Captain's Club Membership Benefits Are Coming Back Again

Godblessourhome

So glad that Celebrity reinstalls the previous entitled Captain's Club Benefits for Elites and above - more or less - again with the "cruise only" fare.

It was terrible that Celebrity took away most of the benefits that we valued: free wi-fi minutes, etc., etc., and only offered the "always included" fare which is much higher than the cruise only fare.  For those who do not drink, it is no added value at all.  (You paid for something that you do not use at all.)   I stopped booking Celebrity cruises once Celebrity introduce the "Always Included" fare because of that, as there are many other cruise lines that still offer more choices with better pricings.

Huh?  Those who don't drink?  I guess you define drinking as drinking alcohol.  There are lots of other beverages available on the drink package.  As far as the internet goes, I can use up my Elite + minutes in a few days.  Then what?  And I love having the basic tips included.  That leaves me more money to give extra tips to the wonderful staff.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Huh?  Those who don't drink?  I guess you define drinking as drinking alcohol.  There are lots of other beverages available on the drink package.  As far as the internet goes, I can use up my Elite + minutes in a few days.  Then what?  And I love having the basic tips included.  That leaves me more money to give extra tips to the wonderful staff.

The point is you now have choices which AI took away. We don't need unlimited WiFi as we prepare all messages off line, turn on WiFi push send, incoming messages arrive at the same time, turn off WiFi and check messages. Repeat twice a day have never used one 240 minute package. We don't drink alcohol just the coffees, teas and chocolate. We get our was water during the Elite Happy time - 2 bottles/cans each. Also 2 juices which we take to dinner. We pay the tips up front and would be happy to have them included in the basic price just as X does in Australia and New Zealand where it is marketed as tips not required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

The point is you now have choices which AI took away. We don't need unlimited WiFi as we prepare all messages off line, turn on WiFi push send, incoming messages arrive at the same time, turn off WiFi and check messages. Repeat twice a day have never used one 240 minute package. We don't drink alcohol just the coffees, teas and chocolate. We get our was water during the Elite Happy time - 2 bottles/cans each. Also 2 juices which we take to dinner. We pay the tips up front and would be happy to have them included in the basic price just as X does in Australia and New Zealand where it is marketed as tips not required.

As you say, all about choices…Your post bizarrely reminded me how much we enjoy the AI…

Picking up a drink (alcohol or otherwise) anytime of day.

Trying a drink I don’t know if I will like but it doesn’t matter, I can just leave it and try another.

Asking the sommelier to pair unknown wines to my food.

Browsing the internet, having ‘conversations’ with friends and family at home.

Enjoying sharing experiences by doing a live thread.

Even spending that OBC…nice to treat yourself or a family member.

Knowing my general tips are paid and I just need the extra ones.

As you say all about choices…

What I would like reinstating are some special events…Even with access to the Retreat Lounge we did enjoy a few times a cruise going to the Captains Club cocktail hour…It would be nice if they had an event for E+ too.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

As you say, all about choices…Your post bizarrely reminded me how much we enjoy the AI…

Picking up a drink (alcohol or otherwise) anytime of day.

Trying a drink I don’t know if I will like but it doesn’t matter, I can just leave it and try another.

Asking the sommelier to pair unknown wines to my food.

Browsing the internet, having ‘conversations’ with friends and family at home.

Enjoying sharing experiences by doing a live thread.

Even spending that OBC…nice to treat yourself or a family member.

Knowing my general tips are paid and I just need the extra ones.

As you say all about choices…

What I would like reinstating are some special events…Even with access to the Retreat Lounge we did enjoy a few times a cruise going to the Captains Club cocktail hour…It would be nice if they had an event for E+ too.

Exactly - everyone who liked AI can still have the benefits, anyone who doesn't (for medical reasons alcohol in any form is a "no, no" for us) now has the choice. Its a win, win for everyone. We have already changed back to X for a cruise which we were looking to do on Princess.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Godblessourhome said:

So glad that Celebrity reinstalls the previous entitled Captain's Club Benefits for Elites and above - more or less - again with the "cruise only" fare.

It was terrible that Celebrity took away most of the benefits that we valued: free wi-fi minutes, etc., etc., and only offered the "always included" fare which is much higher than the cruise only fare.  For those who do not drink, it is no added value at all.  (You paid for something that you do not use at all.)   I stopped booking Celebrity cruises once Celebrity introduce the "Always Included" fare because of that, as there are many other cruise lines that still offer more choices with better pricings.

Celebrity never took away any benefits. They were always there . The WIFI is stream and is in addition to the free basic . The drink benefit had little value with a basic package but some drinks over the base were available form 5 to 7. Rest was still of value

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:00 PM, Godblessourhome said:

I stopped booking Celebrity cruises once Celebrity introduce the "Always Included" fare because of that, as there are many other cruise lines that still offer more choices with better pricings.

I have always seen a "sail only" price available since they did the AI. Maybe not through Celebrity website, but through group bookings. 

47 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I have always seen a "sail only" price available since they did the AI. Maybe not through Celebrity website, but through group bookings. 

On selected cruises only, never on TA's , the new system is just great everyone has choices.

I'm a nerd so I made a spreadsheet. We have two cruises scheduled, and on both of them the AI price comes out to $100/day per cabin extra. Since my husband doesn't drink at all and I drink little, the Elite HH will serve my need. I always get a classic non-alcoholic package for the coffee and diet coke. I assumed one basic internet package, as our elite minutes will not suffice, and of course tips. Net savings $36 a day for the two of us. If we drank even just a little more, that would make the AI a good deal. As it is, we are happier a la carte. To each his own.

58 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

I'm a nerd so I made a spreadsheet. We have two cruises scheduled, and on both of them the AI price comes out to $100/day per cabin extra. Since my husband doesn't drink at all and I drink little, the Elite HH will serve my need. I always get a classic non-alcoholic package for the coffee and diet coke. I assumed one basic internet package, as our elite minutes will not suffice, and of course tips. Net savings $36 a day for the two of us. If we drank even just a little more, that would make the AI a good deal. As it is, we are happier a la carte. To each his own.

Use one Elite internet package first then, if you need to buy a full package part way through there are often discounts. You will still get your Elite discount on the new package. Unless you do a lot of browsing prepare emails off line, then logon, push send, incoming messages will download at the same time, log off. Read new messages off line, repeat twice a day and you will be amazed at how far a 90 minute package will extend.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:17 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

In the past we never got the drink package because..we don't drink sodas...unsweet iced tea and coffee were my go too beverages... and the Elite Cocktail Hour met my alcohol needs... and 90 mintes of internet were enough to check my emails. but I have to say... once we did get a package... I found my self drinking more specialty coffees and tried more cocktails than I did in the past...and was on the internet constantly... which in March '20 was handy to find out what was happening with covid while on Reflection. Our next cruise pricing was so good that the sale without the package was slightly higher... But in the future... I am wondering if I can go back to cruise only.....