Packing

Monica887

I know, I know - wear layers. But realistically, next week (beginning of July):

*What am I wearing daily? Long pants, tee, sweatshirt?

*Are hiking pants too thin?

*Will I ever need shorts? 

*Bathing suit for hot tub?

*Nice pants and casual top for dinner? Or dress with a sweater? Does it get much colder at night?

*Warm hat and thin gloves for glaciers/whale watching?

*Sneakers/low top hiking shoes?

If it was just me I'd bring like 4 outfits and a sweatshirt and be done, but I want to make sure the kids are comfortable to avoid problems!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

I know, I know - wear layers. But realistically, next week (beginning of July):

*What am I wearing daily? Long pants, tee, sweatshirt? - Depends on what weather you are used to we are from Florida and wear long pants even if temps in low 70’s. 

9 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

*Are hiking pants too thin?- I found hiking pants worked fine for touring but for glacier viewing needed warmer pants. 

*Will I ever need shorts? -you might one pair probably sufficient 

*Bathing suit for hot tub? Yes, your kids will probably want to get in the pool also. 

*Nice pants and casual top for dinner? Or dress with a sweater?  Does it get much colder at night? —Pants and casual top is perfect. Night can get really cool so if you want to be out on deck enjoying the stars plan accordingly. 

*Warm hat and thin gloves for glaciers/whale watching? Absolutely and a warmer jacket is helpful

*Sneakers/low top hiking shoes? Either works just make sure if using sneakers you waterproof as can get pretty rainy 

If it was just me I'd bring like 4 outfits and a sweatshirt and be done, but I want to make sure the kids are comfortable to avoid problems!

And our week (6/11-6/18/22) was cold, windy and wet the entire time.  Seattle was partly sunny and 70, so I was second-guessing my packing but weather turned cold, wet, windy and I was glad for all the cold weather gear I had packed.  

You never kn ow what weather will be like!

Kids are 8 and 11. So they can re-wear some clothes, but also can be messy at times. 

For the kids, does this make sense:

5 long pants

2 shorts

5 long sleeves

5 short sleeves

2 sweatshirts

Raincoat/windbreaker

10 socks

10 underwear

3 PJs

Bathing suit

5 nicer, dinner outfits (some nights we may not change, or they can re-wear)

We are off next week as well and was just coming to ask..I know layers, but the forecast is 15-25C for the week at all the ports we hit, I was planning for 10-15C so Im wondering if I should leave the winter jackets..we are 7 people and as OP said, takes up a lot of room.  Wondering if a base layer like t shirt plus hoodie plus wind breaker would suffice given the forecast most days?

3 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

We are off next week as well and was just coming to ask..I know layers, but the forecast is 15-25C for the week at all the ports we hit, I was planning for 10-15C so Im wondering if I should leave the winter jackets..we are 7 people and as OP said, takes up a lot of room.  Wondering if a base layer like t shirt plus hoodie plus wind breaker would suffice given the forecast most days?

Based on the current forecast I would skip the winter coats. In 2019 the temps were about 10*F cooler than the current forecast and were fine in a shirt and hoodie or windbreaker. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, WxNerd said:

Based on the current forecast I would skip the winter coats. In 2019 the temps were about 10*F cooler than the current forecast and were fine in a shirt and hoodie or windbreaker. 

Thanks, that's helpful. As long as the little kid is comfortable and doesn't melt down while whale watching or something! 

Well, I felt confident with my packing decisions after overthinking it all. And now we are here on the ship, without our luggage. Thanks, Air Canada! We may get it on Wednesday or we may not get it at all. I bought socks, underwear and one extra outfit. But none of my cruise gear (lanyards, magnet hooks ...) or binoculars and dry bag, even basic makeup or anything. Will wear clothes twice and use the laundry, and not change for dinner.

😂

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:45 PM, Monica887 said:

So, I need a winter coat? Not just long sleeves and sweatshirts and raincoats? 

4 winter coats is a LOT of luggage space...

I suggest a hoodie or good outer fleece at the most for each person

15 minutes ago, nini said:

Lesson learned. We will never book Air Canada. Too many negative reports.

Seriously? What airline haven't you heard negative reports about? Have you listened closely? The "lost luggage" rate, industry wide, is about 1%.

5 hours ago, Monica887 said:

Well, I felt confident with my packing decisions after overthinking it all. And now we are here on the ship, without our luggage. Thanks, Air Canada! We may get it on Wednesday or we may not get it at all. I bought socks, underwear and one extra outfit. But none of my cruise gear (lanyards, magnet hooks ...) or binoculars and dry bag, even basic makeup or anything. Will wear clothes twice and use the laundry, and not change for dinner.

😂

I feel your pain and sympathize with you.  Kudos to you for making the best of a bad situation!  Enjoy your cruise!!

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Seriously? What airline haven't you heard negative reports about? Have you listened closely? The "lost luggage" rate, industry wide, is about 1%.

This is what I have concluded based on many comments from the Cruise Air Forum. This has to do with more than lost luggage in reference to Air Canada. True, lost luggage is world wide.

Edited by nini

Yes, you might need to wear shorts.  That's what layers are.  If for no other reason than you need them in the Fitness Center on at-sea days.   If it's in the 50's and we're doing hiking, I might wear shorts and a sweatshirt.

I never bothered with shorts.  Pants and a t-shirt were perfectly sufficient.  If you are run super warm, then maybe, otherwise it's a nice to have, and if you are worried about space it's easy to leave behind.  

For glaciers and such we found that hiking pants with a base layer underneath along with warm socks, a t-shirt and fleece jacket super helpful.

I just got back from our Alaska trip with the kids, and have a whole section in my trip report on packing that you might find helpful:

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 1:10 PM, Monica887 said:

😂

Well, no luggage for us. It's still in Vancouver. We should be able to get it on the way home, but will not have it at all for the cruise. 

I’m a little late in joining this post. I feel so sorry for the lost luggage. And not to be callous, but of all the cruises, Alaska is probably the best location for you to not have your luggage. Alaska is so relaxed and comfortable no one will notice if you wear the same clothes over and over. I hope you and your family had a blast in Alaska. 

however, what I was going to add for the packing list was…don’t worry too much about the 5 t-shirts and 2 sweatshirts for everyone. You are on vacation and some of the more reasonable “souvenirs” are t-shirts and sweatshirts. Just add an “overflow bag” that folds up really small in your suitcase and use it for all the surplus “souvenirs “ you’ll bring back 😉😉

On 6/29/2022 at 1:45 PM, Monica887 said:

So, I need a winter coat? Not just long sleeves and sweatshirts and raincoats? 

4 winter coats is a LOT of luggage space...

I have been to Alaska 4 times over the years and have never brought a winter coat with me. I don't own one. I am sailing there again late next month and my outer wear is usually a fleece jacket.