Inside Passage

cruiseforus

We are looking at a RCL Cruise this September on the Quantum. The itinerary looks good but it does not do the Inside Passage. How important is seining the Inside Passage. We have a very limited window when we could go and this itinerary is the only one that fits into our schedule. I’m just hesitant because it does not go thru the inside passage. I called and they said they just barely go thru it but really just for a very very short time. So basically no. I’m looking for opinions. It’s our First Alaska Cruise. We are in our 70’s and not sure we will get back to Alaska and want to see glaciers and the beauty of Alaska. Are we going to miss a lot of the beauty with this itinerary and not sailing the Inside passage?
Here is the itinerary. 
Seattle, Icy Point, Skagway,, Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, Juneau, Victoria BC, Seattle. 

Thanks for any help and opinions. 

Will a round trip out of Vancouver work for you ? RCI Serenade has a great itinerary we're sailing on in September. This will be our 5th Alaska cruise all have been the Northbound and one round trip but always from Vancouver. We tend to avoid the Seattle ones as too much time is spent going and coming back to Seattle. 

What ever works for you...hoping you enjoy Alaska.

The inside passage is pretty, and the water is not as rough.  How late in September are you looking at?  At least you are going up Endicott Arm.  Too bad you are not visiting Glacier Bay.  When you sail out of Seattle, the ship must make a stop at Victoria.  Look to see how long you are there.  

If it was me, I would look at more options.  You could do better.......

INSIDE PASSAGE - any passage with - land - island - something between you and the open

Pacific Ocean.

Commonly the passage between Vancouver Island and the Canada mainland is what folks

think is the Inside Passage - true it is - BUT there are also inside passages in the southeast

panhandle of Alaska (USA).

Ships sailing out of Seattle see the Alaska inside passageways - those sailing out of and

returning to Vancouver see the Canadian one which is spectacular because of its narrowness -

almost can reach out and touch land in passing.

Yes SE Alaska includes parts of the inside passage but it is nothing like you see if you leave from Vancouver. We did the cruise out of Seattle once and were very disappointed. So if possible, try sailing out of or into Vancouver. Sailing out of Seattle means two days sailing in open ocean- rougher seas with not a lot to see, although you might see whales. 

However, it is only one part of the Alaska experience so if your timing does not allow for sailing out of Vancouver- there are a lot of other amazing things to see.

10 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

If it was me, I would look at more options.  You could do better.......

Also, the Quantum is a large ship carrying well over 4 thousands passengers.  It has all the 'bells and whistles' that you may or may not want or need.  You might consider a smaller ship.

The Grand Princess departs from Vancouver, BC and visits Glacier Bay, Endicott Arm/ Dawes Glacier, Sitka, Icy Strait, Prince Rupeet, Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau. Other parts September 14th.

We have cruised Alaska 4 times and are doing this itinerary because it departs from Vancouver and has 3 new ports and a glacier for us.

The larger ships, even the ones that depart out of Vancouver, do not sail through the lower portion of the inside passage (the Seymour Narrows) which is an incredible experience.

AND

Many smaller ships, even though they depart out of Vancouver, do so in the evening so much of the most beautiful sailing is done in the dark!

If you really want to enjoy the lower inside passage, you need to target a sailing itinerary that is compatible.  I love sailing Alaska, and I enjoy the port stops, but seems like most of the big lines and bigger ships have optimized their itineraries to maximize port times, thus shortening the enjoyment of sailing through the narrow and beautiful places. :(

• Like 1

We weren’t terribly impressed with the Inside Passage scenery but did appreciate the calm waters it provided.  In our opinion the real show stopper is Glacier National Park and it would be a deal breaker if it wasn’t on the itinerary.D04CCD4C-B1DE-4E32-834E-3D9897F8E449.thumb.jpeg.175eb6446aa06017ceb5f926dfa0378c.jpegBD1B1B8D-5EA9-4192-B55C-34430EBAFE8A.thumb.jpeg.77687fb7d230e59af18218e4002805ae.jpeg3342F53D-B111-453D-ADAD-F1E42DD6E2FB.thumb.jpeg.2554deaa243f21e816db429cfb3fb5f5.jpeg7E4C8EB9-A8CE-4181-80D9-EB4A28EC2B75.thumb.jpeg.669ccb7896b94e46cb8fae1ef13deec4.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Senga said:

We weren’t terribly impressed with the Inside Passage scenery but did appreciate the calm waters it provided.  In our opinion the real show stopper is Glacier National Park and it would be a deal breaker if it wasn’t on the itinerary.BD1B1B8D-5EA9-4192-B55C-34430EBAFE8A.thumb.jpeg.77687fb7d230e59af18218e4002805ae.jpeg

Yes! Especially if it may be your only visit to Alaska, Glacier Bay is a must!

• Like 1