Pre-Cruise Lateral Flow Test

arlowood

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't believe the cruise lines are trying to prove it's safe to cruise by having pre cruise tests. They are only trying to minimise the number of people who catch covid while on board.

How their sales team spin this information is a totally separate issue.

How are they actually minimising the number who catch it whilst onboard? The tests are totally meaningless  and there are no restrictions in place to prevent the spread.

1 minute ago, Yorkypete said:

How are they actually minimising the number who catch it whilst onboard? The tests are totally meaningless  and there are no restrictions in place to prevent the spread.

Its only your opinion that they're meaningless. I would imagine greater than 97% follow the rules, and of the rest only a few will be genuinely positive. So with only that level of potential infection, you minimise the potential for covid to spread.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Amazing that there were only a few 'private' companies recommended and the cruise lines would not accept the equally efficient free ones..You will not find the name of a particular politician involved but many of them refuse to say where their private money comes from. Could some have investments in the testing companies making a fortune from the public?

You have very strong views on this. As I don't care, I'll move on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Its only your opinion that they're meaningless. I would imagine greater than 97% follow the rules, and of the rest only a few will be genuinely positive. So with only that level of potential infection, you minimise the potential for covid to spread.

It is not only my opinion. The media think it as do many doctors. I can have a test in the morning before travelling and have caught it before tea time. When the passengers board a ship many will have covid or be infected so what use were the tests? They only show the 'now' factor not the future. Explain how they are meaningful?

Edited by Yorkypete

It is not only my opinion. The media think it as do many doctors. I can have a test in the morning before travelling and have caught it before tea time. When the passengers board a ship many will have covid or be infected so what use were the tests? They only show the 'now' factor not the future. Explain how they are meaningful?

1 minute ago, Pine Man said:

As meaningful as MOT tests on your car BUT should they be ignored?

It is not a question of ignoring them as they are meaningless. It is possible(but unlikely) that everyone who boards a vessel is positive making the tests a waste of money and time.

21 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

I only care about being ripped off for needless things.

I suppose the simple answer is avoid cruising and that make chance of being ripped off

minimal. Unless you go fuel a car up ,buy Lurpak butter .:classic_unsure:

Life is so unfair at times :classic_mellow:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

I suppose the simple answer is avoid cruising and that make chance of being ripped off

minimal. Unless you go fuel a car up ,buy Lurpak butter .:classic_unsure:

Life is so unfair at times :classic_mellow:

Coffee has gone up as have balloons. That's inflation for you. Sticking plasters are a rip off too.🎈

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Coffee has gone up as have balloons. That's inflation for you. Sticking plasters are a rip off too.🎈

Sat having breakfast in the hotel ,they had a butter knife and that was pointless as well :classic_wink::classic_unsure:

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Sat having breakfast in the hotel ,they had a butter knife and that was pointless as well :classic_wink::classic_unsure:

It is easy to be comical about a serious subject. All I can suggest is look up Randox on Wikipedia and elsewhere .

With regard to ongoing discussions about LFTs and the suitability of the companies involved surely it is very easy to break down the options.

1. If you want to cruise with P&O you have to have a LFT. Not much point whinging about it IMHO.

2. If you want to have a LFT there are numerous choices available. You certainly don't have to have Randox but reports suggest that they are probably the most reliable and maybe even the cheapest.

I certainly don't see it, necessarily, as a serious subject, we all, as individuals, have choices that start with Option 1.

• Like 6

On 7/11/2022 at 11:55 PM, Yorkypete said:

I agree with you. Test before boarding. Any suggestions as to which company to use ?🤔. We will use Randox on Friday.

• Like 1

Folks - coming to this a bit late.  With Randox, is it the "Randox Certifly" test that you do?

We'll be travelling down to Southampton a couple of days before, so presumably we can order them a week or two beforehand to be sure we have them, and just do the tests the day before we board?

14 minutes ago, vivienne-j said:

Folks - coming to this a bit late.  With Randox, is it the "Randox Certifly" test that you do?

We'll be travelling down to Southampton a couple of days before, so presumably we can order them a week or two beforehand to be sure we have them, and just do the tests the day before we board?

It seems that the Randox certifly antigen self test is now from £20, and my android phone does not let me place an order, it just says Android coming soon. Good job I bought 2 spare ones so have enough for my October cruise, if testing is still needed.

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It seems that the Randox certifly antigen self test is now from £20, and my android phone does not let me place an order, it just says Android coming soon. Good job I bought 2 spare ones so have enough for my October cruise, if testing is still needed.

Paid 12 quid for mine recently. Been ordering and using them on my android phone with no problem. Think you may be looking at an old advert.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Paid 12 quid for mine recently. Been ordering and using them on my android phone with no problem. Think you may be looking at an old advert.

We purchased 2 for use on Friday. £11 each. We collected them from the local newsagent

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

I was looking at their website, I assume.

Ooops you're right, I must take more care in future.

Edited by terrierjohn

On 7/13/2022 at 6:51 PM, terrierjohn said:

I was looking at their website, I assume.

Ooops you're right, I must take more care in future.

Just done it on an Android phone. Once the test strips were scanned, the centificates came through in about 15 mins.

We have received the following text regarding travelling on Ventura tomorrow

*Correction. We can't wait to welcome you on board. On the day of your holiday, please head straight to your ship's departure terminal at the time stated on your boarding pass. Don't forget to bring your most up-to-date NHS COVID-19 Pass or valid vaccination certificates issued by your local health authority including the booster where applicable (The record card that is given out at the time of vaccination will not be accepted) and your negative lateral flow/antigen test certificates taken within one day prior to embarkation (NHS tests will not be accepted). Please note, there are no testing facilities at the cruise terminal. Please ignore any previous SMS message, thanks.

We are travelling with a 6 year old and was expecting to have to do a 2nd test in Southampton is this now not the case? Anyone who if there has been a change?  @molecrochip

Wish I could help.Have you done the first one today? for her showing negative. I am as confused as you are hope someone can help .I guess she has not had vaccination so the p and o states 2 tests as you say one today and one at terminal tomorrow if not vaccinated, but text seems to imply no facilities for testing. Hope someone can help .

• Thanks 1

Re looking at the uptodate policy it does say 2nd test for 5_11 year olds done at terminal .May be P and O are covering themselves for the adults who may think they still had the drive through facilities in place or testing at terminal .Hope someone with children can comment for you to confirm 

• Thanks 1