Amsterdam and then fly home without worry of a certificate of recovery. 

There is no longer testing required to return to the U.S. so they would not require a certificate of recovery or even a test.  

Back in May when we tested positive that wasn't the case but had to wait until 10 days after testing positive to get a COR. 

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

There is no longer testing required to return to the U.S. so they would not require a certificate of recovery or even a test.  

Back in May when we tested positive that wasn't the case but had to wait until 10 days after testing positive to get a COR. 

Wonderful timing, because it appears that my parents are in a similar situation to you and Iain. On the B2B testing, my dad came up positive and my mom negative. He has no symptoms at all.  They’re very relieved they won’t have to wait 10+ days for a certificate of recovery. Funny that they are also missing the Norwegian Fjords, much like you! 

1 hour ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Wonderful timing, because it appears that my parents are in a similar situation to you and Iain. On the B2B testing, my dad came up positive and my mom negative. He has no symptoms at all.  They’re very relieved they won’t have to wait 10+ days for a certificate of recovery. Funny that they are also missing the Norwegian Fjords, much like you! 

Sorry to hear they are missing.  

I have mixed feelings on the U.S. dropping the testing requirements.   But most of EU has also dropped testing requirements.   

With no testing requirements and no isolation requirements in places like the U.K and other countries..   There will obviously be people on the flights (but I guess even with testing they would also be on the flight)  and without masking requirements I suspect some will be infected.   Oh well.... I guess it's the new norm.    Maybe heard immunity is the way to beat this disease or maybe we learn to live with it like the Flu.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I guess it's the new norm.    Maybe heard immunity is the way to beat this disease or maybe we learn to live with it like the Flu.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have any other choice.

Also, the crew on Apex said that they are now reinforcing B2B testing fleet wide...who knows if that is true. I think it's unfortunate that Celebrity is reverting to stricter policies, whereas Viking is moving forward in policies by removing testing both on board and pre-boarding.

I'm really split on continuing healthy measures and moving forward. At this point, for vaccinated and boosted individuals, symptoms are either non-existent or mild. If we are not testing pre-boarding and B2B cruisers for strep, flu, and other contagious illnesses, then we should not be testing vaccinated passengers for Covid. 

We are on a b2b on the Beyond and will be tested on Wednesday. We were told they dropped the b2b testing briefly but it has now been reinstated fleet wide. Makes sense I guess as new cruise and others are being tested to board. We have just had to be a bit more cautious in the run up to the test no big deal. 

2 hours ago, fourrowdys said:

Those who  had to leave your B2B on Amsterdam due to a Covid positive test—did Celebrity or Amsterdam government hold your passport?

They did not for my parents. My mom said it was pretty unorganized and Celebrity really never said a thing to them in terms of what to do next. I was easily able to book a hotel for them, so they are checked in there. 

On 6/18/2022 at 1:01 PM, AbbyCruiser45 said:

I'm really split on continuing healthy measures and moving forward. At this point, for vaccinated and boosted individuals, symptoms are either non-existent or mild. If we are not testing pre-boarding and B2B cruisers for strep, flu, and other contagious illnesses, then we should not be testing vaccinated passengers for Covid. 

Unfortunately this is not true for everyone. I am triple vaxxed and caught covid from my son, and was very sick even with the antiviral, and I'm in my 30s. Not all cases are mild.

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

When they test on a b2b cruise, do they test on last full day or turnaround day?

We have been on several cruises since the global suspension of cruises.  For B2B passengers the testing will be done on the last full day.  Not the turnaround day.