Viking restaurant / cafe / bars opening, closing, and exception times

SempreMare

Context:

I had an amazing time on my first cruise with Holland America, Seward Alaska to Vancouver, in 2019. 
However, several times I was stymied by either not knowing, not remembering,  or begin told incorrect info on opening / closing times of restaurants, lounges, cafes, and room service.  Then there were all the exception conditions that change the normal opening / closing times.   For whatever reason I seemed to want to eat at the very end or very beginning of service.

This challenge also happens during land travel, especially on arrival day. 
It's insufficient to ask the hotel receptionist simply:   1) "What time does your restaurant close?" 

I've learned to prevent surprises, to ask the receptionist to call the restaurant to find out
2) "What time does the kitchen close?"
3) "When is the latest time could a guest order a dinner entree?

Question

1) Has anyone seen a travelers' website where Viking Ocean's restaurant / cafe / bars opening, closing, exception times are listed? 
2) During the cruise, is the Viking Voyager app the best source of this info? 
Are all the times also on the daily printouts?  (I'd guess not...).  Or just the exception closures / hour changes on the daily printouts.

This is what I've started so far in a handy Google Doc...  I'll update with all the times when complete after my cruise.

Not sure this matters, but I'll be on British Isles Explorer, London (Greenwich) to Bergen aboard  Viking Mars

=== Restaurants
--- The Restaurant, Deck 2 back, closed on port days
Breakfast:  
Lunch:
Dinner: 

--- Chef's Table  - Deck 1
Dinner: 

---  Manfredi's - Deck 1
Dinner: 

===  Cafes

Mansen's -  Deck 7 front starboard          
Wintergarden -  Deck 7 middle near main pool

Pool Grill -  Deck 7 middle port

Pool Bar -  Deck 7 middle starboard

World Cafe - Deck 7 back near the infinity pool

=== Bars

Torshavn - deck 2 middle near the shops and atrium

Aquavit Terrace - Deck 7 back near the infinity pool
The Bar - Deck 2  middle near the Living Room and Atrium 
Explorer's Lounge Bar - Deck 7 front

=== Room Service 

24 hours a day
Breakfast: 
Lunch: 
Dinner:
? Late night menu hours:

The short answer is that I think I can save you a lot of work in Google docs by posting this photo of the back page of the daily 😃 

In our experience the back page has always contained all this information. It is probably in the app too, but I've never bothered to look there. 

This one is from the first day of our midnight sun cruise and it was waiting for us in the cabin when we arrived. A new version was delivered to the cabin around 7 or 8 pm each evening.

The hours are generally much the same in most venues except the restaurant is sometimes open for breakfast and lunch, especially on sea days. Any variations are detailed on the back page of The Daily.

All room service items are available 24 hours a day, so you could have breakfast at five in the afternoon if you choose!

I'm sure you will love Viking and I suggest you are on deck for your sail out of Greenwich along the Thames. It is largely through an industrial area but it is a tight fit through the Thames Barrier and the sail under the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge at Dartford is not something that many people get to do. As it happens DW and I had our first home together in Greenwich many years ago. Do note though that sail away could be any time of the day or night as it depends on the tide.

IMG_20220701_074309.jpg

Edited by photopro2
missed word space
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The opening times are printed on page 4 (the back page) of the Viking daily for all dining venues, shops, spa, gym, room service, medical centre

The 4 page daily is very helpful.  Page 3 lists times and places to meet for excursions (times may differ slightly from what you booked) and whether you need the Quiet Vox.  Even so some arrive without it.  It is advised to take a copy of the daily with you in case you need to contact the ship, the phone number is on the front page.

Pages 2 and 3 lists the activities on the ship with times and places.

• Like 1

As mentioned, the Daily will post the opening/closing hours of all venues. Note that each cruise will have variants based on the itinerary and will not even translate to the same itinerary each time based on local conditions. For that reason, there won’t be a travelers’ website of the times either.

• Like 1

Yes the back of the Viking Daily is your daily time source.  I found the greatest deviation was WC breakfast opening time varying from 5 to 7 AM.  The Restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch on sea days or if port arrival is not until noon.  Dinner time in all restaurants is 6 to 9 pm, however on one Covid social distancing cruise, the WC and the Restaurant opened at 5:30 some days.  

• Like 1

Right. It varies per itinerary and local conditions. Earlier breakfast times can be because of early docking & early excursions, tendering, and/or early disembarkations, for instance. If a port is missed and otherwise the restaurant was not going to be open for lunch, it will be open, usually. Sometimes the pool grill is open early afternoon with special meals—usually on sea days. Some bars are closed when in some ports due to local regs about whether the country will allow alcohol service. It varies! 🤗  One thing is for sure, you won’t go hungry!

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

Wow, many thanks @photopro2 for the daily capture with all the detail! 

Also many thanks to @LindaS272 @TayanaLorna 

@kcpvwill for the extra additional detail.

The specific detail that most surprised me was the Restaurant being closed for breakfast on port days.  My impression from YouTubes was it was open for bfast every day. 

Viking will also hold open the World Cafe when excursions etc are running late.  On our Trade Routes cruise, the buses from the Paris trip didn't return to Le Havre until after 9 pm.

These times and considerations are noted on page 4

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Viking will also hold open the World Cafe when excursions etc are running late.  On our Trade Routes cruise, the buses from the Paris trip didn't return to Le Havre until after 9 pm.

These times and considerations are noted on page 4

Likewise, the pool grill will stay open later than normal if there are excursions getting back late too.  

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 3:27 PM, Ceegeefl said:

The Restaurant was open for breakfast every day except the last day of our cruise in May.

On our last two cruises, the Restaurant was open on disembarkation day-it was our last civilized time before reentering the chaos of airport travel. 😱

• Like 1