Cruise ship internet - maybe not Cunard's fault

ballroom-cruisers

22 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Fair point.

What method would be an alternative excellent suggestion to ensure Cunard sits up and takes notice?

I have no suggestions, I'm afraid, and, while I admit the internet is disappointingly bad, for me it is not a major concern, compared to the food, service, cabin, public rooms, ports visited, lectures, and weather. However, I'm sure none of us would wish to be responsible for gumming up the service in such a way that a fellow passenger was prevented from receiving a genuinely important message.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I have no suggestions, I'm afraid, and, while I admit the internet is disappointingly bad, for me it is not a major concern, compared to the food, service, cabin, public rooms, ports visited, lectures, and weather. However, I'm sure none of us would wish to be responsible for gumming up the service in such a way that a fellow passenger was prevented from receiving a genuinely important message.

Important messages do still arrive, as the down times are very short but annoying to Cunard.

For something of great import, one has always telephoned the ship, being put though to the stateroom, not leaving it to any inconsistency of Email.  Once, the stateroom was unoccupied, so had a ship announcement made while one held.

50 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I actually like Cunards bad/expensive  internet.  I means we don't use it . As has been said it's just like old days, go on a cruise and leave world behind.

We were happy with the Diamond allowance so  we're with you as internet charges will now be assigned to part of our obc which would previously been spent on other things.

However, having bought CCL shares this afternoon at a most favourable rate [as long as Carnival survive the doom and gloom] the hit won't be quite so 'severe'!  😃

Edited by Victoria2

5 hours ago, Se1lad said:

I think one of the problems is that now internet is per the day rather than per the second, people leave their devices connected all the time, and ship’s infrastructure is not able to cope with so many connections.

Just off the QM2.  We did leave our devices on and connected, but the system automatically logged us off.  Each time I opened up my laptop, I had to log on again.  The disconnect was so rapid that if I took a little break to brush my teeth, I was quickly logged off.

34 minutes ago, tv24 said:

Just off the QM2.  We did leave our devices on and connected, but the system automatically logged us off.  Each time I opened up my laptop, I had to log on again.  The disconnect was so rapid that if I took a little break to brush my teeth, I was quickly logged off.

Thank you, as it confirms that those not being active for a short period are automatically logged off.  Until this post, one thought because Cunard were charging per day, regardless of activity, once logged in one stays connected to the server/internet.

I guess the time after which an inactive session is automatically logged off is a decision that the IT engineers make, and set it in their server parameters. to try to minimise the chance that too many people logged on at the same time might clog up the system. However that is different to leaving it to try to upload a picture and find it never completed the process and was logged out before it happened!

• Like 1

This won't help with the auto-logging off issue. Or the quality of the satellite link. But I checked the wifi signal in quite a few spots around the QM2. Here are the locations that had an excellent signal... if you're willing to position yourself at one of these you might have somewhat better of an experience. If you have a choice, obviously, position yourself near one of the repeaters:

Carinthia Lounge

Verandah Lounge

Queens Room

Chef's Galley

The passageway connecting the Mareel Spa to the Carinthia Lounge. A plus for this location is the assortment of both North American and UK outlets.

Some locations that I thought would be better, but surprisingly were not:

Library (near the PCs)

Connexions Lobby

Grand Lobby

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tv24 said:

My experience at the start of May was that whilst the system automatically logged me off, I still had an active wireless connection to the Cunard wifi - I may be wrong but I strongly suspect that they have not upgraded all the routers on stateroom decks and these cannot cope with the multiple connections.