Cruising with a CPAP

kmm99

Is distilled water available on ship? Everything I see is spring water. My TA said it could be ordered through room service? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, hillbillycruisers said:

I have cruised several times with my Cpap, and only used the cabin tap water. It has always been just fine, with absolutely no adverse effects on my machine. I actually had a sleep disorder doctor tell me this would be perfectly okay to do. 😀

I did that on a cruise before.  Then casually mentioned it to my VA doctor, and he acted as if that woulda killed me on the spot or something..lol.

But, glad I saw this, cuz I didn't know you could order through room service, or bring it.  

14 minutes ago, Rollin Tide said:

I did that on a cruise before.  Then casually mentioned it to my VA doctor, and he acted as if that woulda killed me on the spot or something..lol.

But, glad I saw this, cuz I didn't know you could order through room service, or bring it.  

Depending on how casually you said this the VA doc may not have understood the ship water is "distilled".  A gallon of distilled water from a bottle would last me 2 months.

My sleep doc told me years and many cruises ago to just not worry about hassling with distilled water.. He said the reason we use that is because the minerals can build up and cause problems with the machine, but that's over a long period of time. He said a week is nothing, and to just rinse the tank out well when I get home.

Tap water will not kill you, and would be fine for the week. Just rinse out the tank every day for any particles. You will only be inhaling the water vapor as it evaporates. It just leaves the minerals in the water behind. When I use it, I use tap water. Not killed me yet in over 20 years of use. In the humid Caribbean, I don't even use the humidifier.

I just got off the Splendor last week.  I called room service and was quickly delivered a gallon of distilled water.  I was ice cold.  The cost was $3.54 before tip.  

I also took a couple of European plug adaptors.  I unplugged the lamp next to the bed and used the adaptor to plug in CPAP machine.  

image.png.abecb9f10ecdd84abeff0942a177441b.png

I previous cruises I have had room steward bring me an extension cord so that I could use the lone US 110v outlet.