$1 Deposits are Coming!

ceilidh1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Great, have a big promotion over a six day period which includes three days (the holiday weekend) that most TAs will be closed and two days that Princess will be closed.

Way to go marketing department!

Just put a courtesy hold on the cabin you want until your TA is back to work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, tonit964 said:

I don't think it's a question of if they have the funds for the normal deposit rather it's an incentive to book a bunch of cruises/cabins for minimal financial loss if they just decide to let them cancel with only a $1 loss each.

Hence my comments about bookings that don't end up as actual sailings. It puts more bookings in their database, but is it really going to relate to many more cruisers? Perhaps some cruisers who would have booked eventually anyway will be spurred to book now instead, but in the end that doesn't result in more passengers actually sailing either.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

20 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Another gem from the man behind the medallion,

"We're hemorrhaging millions and need to increase our cash flow, let's have a $1 deposit sale"

There might be some quarterly report propaganda value:

"Our bookings are far ahead of last year at this time..."

• Like 3

I wonder how many cruises you can put deposits on.  Might be fun just as a lark to put deposits on 50 or more cruises.  If enough of us did that it would have an interesting effect on the apparent availability of cabins.

DON

On 6/20/2022 at 6:34 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

Is this really that great an incentive? If prospective passengers don't have the modest normal $200 deposit to book a cruise, how are they going to pay for the rest of the cruise? I'm sure it will result in extra bookings, but I expect far fewer of those bookings will end up making their final payment than is normally the case.

DCThunder may be exactly right on the intent of this promotion: Get some extra bookings so things look better for Wall Street, even if many of those bookings don't end up being completed as cruises taken.

I usually have FCDs on hand so the $1 deposit doesn't matter to me. However, on the rare occasion I don't have them I am often reluctant to put out the crazy deposits since I couldn't care less what room I have - I would prefer that money stay in MY account rather than theirs. As an example, I was looking at a sailing later this year and for four people the deposit was $1000. Sure, I have the money or I wouldn't be booking the cruise...I would just rather keep that $1000 and book closer to sailing and just pay in full. If it was $1 deposit that sailing would have been booked without a second thought. 

• Like 4

I may go ahead and book a Vancouver RT to hold while I weigh the pros and cons between it and Seattle (pricing of flights ect). I have RT out of Seattle booked but I have been considering moving to Vancouver 

Normally I don't care about this promo because we use FCDs to book. Having totally screwed up on our last cruise and failing to buy the batch of FCDs we intended to purchase this might work out for us. We're looking at a B2B2B next year. Two 14 day cruises with a 4 day sandwiched between them. 32 days in the same cabin. The deposits are $800, $200, and $800. I think I'd rather risk $3 than $1,800.

• Like 6

Princess did the $1 deposit thing as a promotion for new cruises with Galveston as the home port.  We booked a Panama Canal cruise for 2023.  Our FCC had expired with Covid isolation, so having to only invest $2 was great.  Also with that little down, no reason to get insurance until final payment.  It is a win-win for us.

I'm guessing that cruise lines have to escrow deposits, so whether it is $1 or 20% doesn't hit the bottom line.